My introduction to GPSDOs was not a good one.
Oct 2021
I had a HP 10811A crystal oscillator that needed a cal check using a higher authority. The DIY nature and low cost of a GPSDO seemed the way to go so I started building the
@AndrewBCN project.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/yet-another-diy-gpsdo-yes-another-one/250/I am not a programmer so after several failed attempts at programming the STM32 chip using the Arduino IDE, I gave up as I had more pressing things to do.
Jan 2024
Recently I revisited
@AndrewBCN project and reread all the posts and downloaded the latest IDE, STM and firmware. This time I got lots of IDE compile errors, so gave up again!
In Reply #143 of the
@AndrewBCN thread I saw a short description of a GPSDO by
@MIS42N. This one used a preprogrammed PIC to do the disciplining. Fantastic! I chased up all the parts and PCB and here it is. My 'Budget GPSDO' is still in the build phase but it does work and it works well.
Initial tests show my FA-2 counter to be low by about 2Hz. Later I will test the HP 10811A crystal oscillator. I also logged the Vco (OCXO control voltage) for a couple of hours and am still trying to understand the control mechanism.
@MIS42N, I made some changes to the build:
1) I used linear voltage regulators throughout (I prefer them).
2) I did not use the Vco buffer FETs and connected the PWM directly. This does mean a longer wait for stability when connecting to the 10MHz 50R output.
3) I used an Isotemp 143-141 5v OCXO. The two used OSC5A2B02 OCXOs I bought on eBay were faulty.
enut11
EDIT: The note on the Vco plot about hot-plugging the GPS module is a leftover from an old test and should be ignored.