Author Topic: Looking for PCBA vendor recommendations – small professional runs, post-JLCPCB  (Read 8984 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline maovidalTopic starter

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 3
  • Country: co
Hi all,

We've been using JLCPCB for a while and their platform fits our workflow well, but after a recent order where 25% of the production run had serious quality failures - and an unsatisfactory resolution process - we're evaluating alternatives.

I'll keep the JLCPCB commentary brief because that's not the point of this thread, but for context on why we're moving:

Issue 1 — Solder mask contamination
2777493-0
Visible surface contamination on assembled boards. This passed their incoming inspection and was shipped to us assembled.

Issue 2 — Edge plating failure
2777497-1
2777501-2
Exposed FR4 substrate along the entire board edge. In our design, edge plating is used for shielding - not as an edge connector - but the failure mode is the same: plating absent or severely degraded across multiple boards in the run, and functionally this compromises the shielding entirely. These also passed inspection, then parts were wasted on them.

Twenty-five percent of a production run failing QC is already serious. That both defect types cleared their inspection process is what makes this a systemic issue rather than isolated incidents. The support process eventually resulted in partial acknowledgment despite the evidence, but the resolution did not reflect the actual impact. Assembled boards with components mounted on defective PCBs represent more than their usual compensation Coupons.

Anyway, on to what we're actually looking for.

Our production profile:
• ~3 runs per year.
• 3 board designs.
• ~50 boards per run.
• Assembled board value roughly $50–$150 each.

What we need from a vendor:
• Full PCBA (not just PCB).
• Transparent BOM control: exact manufacturer + MPN, no silent substitutions.
• Reliable sourcing of components to reduce counterfeit exposure.
• Pre-shipment assembly verification. Not full electrical test, but confirmation or photos before shipment.
• Reasonably streamlined ordering that minimizes error opportunities.

We've looked briefly at PCBWay and Aisler, and are aware of MacroFab and Screaming Circuits on the Western side. But I'd rather hear from people who have actually placed orders at this scale before committing.

If you've used a vendor that handles this profile reliably, I'd really appreciate a concrete recommendation including any caveats. Even a "works well but watch out for X" is genuinely useful.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2026, 04:50:01 pm by maovidal »
 

Offline Jackster

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 556
  • Country: gb
    • PCBA.UK
Seen issue 1 a few times. Batched about 10 SKUs in a single order and 1-2 of the SKUs them had it on half the boards...
Only ever seen it in the 1-4 layer boards. 6 layer boards and up have always been really good (different factory/QC level IFAIK).

Offline maovidalTopic starter

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 3
  • Country: co
Fair pushback, let me address each point.

Proof of origin: photo of the delivery for those asking.
2777675-0

"Herman" in the image: that's a reflection from the silkscreen. I didn't notice it before posting.

The LLM comment: yes, I used AI assistance to help write the post clearly as English is not my first language. The experience, the defects, the photos, and the frustration are entirely real. I don't think using a writing tool disqualifies the content.

The AOI phrasing: fair point, and I'll own that it was poorly worded. What I meant is that we're not currently set up for bed-of-nails or flying probe testing at this production volume, so we rely on visual confirmation from the vendor before shipment. We're aware that's not a substitute for functional testing. But pre-shipment photos (which JLCPCB does provide for a fee) would at least allow us to confirm quality before the shipment is made, preventing the waste on shipping, duties, and delivery fees on defective boards. It would also give the manufacturer material to investigate root causes, which is something we would have been interested in JLCPCB doing.

Astroturfing: I have no idea what we'd be promoting here. We're a small company that had a bad production run and is looking for alternatives. If anyone engaging constructively wants more details, feel free to DM.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2026, 08:46:07 pm by maovidal »
 
The following users thanked this post: thm_w, booscrawl

Offline maovidalTopic starter

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 3
  • Country: co
Seen issue 1 a few times. Batched about 10 SKUs in a single order and 1-2 of the SKUs them had it on half the boards...
Only ever seen it in the 1-4 layer boards. 6 layer boards and up have always been really good (different factory/QC level IFAIK).


Thank you for sharing.

Our previous issues with JLCPCB were never about their PCBs. Most of the time we use 6-layer boards. Interestingly, for this last batch we decided to use the upgraded material type: Shengyi S1000-2M - TG170.

BTW, one thing that we really liked about JLCPCB's offering was the QR codes for the serial numbers of every PCB. It seems we have to dust off the small sticker printer we had for this.
 

Offline colordream

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 6
  • Country: us
JLC's advantage is fast and cheap, they have many small customers, which is also their disadvantage, it is impossible to take care of every customer. If you are not particularly sensitive to price, it is much better to try other suppliers.
 
The following users thanked this post: maovidal

Offline Psi

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 12640
  • Country: nz
I'm happy with PCBway for PCBA.  I'm sure it costs more than JLC but quality wise I'm happy with it and their communication is really good.
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)
 
The following users thanked this post: maovidal

Offline Smokey

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3881
  • Country: us
  • Not An Expert
I've done up to 1000 board orders with PCBWay.  Always came back with good quality.  No problems apart from the initial back and forth sorting out all the technical details with the normal 1-2 emails a night for about a week.  But I've found that to be true with every Chinese board house I've delt with so far.  I have not had boards assembled with PCBWay yet.  All the boards they made were assembled at a local board house here in California, and they didn't have anything to say about the board quality either.

It's hard to make much money on a 50 piece board assembly run and the setup time will jack up the price.  JLCPCB is great for that kind of stuff since they must be breaking even on the small orders in hopes of getting the bigger ones.  My stencil and programming NRE for the local place (for any quantity) is more than some total small JLCPCB orders including parts and shipping.
 
The following users thanked this post: Accu-Sembly, maovidal

Offline Psi

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 12640
  • Country: nz
No problems apart from the initial back and forth sorting out all the technical details with the normal 1-2 emails a night for about a week. 

Really. What sort of issues do you have to sort out over a week?
I get engineering questions about the PCB for some orders, but they're usually pretty fast to answer with no follow-ups questions needed.
I don't think I've ever had much questions about the PCBA, they send me the photo to check polarity and that's it.

I recall once they send me a question about some 10mR resistors they received which measuring slightly lower than spec. I was kind of happy to find out they're actually doing testing of components with a meter at inwards goods inspection.
And once I accidently had a part number in the BOM for reverse mount LEDs that obviously couldn't be mounted and i had to sort out some new parts, but I cant think of any time with back and forward email questions for a week.

Are you sending them test jigs and getting them to do QC testing/programming maybe? That would explain lots of troubleshooting to get the jigs working.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2026, 01:18:38 pm by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)
 
The following users thanked this post: thm_w, Kean

Offline Smokey

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3881
  • Country: us
  • Not An Expert
No problems apart from the initial back and forth sorting out all the technical details with the normal 1-2 emails a night for about a week. 

Really. What sort of issues do you have to sort out over a week?
I get engineering questions about the PCB for some orders, but they're usually pretty fast to answer with no follow-ups questions needed.
I don't think I've ever had much questions about the PCBA, they send me the photo to check polarity and that's it.

I recall once they send me a question about some 10mR resistors they received which measuring slightly lower than spec. I was kind of happy to find out they're actually doing testing of components with a meter at inwards goods inspection.
And once I accidently had a part number in the BOM for reverse mount LEDs that obviously couldn't be mounted and i had to sort out some new parts, but I cant think of any time with back and forward email questions for a week.

Are you sending them test jigs and getting them to do QC testing/programming maybe? That would explain lots of troubleshooting to get the jigs working.

Mostly panel stuff.  I thought it was pretty standard to send the full gerbers for a single board, and then a set of gerbers that represented the panel and where to put the single boards in the panel.  But every time I do that, they act like I'm trying to do something crazy they have never heard of before. 
 

Offline Psi

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 12640
  • Country: nz
No problems apart from the initial back and forth sorting out all the technical details with the normal 1-2 emails a night for about a week. 

Really. What sort of issues do you have to sort out over a week?
I get engineering questions about the PCB for some orders, but they're usually pretty fast to answer with no follow-ups questions needed.
I don't think I've ever had much questions about the PCBA, they send me the photo to check polarity and that's it.

I recall once they send me a question about some 10mR resistors they received which measuring slightly lower than spec. I was kind of happy to find out they're actually doing testing of components with a meter at inwards goods inspection.
And once I accidently had a part number in the BOM for reverse mount LEDs that obviously couldn't be mounted and i had to sort out some new parts, but I cant think of any time with back and forward email questions for a week.

Are you sending them test jigs and getting them to do QC testing/programming maybe? That would explain lots of troubleshooting to get the jigs working.

Mostly panel stuff.  I thought it was pretty standard to send the full gerbers for a single board, and then a set of gerbers that represented the panel and where to put the single boards in the panel.  But every time I do that, they act like I'm trying to do something crazy they have never heard of before.

I've never heard of sending a panel gerber without the single boards already inside it.
Sometimes for large volume stuff at a professional board house you might send a Gerber for a single unit and a Gerber of the panel but the panel is complete with the boards in it.  I cant remember why they ask for both, I think it helps them setting up machines to also have the files for a single board.
But PCBway don't ask for this so I've never done it.

For PCBway i either
- Send a set of gerbers as a single pcb and let them panelize it themselves, often with some comments on a layer showing where the mouse bits can be to stop them putting them somewhere stupid.
Or
- Send a fully complete gerber of the entire panel with the single boards already in it. ie, all ready to go.

(From memory i got a PDF from them showing what type of panel sizes they prefer and rail size / markings)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2026, 11:40:28 pm by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)
 

Offline RRRXXX

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 9
  • Country: us
    • PCBAssemblyMFG
They have too many clients and orders to handle, so it’s impossible for them to do a great job every single time—it’s a matter of probability. The key is whether you end up on the good or bad side of that probability. There are actually plenty of other reliable suppliers; you just need to find out. But, time and cost is another issue.
Solve problems
 

Offline Accu-Sembly

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 76
  • Country: us
    • Accu-Sembly
No problems apart from the initial back and forth sorting out all the technical details with the normal 1-2 emails a night for about a week. 

Really. What sort of issues do you have to sort out over a week?
I get engineering questions about the PCB for some orders, but they're usually pretty fast to answer with no follow-ups questions needed.
I don't think I've ever had much questions about the PCBA, they send me the photo to check polarity and that's it.

I recall once they send me a question about some 10mR resistors they received which measuring slightly lower than spec. I was kind of happy to find out they're actually doing testing of components with a meter at inwards goods inspection.
And once I accidently had a part number in the BOM for reverse mount LEDs that obviously couldn't be mounted and i had to sort out some new parts, but I cant think of any time with back and forward email questions for a week.

Are you sending them test jigs and getting them to do QC testing/programming maybe? That would explain lots of troubleshooting to get the jigs working.

Mostly panel stuff.  I thought it was pretty standard to send the full gerbers for a single board, and then a set of gerbers that represented the panel and where to put the single boards in the panel.  But every time I do that, they act like I'm trying to do something crazy they have never heard of before.

We do a mix, depending on the board house.  Ideally we let the board house choose the array, but it must be reviewed by us for DFM approval before fab.  Sometimes we have a drawing that specifies the array, it can be a single gerber file or a pdf.  Don't recall getting any beef from a board house about that.  Sending full layered panelized gerbers seems like doing extra work.  There's no guarantee they could use them with their equipment/software as-is anyway, so it always made sense for me to have the PCB house do it.  Plus, the board house is much better about optimizing their sheet size to reduce waste.
 
The following users thanked this post: coco yan

Offline Smokey

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3881
  • Country: us
  • Not An Expert
No problems apart from the initial back and forth sorting out all the technical details with the normal 1-2 emails a night for about a week. 

Really. What sort of issues do you have to sort out over a week?
I get engineering questions about the PCB for some orders, but they're usually pretty fast to answer with no follow-ups questions needed.
I don't think I've ever had much questions about the PCBA, they send me the photo to check polarity and that's it.

I recall once they send me a question about some 10mR resistors they received which measuring slightly lower than spec. I was kind of happy to find out they're actually doing testing of components with a meter at inwards goods inspection.
And once I accidently had a part number in the BOM for reverse mount LEDs that obviously couldn't be mounted and i had to sort out some new parts, but I cant think of any time with back and forward email questions for a week.

Are you sending them test jigs and getting them to do QC testing/programming maybe? That would explain lots of troubleshooting to get the jigs working.

Mostly panel stuff.  I thought it was pretty standard to send the full gerbers for a single board, and then a set of gerbers that represented the panel and where to put the single boards in the panel.  But every time I do that, they act like I'm trying to do something crazy they have never heard of before.

We do a mix, depending on the board house.  Ideally we let the board house choose the array, but it must be reviewed by us for DFM approval before fab.  Sometimes we have a drawing that specifies the array, it can be a single gerber file or a pdf.  Don't recall getting any beef from a board house about that.  Sending full layered panelized gerbers seems like doing extra work.  There's no guarantee they could use them with their equipment/software as-is anyway, so it always made sense for me to have the PCB house do it.  Plus, the board house is much better about optimizing their sheet size to reduce waste.

To clarify, I'm only doing it that way because I'm adding an Automated Test card edge connector to the panel.  The panel therefore has traces that run from the card edge to the individual boards, so all the layers need to be defined. 
 

Offline Psi

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 12640
  • Country: nz
To clarify, I'm only doing it that way because I'm adding an Automated Test card edge connector to the panel.  The panel therefore has traces that run from the card edge to the individual boards, so all the layers need to be defined.

ah,  yes, that makes things more complicated.
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)
 
The following users thanked this post: Smokey, Accu-Sembly

Offline Silas Yang

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 3
  • Country: cn
    • JIETFGO
We can do exactly what you are looking for.

Full PCBA, no MOQ.

BOM control: we use original MPN, no substitution without approval.

Component sourcing: 2,500+ suppliers, 45M+ SKU.

Pre-shipment verification: photos before shipping, plus functional test if you provide procedure.

Streamlined ordering: send Gerber + BOM, we handle the rest.

We are IATF 16949 and ISO 9001 certified. 95% first-pass yield.

We have seen the same JLCPCB issues from customers who switched to us. If you want to try a run, send your files. We will quote and deliver.
 

Offline Zoe Li

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 4
  • Country: cn
With over 10 years of experience in PCBA manufacturing, I’ve found that most manufacturers are quite similar in terms of supply chains, equipment, and production processes.
The most important thing is to find a responsible and reliable contact person who will closely follow up on your projects.
They will keep you updated on every detail, promptly report any issues, request photos of bare PCBs and finished PCBA samples from the factory, and share them with you for confirmation.
Any questions or requests you raise will be followed up with their team immediately, and they will provide clear solutions in a timely manner.
 

Offline Eddi Yan

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 4
  • Country: cn
    • YMS
JLC focus on simple board with quick lead time, also, they are very cheap.
But if you focus on quality and want to do some multilayer board, may be they are not good at it.
Also, they accept orders by platform and hard to offer good after sales servier, tney have many many small customers.
May be you can consider other supplier who is not accepting order by platform and offer one-to-one support


We provide small batch PCB & PCBA service for independent designers, free DFM check,fast turnaround, support tiny prototype orders.
 

Offline twospoons

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 327
  • Country: nz
We use PCBway for small assembly runs all the time (50 - 100 pieces). Don't have any issues with the build quality - failures seem to be pretty rare.  Its easiest to let them do the panelising to suit their assembly process.

I think the only issue we've had is they don't seem to be able to buy from one connector supplier we use. No idea why. So we just put the connectors on ourselves.
 
The following users thanked this post: maovidal

Offline mwxpcb

  • Newbie
  • !
  • Posts: 5
  • Country: cn
    • httos://www.mwxpcb.com
We’ve handled similar prototype and low-volume PCBA projects for industrial customers where BOM traceability and assembly verification were critical.

One thing I’d suggest when evaluating alternatives is asking how they handle edge plating inspection and whether pre-shipment assembly photos are part of the standard process rather than a special request.

For projects in the 25–100 pcs range, those process controls often matter more than the PCB price itself
We mainly support prototype and low-volume multilayer PCB/PCBA builds in Shenzhen, so I’d be happy to share our approach if useful.
 

Offline May-High-speed PCB

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 7
  • Country: cn
The edge plating issue would concern me more than the cosmetic contamination. If the plating is part of your shielding strategy, then missing plating along the board edge is a functional defect, not just a workmanship issue.

One thing I'd recommend when evaluating alternative suppliers is asking how they verify special processes such as edge plating, via filling, backdrilling, controlled impedance, etc. Many vendors do these well most of the time, but the difference is how defects are caught before assembly begins.

For the requirements you listed:

Approved MPN sourcing only.
No substitutions without customer approval.
Assembly inspection photos before shipment.
Full turnkey PCBA with component traceability.

Those are all reasonable requests and shouldn't be difficult for a competent PCBA supplier.

We support a number of RF and industrial electronics customers with similar production volumes (tens to hundreds of assemblies per build), where PCB quality and component traceability are usually more important than achieving the absolute lowest cost.

Regardless of which supplier you choose, I'd strongly suggest requesting inspection evidence before assembly when the PCB includes critical features such as edge plating or shielding structures. It's much cheaper to scrap a bare PCB than a fully assembled board.

Good luck with the search.
 

Offline ruqi

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 3
  • Country: us
JLC always has an advantage for the first order, but for bulk orders and aluminum PCB, I recommend LEADHUI PCB https://lead-pcb.com
 

Offline ruqi

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 3
  • Country: us
For volume order, PCBWay is better than JLCPCB.  If it's an aluminum PCB, I recommend LEADHUI PCB

PCBWay - volume order PCB manufacturer & Assembly.
LEADHUI PCB - A aluminum PCB manufacturer & Assembly.
 

Offline Davy_Huizhen

  • Newbie
  • !
  • Posts: 4
  • Country: cn
  • Huizhen Electronics — PCBA OEM project contractor
    • Huizhen Electronics - PCBA OEM
Hi maovidal,

Two distinct failure modes here:

1. Visual/cosmetic defect — solder mask contamination. Should've been caught at outgoing QA. Unacceptable that it passed IQC.

2. Performance defect — edge plating failure means EMI shielding is compromised at the functional level. This isn't cosmetic; your board simply won't perform as designed.

Both shipped to you. 25% failure rate.

The root cause: the fab doesn't understand your finished product requirements. They only see Gerbers. So they don't know what to control during plating (problem occurs), and QC doesn't know what to catch (problem escapes). No one on the manufacturing side understands the end product — that's why defects reach you.

From a strict QA perspective (ex-Semtech ME, Chicony Power IBM PE, Samsung Electro-Mechanics Power NPI, KLITE R&D, and EGLO's TUV/Intertek-recognized QA), this points to systemic process control failures. Compensation coupons can't cover the wasted parts assembled on defective boards.

With 30 years bridging exactly this gap — between what the design demands and what the factory delivers — this is the type of problem I exist to solve. If someone with the right technical background was managing your manufacturing side, neither of these defects would have occurred, let alone shipped.

I work as a PCBA OEM engineering general contractor for overseas clients. I don't sell PCBA; I work for you. Feel free to PM me if you need support evaluating vendors or locking down your quality standards.

Best,
Davy
Davy (Yingguo Xia) | PCBA OEM Gen Contractor
ex-Samsung · Chicony (IBM) · TÜV QA | DFM/FCT/ICT/AOI
Automotive/Medical/Industrial | [email protected]
 


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->