Single device asking for DHCP server like this is not really a heavy load.
That cannot be said. They're broadcasts, and DHCP might be going across a relatively slow WAN link. Once per second is abusive, in addition to violating the RFC. Ignoring the lease time is also abusive, even if on a fast LAN, if only because it fills server logs.
There is no RTC so respecting the lease time between reboot/power-off is not possible
That is irrelevant (it's also not true that it doesn't have an RTC, it just doesn't have a battery backed one). DHCP times are in relative seconds, and the scope does keep track while powered. And it occurs constantly while powered on, a device doing DHCP on every reboot is not an issue.
It retries because DHCP is not available. In which case those corporate network admins need to fix DHCP server or tell you not to use it.
Shit happens; servers are taken down for maintenance. If devices are given 8 hour leases which they honor, an outage of even a few hours won't affect most. If the server is down, a device broadcasting every second is abusive to every other device on the network.
With over 30 years in enterprise networking, this scope is the only device I've ever encountered which is so abusively talkative.
Regardless of the fact that you are right this is not as it should be, if this would bring my network down I would fire network guys for crappy network.
Scope only asks every second when your network is already broken. And DHCP packet is tiny.
As for filling the server logs, I get it is annoying. But, also if that can bring your log server down, you have bigger problems. At some places I know
log servers are collecting gigabytes of data from audit and security logs.
I am not dismissing fact DHCP client is not perfect. But it is something that would create problems only if something is pathological about network.
Should it be fixed. Sure.
Like Furna, I run my little lab network with DHCP with reserved addresses and do not log DHCP lease events. I didn't even know that it ignores lease time until I was warned about that and then went in and specifically looked for it. So horrible was the impact on my network. Impact is zero, from single scope. That is what I am saying.
When running on corporate networks, there are many places that won't even let you connect scope. "What is this?
A scope. What OS it runs?
I don't know, some Linux.. Ok here is the list of allowed operating systems, patch levels, AV software installed....
I can't do that it is closed appliance...Well sorry, according to our security policy you are not allowed to connect THAT on our network. Have a nice day.."