Electronics > Manufacturing & Assembly

Desoldering tool. Completely clears holes?

<< < (2/2)

edpalmer42:
I wouldn't touch that desoldering tool.  There's nothing to suggest that the tip is temperature-controlled.  It will likely get too hot.  Add to that the fact that 30W is marginal at best for a desoldering tool.  Without enough power, it takes a long time to melt the solder.  That cooks the adhesive holding down the traces and burns the board.  And, WTH is 'electromagnetic power'?  It has a 30W heater.  Period.

Do a search for "S-993A desoldering".  It's widely available on ebay, Aliexpress, Amazon, etc.  Variable temperature, 90W, 3 different size tips, reasonable availability of spare parts, reasonable price (US$100 - 150).  There are multiple video reviews on Youtube.  Be sure to watch more than one.  I've found that some people are really clueless about soldering and desoldering.

Ed

Circlotron:

--- Quote from: edpalmer42 on September 14, 2022, 11:48:56 pm ---I wouldn't touch that desoldering tool.

--- End quote ---
I think this says it all.

Kean:

--- Quote from: edpalmer42 on September 14, 2022, 11:48:56 pm ---I wouldn't touch that desoldering tool.  There's nothing to suggest that the tip is temperature-controlled.  It will likely get too hot.  Add to that the fact that 30W is marginal at best for a desoldering tool.  Without enough power, it takes a long time to melt the solder.  That cooks the adhesive holding down the traces and burns the board.  And, WTH is 'electromagnetic power'?  It has a 30W heater.  Period.

Do a search for "S-993A desoldering".  It's widely available on ebay, Aliexpress, Amazon, etc.  Variable temperature, 90W, 3 different size tips, reasonable availability of spare parts, reasonable price (US$100 - 150).  There are multiple video reviews on Youtube.  Be sure to watch more than one.  I've found that some people are really clueless about soldering and desoldering.

Ed

--- End quote ---

Agreed,  that looks like rubbish.

Although I now have a JBC desoldering tool, I've used the S-993A style desoldering guns in the past and they are OK.  They do tend to clog up a bit too often requiring a time consuming tear down and clean.

A cheaper and quite effective solution is to first remove the part (cut it away or use a big solder blob to heat all the pins at once), and then use stainless desoldering needles to clear the holes.  Do a search on Ebay/AliExpress/etc for "desoldering needle"  to grab some to try out.  They are always handy to have and less messy/trouble/dangerous than compressed air.

chilternview:
I would also avoid that desoldering tool.

I use a Hakko FR301. Costs an order of magnitude more, but it's worked on everything I've needed to desolder up to 40 pin MCUs. Sometimes a plated thru hole needs a bit of solder wick to clean up the hole after, or a little levering of the pin with a fine screwdriver to 'unstick' it.

tooki:

--- Quote from: Faringdon on September 13, 2022, 08:22:29 am ---
We need to re-insert de-soldered 20 way, 2.54mm pitch  pin headers...
https://uk.farnell.com/harwin/m20-9990246/header-straight-2-54mm-1row-2way/dp/1022247?MER=TARG-MER-PLP-RECO-STM71233-0

The PTH is 1mm diam and the pin header pin is 0.65mm diam, so even the slightest trace of uncleared solder prevents re-insertion of a fresh pin header into the holes.

--- End quote ---
So which is it? Are you using fresh headers or the ones you desolder? Because the fact is, proper desoldering technique to achieve clear holes will end up with the header pins rotated and no longer perfectly perpendicular. You’d be a fool to try and reuse them, especially since they’re so cheap.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version