Author Topic: CNC machining service for private projects  (Read 1340 times)

Offline T_guttataTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
CNC machining service for private projects
« on: April 10, 2024, 06:24:21 pm »
Dear all

I do a lot of private projects where I need all sort of parts. 3D printing I obviously do my own, but I often need as well metal parts, often CNC milled.

I have tried PCBway a few times and in general I'm satisfied with the quality. The issue I have is that shipping cost is usually very high, often the same as the actual value of the goods.
Cheapest shipping option to europe is usually around $35, but some additional fees might come on top.

Does anybody know alternative services where shipping cost is lower? I usually don't need the parts shipped express and would prefer slower shipping at lower cost.

My experience so far is that if you order out of the shelf parts from aliexpress shipping cost is very low. But for any other supplier shipping cost seems to be extremely high.
What is your experience?

Online Roehrenonkel

• Regular Contributor
Re: CNC machining service for private projects
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2024, 07:05:58 pm »
Hi T_guttata,

Okay, just a few questions:
What metal? Lead or Titanium? What precission?
Post a picture of a example-part.
what country are you in?

Aliexpress is highly subsidised by PROC and your local postal-service. ;->

Best regards

Online temperance

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2024, 07:40:34 pm »
CNC parts made in the EU for proto typing= expensive. I've been searching myself a few times for a service oriented at proto typing but never found any except for front panel express.
Some species start the day by screaming their lungs out. Something which doesn't make sense at first. But as you get older it all starts to make sense.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2024, 10:14:13 pm »
$35 doesn't seem that high when we are talking proto CNC machined parts. What companies do they offer, DHL? Anything else?

Try pricing it out elsewhere and you won't like your options.
https://www.xometry.com/capabilities/cnc-machining-service/
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2024, 10:24:30 am »
The last part I have ordered was a shaft d=25mm, L=102mm with two precise fits for bearings. This part was from mild steel, weight 370g and it was $48 per piece (I ordered 2). I also had an offer from https://www.china-machining.com/ which was only $29 per part but @ $60 for shipping.

For weight <1kg there must be cheaper options...

You can forget about Xometry. I tried to create a login, but they only sell B2B.

@Roehrenonkel

I thought that shipping from China to Europe is generally subsidized because the universal postal union classifies China not as a developed country? So why is Aliexpress much cheaper than the rest?

Offline pope

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2024, 10:32:02 am »
Dear all

I do a lot of private projects where I need all sort of parts. 3D printing I obviously do my own, but I often need as well metal parts, often CNC milled.

I have tried PCBway a few times and in general I'm satisfied with the quality. The issue I have is that shipping cost is usually very high, often the same as the actual value of the goods.
Cheapest shipping option to europe is usually around $35, but some additional fees might come on top.

Does anybody know alternative services where shipping cost is lower? I usually don't need the parts shipped express and would prefer slower shipping at lower cost.

My experience so far is that if you order out of the shelf parts from aliexpress shipping cost is very low. But for any other supplier shipping cost seems to be extremely high.
What is your experience?

Where are you located?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2024, 11:12:34 am »
Switzerland. Within europe it makes a difference regarding shipping cost, but it is probably not a big diffrence when ordering in china.

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2024, 12:03:45 pm »
So why is Aliexpress much cheaper than the rest?
Volume. For many countries they bulk-ship to that country and packets are then divided up and sent via local services.
For popular items they ship a container-load and keep local stock.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline H.O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2024, 08:15:58 pm »
Have anyone tried fractory.com ? (yes, fractory)

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2024, 11:03:16 pm »
I thought that shipping from China to Europe is generally subsidized because the universal postal union classifies China not as a developed country? So why is Aliexpress much cheaper than the rest?

So what shipping method was used? DHL/Fedex/UPS are not subsidized, they are private couriers.
If you want to wait 2-4 weeks and use a low cost shipping method, maybe it can be subsidized, but I don't know if PCBWay offers that.

I would probably not want to use cheap shipping for high precision parts. Depends how well its packed I guess.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2024, 07:49:35 pm »
No, I have not tried fractory.com. Where are they located? Only in UK or different countries?

PCBWay offers many shipping options, they as well offer a cheaper service than DHL / Fedex / UPS. I had some very small parts (100g) shipped for $5. For larger parts difference was smaller.
I would not bother at all to ship high precision parts with cheap couriers. So far everything was extremely well packed, you could hardly damage it. They might loose the package, but for orders with shipping higher than the value of the goods I don't bother either.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 07:56:35 pm by T_guttata »

Offline H.O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2024, 09:10:21 pm »
I have not tried fractory.com myself but if I understand correctly the company is based in the a UK. However, if I select "Sweden" I get a contact information in Estonia so they might have offices and/or legal entities in several countries.
Anyway, as far as I understand THEY don't do any machining or fabrication. They have partnered up with manufacturers across many countries and provide the the web front end with instant quotes that we've gotten used to when ordering PCB's and then pass on the actual work to whoever has the suitable capabilities available within the timeframe.

Again, I've not tried them and I've got no connection with them, I just found out about them the other day.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2024, 04:06:32 pm »
I don't think the price will be competitive anyway.

I have ordered from JLCPCB a few times and shipping was always around $15 for a small package (FedEx international Priority). Why can they offer such a good price?
JLCPCB offers CNC machining service as well, but only Aluminum.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf