Author Topic: JLCPCB - what happens if edge cuts split pcb into multiple parts?  (Read 1284 times)

Offline dusanTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
I have pcb that is made of 2 parts, they go on top of each other (each part is 2x2cm). What happens if I manufacture it at JLCPCB? They together easily fit within 10x10cm board. Is it counted as 1 board or should I submit 2 gerbers one for each board? Or is it ok to have 2 "islands" on one board?

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
Re: JLCPCB - what happens if edge cuts split pcb into multiple parts?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2024, 06:53:58 pm »
For the discounted prototype service they will generally count it as two separate designs. You may get lucky and the screener person will let it slide, but don't rely on that.

Some people try to get into the arguments with their agents, but is it really wort it for $5?
Alex

Offline nvmR

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2024, 08:26:58 am »
piggybacking on this. Does the advice of splitting into two separate designs, follow through if doing assembly with JLC?

Online josip

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2024, 06:25:40 pm »
https://jlcpcb.com/help/article/15-in-what-cases-will-there-be-charged-extra

I ordered many times multiple designs on one 10x10cm PCB (one gerber file) separated with empty space, without any extra cost. If you want them to cut the board, than they charge.

Anyway, you can try to upload your gerber file and wait for order approve, without any payment.

Offline dusanTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2024, 09:51:00 pm »
Now that I think about it. It has to be separate gerbers because they put their serial number and if it was 2 separate pieces one would not have the number.

Offline shapirus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2024, 10:26:16 pm »
So from what is stated on their website (https://jlcpcb.com/quote/pcbOrderFaq/Different%20Design%20in%20Panel) it follows that the designs are considered different if any of the following is true:

- there is a board separation method (v-score, mouse bites, etc.) used between sections of the 10x10 cm PCB that look like different designs
- there are more than 5 sections that look like different designs

What will be regarded as different designs?

Basically, if the traces/ silkscreen in your PCB is different, as long as it can be separated, no matter by v-cut, millings, or drill holes, it will be regarded as different designs. One more thing, sometimes, even all your PCBs look the same, but if there is no any connection to make them into one panel, and it needs to be sent as single piece, it will be also considered as different designs.

In other words: if you cut them yourself, no problem.

In practice, however, I think I read someone mentioning that they wanted the customer to pay extra even when the designs were separated only by silkscreen. So then it likely also depends on the person verifying the order. I don't recall exactly where I read that, though.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf