Author Topic: Anyone used Seeedstudio 4-layer?  (Read 8991 times)

Offline HarvsTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Anyone used Seeedstudio 4-layer?
« on: October 03, 2013, 05:19:57 am »
Surprisingly when searching the web and this forum there doesn't seem to be any reviews or comments about the quality of the 4-layer boards from Seeed (or Itead for that matter since they're most likely the same.)

Anyone used them?

I'm about to get a 10x20cm 4-layer board done that's not particularly dense but is mixed signal and needs the extra planes for noise (or at least 4-layers will make it a lot easier.)

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
Re: Anyone used Seeedstudio 4-layer?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 05:29:15 am »
Interested as well. I've got a simple 4-layer in the pipeline, and right now I'd flip a coin to pick either Itead or Seeed to see if it's any good. In my case it's a 5x5 cm with mostly digital stuff. Basically FPGA + assorted fluff on top, decoupling caps on the bottom.

Any tolerances to be aware of, or do they both live up to their claimed performance?

Offline johnwa

• Frequent Contributor
    • loopgain.net - a few of my projects
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 06:38:05 am »
My current project uses a 4 layer board from Seeed. Registration does not appear to be a problem, though I think I increased the isolation on the inner layers somewhat.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 06:48:55 am »
What track and space did you use?  I see their minimum is 8mil for the inner planes.  8mil is fine for what I'm doing if they can do it reliably.

Overall is the board fine?

Offline johnwa

• Frequent Contributor
    • loopgain.net - a few of my projects
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 01:03:46 pm »
I used 0.16mm track/space on the outside, 0.25mm track on the power planes, and I bumped the polygon pour clearance up to 0.5mm. While I have not examined the boards minutely, they seem to be OK, and there have not been any faults attributable to the PCB manufacture (though there have been quite a few attributable to my programming!).

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 01:19:26 am »
Thanks mate, appreciated.  They look alright for 6thou.

Offline riktw

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 03:21:52 pm »
I used the smart-prototyping service as it is the cheapest 4 layer atm.
Quality looks good, can recommend it.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 03:38:16 pm »
i've run at least six or seven  4 layer boards at itead. some were the 10 pieces, some were large batch (100 boards )

no problems whatsoever.

6 mil track 6 mil gap and 12 mil drill in 24 mil pads.

If you want: i have made an altium DRC template that will pass their incoming inspection without a hitch. Simply design to the set rules and there will be no questions.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2013, 05:04:23 pm »
If you want: i have made an altium DRC template that will pass their incoming inspection without a hitch. Simply design to the set rules and there will be no questions.

That would indeed be very helpful. :)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 02:57:00 am »
Some feedback about the Seeedstudio experience.

I went with them over Itead as I normally would because of the much greater flexibility of sizes.

This was a 200x100, 4-layer, ENIG, coloured board.

Firstly the quality of the finished product that I have in my hand (and I've assembled and tested a couple) is fine.  It's very similar (identical?) to the quality of the itead 2-layer boards. The only gripe is the ENIG plating is very thin.  In a couple of high current traces where I've pulled back the solder mask the plating has pretty much thinned out to nothing.  So in hindsight I wouldn't waste the money on the ENIG plating.

My only real gripe with Seeed has been the service is no where near as slick as Itead.  Many small things:
- I placed the order, got an email saying I could keep track of the order on their webpage.  I looked at it wasn't there, so thinking something was wrong I sent them a message and got a reply saying the order's fine and be patient.
- One week after submitting the order I got an email saying it was shipped. Great I thought, same times as the two layer boards from itead.  Still no order information available yet via their website.
- Two days later I got another email saying it's now traceable. That's not much use I thought, since by now I would be looking to receive the boards (I payed for DHL).
- Another 4 days went by with nothing turning up.  Something's gone wrong I thought, DHL have always delivered in 2-3days from Itead's shipment notification.  So I went looking for the tracking information.  They provided some long tracking number that didn't work with DHL (although they linked it to the DHL website.)  So I emailed them again, they gave me a different tracking number for DHL.
- So, now's the real kicker, I looked up the DHL tracking detail, it appears what Seeed are doing is to forward the boards to a separate shipper who then process it on to DHL.  So despite the boards taking one week turn around, they then took another 5 days to get to DHL.  Not much point paying $40 for DHL express shipping when they're going to sit around in someone's warehouse for 5 days.

So yeah.  Quality of the boards is fine I think, and the different options available are great, but the order information flow and shipping are quite half arsed compared to Itead.

Offline JJalling

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2013, 08:37:20 am »

I'm very interested in the DRC template as well.

BR Jonas

Offline poorchava

• Super Contributor
  • Troll Cave Electronics!
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2013, 06:27:36 am »
Check elecrow, they offer 10pcs of 4-layer 5x5cm for $23.99, whereas itead charges $65.
I love the smell of FR4 in the morning!

Offline Lizerd

• Contributor
    • www.lizerd.se
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2013, 08:44:43 am »
have anyone tested elecrow ?? because that is really cheap for 4-layers

Offline Jon Chandler

• Frequent Contributor
    • Throw Away PIC
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2013, 11:38:59 am »
I've had several 2-layer boards made by Elecrow and been happy with the results.  They also offer v-score for a slight up-charge based on the total number of boards on the panel.

I shipped my last order via DHL.  Unfortunately, although the boards were finished before "National Day" – a week-long holiday and shutdown, they apparently didn't get into DHL's hands in time to escape the country in time.

Offline poorchava

• Super Contributor
  • Troll Cave Electronics!
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2013, 08:06:29 am »
I've ordered from Elecrow a few times. I've always been happy with the service.
I love the smell of FR4 in the morning!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf