Author Topic: Roundabout way to "convert" a PDF to a schematic  (Read 6088 times)

Offline LoveLaikaTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Roundabout way to "convert" a PDF to a schematic
« on: February 08, 2022, 09:48:20 pm »
I kind of found a roundabout way to take a PDF and turn it into a schematic, or at the very least, an image that can be superimposed onto a schematic. As a test, I took a PDF of a schematic, and I converted to a bitmap. I then used KiCAD's worksheet editor, loaded the bitmap into a template, saved the template, and used the schematic page settings to load the template. You can see the results below in my ZIP file. It took a lot of steps, and it was a bit roundabout, but that's one way to take a PDF of sorts and convert it into a schematic (if not an actual schematic, at least a guideline for a schematic).

This method seems handy, especially for taking really old schematics and trying to rebuild them. Rather than redraw them by hand, this gives a guide to make things easier. I was wondering if anyone had some tips to make this process smoother or more accurate? Or maybe there's a more direct way to convert a PDF to a KiCAD schematic? I thought this was kind of cool, so I thought to share it.

Offline Doctorandus_P

• Super Contributor
Re: Roundabout way to "convert" a PDF to a schematic
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2022, 09:17:11 pm »
There are some 50+ "side projects" around KiCad, and one of them is uConfig:

https://github.com/Robotips/uConfig

It claims to be able to help with pin data extraction from pdf (datasheets) to create schematic symbols.

I have not used it myself though, and I do not know how good it works. For a big part it depends on the .PDF you start with. Some .PDF files are just grorified bitmaps, while others have text as real text.

Online jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2022, 09:28:04 pm »
It may look like a schematic, but can KiCad convert it to a PCB and include schematic capture?

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2022, 06:29:15 pm »
it will be really useful when it figures out how to pull the correct footprints for board layout.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2022, 02:58:25 pm »
It may look like a schematic, but can KiCad convert it to a PCB and include schematic capture?

Not sure about that. I was repairing a piece of equipment (old power equipment from the '80s), and I just thought to myself that when it fails, I'll probably have to rebuild the board by making a PCB of it and all that. The thing is, if I try to replicate it, I fear that I might miss out on a wire or some component that would cause the whole endeavor to fail. It would be cool if there was a tool to do this for me (forgot about uConfig when I wrote this up; it'll be interesting to see if it will work for a whole schematic rather than a single component), but I couldn't find one. So, this was my 'hack'; it's not perfect but at least I have a guide to try and not make mistakes.

Documentation also provided a 'block diagram' of sorts showing the component and the board, but it doesn't show the connections.  It's not very detailed, and it would be hard to get a PCB generated from it.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2022, 02:59:39 pm »
There are some 50+ "side projects" around KiCad, and one of them is uConfig:

https://github.com/Robotips/uConfig

It claims to be able to help with pin data extraction from pdf (datasheets) to create schematic symbols.

I have not used it myself though, and I do not know how good it works. For a big part it depends on the .PDF you start with. Some .PDF files are just grorified bitmaps, while others have text as real text.

Thanks for the reply. I am curious to see if uConfig will work for me. It will be interesting to see it being applied to a whole schematic rather than a single part.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2022, 03:00:51 pm »
it will be really useful when it figures out how to pull the correct footprints for board layout.

Sadly, that seems far off.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf