Hmm so I have to think about that...
Are you able to do the same simulation with a LTC2057 opamp as the source? Whats the maximum current then? How does it depend on the output series resistor?
Based on what I understand of four wire connections, the sense wire is a feedback line with no current that allows to servo the output of the force wire so the voltage is correct at the end of the wire, where sense and force meet together.
I can do that super easily with the positive side by using the opamp feedback path as sense wire.
However, for the negative side, there is no similar circuit that can do a remote sense and adjust the ground wire potential so the ground voltage is zero at the end of the wire.
If I really want to achieve that, I see no other solution that a secondary buffer to drive the negative side, and that would require a negative supply.
However, I dont want to do that on this board. I want this board to use an unipolar supply, in order to keep the ability to drive it with a battery in a simple way.
The question that remains is: is it worth doing on the positive side and not on the negative side? That would be a three wire connection that only cancels the voltage drop on the positive wire. Given that this board is only meant to be connected to a proper 7v-10v conversion stage with a much more complex output buffer, I think I can keep it simple. I do not intend my board as a generic standalone calibrator with no other hardware around, it's only the core part of a more complex device I want to build next.
I updated my schematic to reflect these changes.