Author Topic: Custom aluminium anodized CNC'd enclosure  (Read 5638 times)

Offline IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Full time EE & Youtuber
    • IanJohnston.com
Custom aluminium anodized CNC'd enclosure
« on: October 29, 2019, 11:54:12 am »
Hi all,

Couldn't find a thread on this but I am looking for any suggestions of who to use to make a batch of small custom aluminium anodized CNC'd enclosures for my next product.

I'm looking for as cheap as possible and so have sent a few emails out with a Cad drawing of what I want to some Chinese companies.......

Anyone got any suggestions or experience?

Thanks,

Ian.
Ian Johnston - Original designer of the PDVS2mini || Author of the free WinGPIB app.
Website - www.ianjohnston.com
YT Channel (electronics repairs & projects): www.youtube.com/user/IanScottJohnston, Twitter (X): https://twitter.com/IanSJohnston

Offline DTJ

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Custom aluminium anodized CNC'd enclosure
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2019, 02:02:54 pm »
I have no ideas on the CNC side of things but I do know that it's not overly expensive to have custom extrusions manufactured. It means a higher upfront expenditure. The extrusion die remains yours for future re-runs. An extruded housing may not suit your product.

Offline spongle

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2019, 04:07:35 pm »
If you're looking for cheap, CNC is not it.

You need to start with a block of material and throw away 90% of it. To get a lower bound, calculate the volume of your enclosure and multiply by $0.75/cubic inch.

Offline jc101

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2019, 05:07:58 pm »
Hi all,

Couldn't find a thread on this but I am looking for any suggestions of who to use to make a batch of small custom aluminium anodized CNC'd enclosures for my next product.

I'm looking for as cheap as possible and so have sent a few emails out with a Cad drawing of what I want to some Chinese companies.......

Anyone got any suggestions or experience?

Thanks,

Ian.

I use these guys for some custom enclosures, not sure about the CNC side though.  No problem with anodised aluminium, they also laser engrave though this to create text which is cheaper than screen printing afterwards. Their website is a bit funky, but they do a good job.

https://www.emko.cz/en

Does it have to me metal?  Have you thought about getting some printed?  I guess it depends on quantity, but worth dropping these guys an e-mail...

https://www.bowmanap.com

Offline iroc86

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2019, 06:40:06 pm »
If you're looking for cheap, CNC is not it.

It kinda depends. Even for small runs, it's probably cheaper to program a machine and run off a batch instead of paying someone to turn the cranks on manual equipment. But that depends a lot on the complexity of the design and the OP's interest in paying an upfront setup or tooling fee.

CNC wouldn't necessarily imply hewn from a solid block of material. Do you have critical features that require high accuracy? Does your design consider manufacturability? If you're able to post up a few pictures, we might be able to look at the parts and see what sort of shop fits the work best.

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2019, 08:02:21 pm »
Hi all,

First written quote is in from Team Rapid MFG Co., Ltd, Guangdong Province, China - https://www.teamrapidtooling.com/
Cost = 15.80 USD each.
Spec: CNC, A1 6061 aluminium, Black Anodized.

It's an enclosure similar to the following but without the lid.......and obviously on my drawing i've optimized the internals for CNC routing.

Ian.

Ian Johnston - Original designer of the PDVS2mini || Author of the free WinGPIB app.
YT Channel (electronics repairs & projects): www.youtube.com/user/IanScottJohnston, Twitter (X): https://twitter.com/IanSJohnston

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2019, 10:56:42 pm »
That doesn't sound unreasonable, if we are talking about low quantity (<50pc).
What about posting the drawing?
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline iroc86

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2019, 11:40:35 pm »
I agree with thm_w; that's a pretty fair price for a machined version of a box similar to the one you posted. Especially with anodizing. What is the quoted quantity? Are they charging you for setup/NRE (non-recurring engineering)?

Offline amc184

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2019, 08:07:40 am »
Is their front-page picture a mold of a dildo?

Niiiice!  Seriously though, looks like a blow moulding cavity for a water bottle.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2019, 08:13:25 am »
I have brought a reasonable number of cases from this Chinese supplier both plastic and diecast. https://www.aliexpress.com/store/1006252?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000061.1.1c756584cu8GDM They claim to be happy to do customs on short runs and so far the quality has been good.

Worth an inquiry at least.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2019, 08:17:31 am »
You can save money if they dicast the case and then just to the finishing on CNC.
So like CNC holes/slots etc.. minimize the CNC time needed.
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline Kasper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2019, 03:59:30 am »
I haven't shopped around much but FacFox is the best I've found.

For such a basic looking box, why not buy a ready made one from digikey or elsewhere?

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2019, 04:10:45 am »
yeah, for hobby stuff or one-off production runs design your PCB around an existing case you can buy. It saves a lot of time/money.
You can make up a metal template to drill any holes accurately if needed.

But if you do need more, like 100 cases, then yes china/alibaba is a good source.
You can get a customized metal case, like a 1590BB, for around $10 each if you buy 100 and can get whatever holes/slots cut into it that you want.
Most of the places will also silk-screen labels on it and you can pick what paint or anodizing color you'd like.

For reference, the $10 example was just for one color case, holes/slots cut and black painted. No silkscreen.
You can probably get cheaper than $10/piece, even at 100 qty. but im not sure what the quality would be like
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 04:13:39 am by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2019, 03:48:02 pm »
Hi all,

Update on all China quotes so far:

TeamRapidTooling = 15.80 USD
NJHighSpeed = 17.10 USD
WorthEngineering = Declined due to low quantity
YSY-Electric = 11.50 USD
CNYocoInternational = Awaiting quote
Queeny Mechanical = 36.00 USD
Shenzhen Zhikai = 20.00 USD

The above are a mix of Made-In-China.com, AliExpress & direct enquiry via Google.

So far YSY-Electric has the best feeling given the dialogue with each. They even provided a 3D rendered drg with the quote (I had supplied a 2D AutoCad & PDF drg).
I can order 5off to start with and with no commitment to ordered in bulk (as I was quoted qty=100).
I have not re-negotiated with any of them........yet that is! (remember I'm Scottish)......plan is to do that AFTER samples are received.

There's a couple of others that mentioned sheet metal rather than CNC, but I'm not convinced with that as I've been down the sheet metal design on small items in another life and it's not as good.

PS. No, I don't want an off the shelf enclosure. This is much better fun!......and I would like my logo CNC'd on the side if I can!

Ian.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 03:50:06 pm by IanJ »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline IconicPCB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2019, 06:17:56 pm »
Ian,
Try CNC zone a website akin to this one we are on.
They have various subsections including members offering their CNC services.
You may find something You like.

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2019, 07:36:24 pm »
Hi all,

Here are the YSY-Electric fabrication photos. I ordered 5off as a sample before committing.
They look good apart from 'maybe' the top flat surface which looks either dirty or has some residue from the anodizing......hmmm!
Certainly the outside looks great to me.

Can't wait to get them in my hands.

PS I am still intrigued by the 1 USD quotes I got.......but as sure as a cat is a hairy beast costs would eascalate!

Ian.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, beanflying

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2019, 09:26:25 pm »
Please pass YSY-Electric web site or contacts

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2019, 09:30:58 pm »
Please pass YSY-Electric web site or contacts

Shenzhen YSY Electric Equipment Co.,LTD
Email: sales@ysy-electric.com
Tel: +86-755-29418536       Mobile/WhatsApp:+8613612809534
Wechat ID: emilytyz123         Skype:tyzemilytang
Office Address: Room402, Big City Time, Gaofeng community, Dalang, LongHua District, SZ, China

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2019, 11:42:17 pm »

Looks the bees knees, a level up in solidity!

Offline iroc86

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2019, 11:58:45 pm »
Nice! Thanks for posting the outcome of your supplier investigation. The inside  box corners look really good considering the length-to-diameter ratio between the radius and pocket depth. The mottled finish on the thin-walled face is probably due to dirt or machining residue interfering with the anodizing process. It's pretty common in production work where a uniform plating finish isn't called out. The supplier probably figured this was a mating surface that would be covered up, so they didn't worry about it.

I'm interested to hear if the exterior is a fingerprint magnet--the texture is likely from bead blasting, which is an art unto itself to avoid a "chalkboard" feeling or the attraction of finger oils. Based on your pictures, this one looks pretty good.

Offline IconicPCB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2019, 12:44:00 am »
Ian ,
investigate ALODYNING as alternative to anodysing

If you require the two halves of the casing to be in good electrical contact do not anodyse.

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2019, 05:41:20 pm »
Ian ,
investigate ALODYNING as alternative to anodysing

If you require the two halves of the casing to be in good electrical contact do not anodyse.

Thanks for the info.
There is no other half to my enclosure, I am playing with the idea of replacing the Hammond ABS enclosure (modified) I current use here.

Offline NorthGuy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2019, 07:09:50 pm »
You can raise the walls higher and make them flush with the glass.

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2019, 08:25:47 pm »
You can raise the walls higher and make them flush with the glass.

Yes, thats an idea.......but I also like the open frame appearance.

Ian.

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2019, 05:22:13 pm »
Hi all,

Sample enclosures in my hand now from YSY-Electric. Piccy below.

The residue along the top surface comes off with a good wipe (it's a bit stubborn)......and leaves a good clean, flat surface.
The quality inside and out is just perfect.

Couple things, I had asked for a 4off 10mm or so deep M3 holes, but they couldn't go that deep and so I got 8mm which is fine, and also I had asked for a few 1mm radius inside corners but their standard min is 2mm.....which again was fine.

Good communication from YSY, they did what they said on the tin from start to finish. My first dealings direct with a manufacturing facility in Shenzhen.

Ian.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 07:26:48 pm by IanJ »

The following users thanked this post: Kean, SilverSolder, asmi

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf