Author Topic: CircuitCAM DXF output???  (Read 4272 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline JMcCTopic starter

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 16
  • Country: ie
CircuitCAM DXF output???
« on: July 15, 2026, 08:33:24 am »
I've not used CircuitCAM in many years (so long that I had to dig out an old PC to find it). I have some gerbers that I'd like to create a DXF from & CircuitCAM has a DXF output function. However I'm not getting any useful outpt from it and it appears that there is quite a bit of setup involved to input tools in the DXF tool list.

I'm hoping there is someone out there who has already done this and would be willing to share a CircuitCAM CAT file (template file) which already has this stuff entered (at least thats where I think it is stored!). I'm using CircuitCAM 5. Failing that, any info on how to do it would be appreciated.

Thanks for any guidance/help,

J
 

Offline phil from seattle

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1262
  • Country: us
Re: CircuitCAM DXF output???
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2026, 01:57:53 pm »
If you have the gerbers, there are lots of ways to convert to DXF.  Gerbview can do it.  Flatcam is a free option but I find it quirky. I bet there are lots of others out there.
 

Offline Accu-Sembly

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 76
  • Country: us
    • Accu-Sembly
Re: CircuitCAM DXF output???
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2026, 05:34:16 pm »
It's been many years since I looked into this.  We are running V7, but if I recall, the DXF output was never implemented by Aegis correctly and they did not fix it or put resources toward correcting it.  That's a nice way of saying that I've never got it to work either.

I would explore other options.  I export my DXFs from GC Preview.
 

Offline JMcCTopic starter

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 16
  • Country: ie
Re: CircuitCAM DXF output???
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2026, 09:32:12 am »
Thanks for those responses guys, I'll take a look.

By the way I got dxf export to sort of work but it was a process that was convoluted and I doubt I could replicate.

The outpost was terrible looking😃

Joe
 

Offline PCBA Partner

  • Contributor
  • !
  • Posts: 13
  • Country: cn
  • PCBA Partner | DFM, sourcing & assembly support
    • PCBA Partner
Re: CircuitCAM DXF output???
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2026, 06:07:38 pm »
If the DXF is only needed for mechanical reference, I would avoid spending much more time on CircuitCAM’s exporter. Gerber-to-DXF conversion is often fragile because aperture definitions, arc handling, polarity, units and layer mapping do not translate cleanly.

A practical workflow is:
1. Export only the layers actually needed for the mechanical drawing — usually board outline, cut-outs, tooling holes, and perhaps a keep-out layer.
2. Import the DXF back into a viewer/CAD tool and overlay it with the original Gerber. Check scale, origin, plated vs non-plated holes, arcs, and any slots.
3. Keep the Gerbers as the manufacturing authority; use the DXF only as a reference or for enclosure/mechanical coordination.

GC-Prevue/GerbView or a Gerber viewer with DXF export is usually more reliable for this than trying to rebuild a legacy CircuitCAM template.
PCBA Partner — DFM, sourcing, SMT/THT assembly and test support
https://pcbapartner.com/
 

Offline JMcCTopic starter

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 16
  • Country: ie
Re: CircuitCAM DXF output???
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2026, 10:14:27 am »
Yep, I've pretty much given up on DXF export. My use case in this instance was that I have some antennas which are broken. They have an LNA embedded in an encapsulant & I need to excavate said encapsulant to expose the pad(s) the antenna wire connects to (need to attach new wire). I have some good reference points in the form of the power/RF connectors to the LNA so figured I could program a CNC to do this. I think I have enough info on the XY pad center positions & depth w.r.t. the RF connectors to manually make a toolpath for the machine so thats what I'll be trying.

Thanks so much for the replies and suggestions. I'll need that info again for certain!

J
 
The following users thanked this post: Accu-Sembly


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->