Author Topic: Miniature slip ring bearing  (Read 847 times)

Offline ZbigTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Miniature slip ring bearing
« on: December 06, 2022, 02:20:22 pm »
Hi

Does anybody know what type of bearing the miniature slip rings of this or similar type: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32944388596.html use? What I mean is could the rotor in these things be relied upon for load-bearing duties in a project? I'm talking a mass similar to a small web cam here suspended on proper ball bearing on one side and this kind of slip ring on the other. Or is it necessary to provide your own independent bearing for the structure?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 02:22:52 pm by Zbig »

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
Re: Miniature slip ring bearing
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2022, 02:50:11 pm »
I'd  bet on it *NOT* having a proper bearing as if it did, in most applications it would over-constrain the rotating part unless it was flexibly mounted.

Offline bugrobotics

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2022, 04:35:02 pm »
Hi

Does anybody know what type of bearing the miniature slip rings of this or similar type: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32944388596.html use? What I mean is could the rotor in these things be relied upon for load-bearing duties in a project? I'm talking a mass similar to a small web cam here suspended on proper ball bearing on one side and this kind of slip ring on the other. Or is it necessary to provide your own independent bearing for the structure?
No, the units you linked are not going to have bearings suitable for load bearing applications.  You will want to design in a separate bearing.

Offline Jackster

• Frequent Contributor
    • PCBA.UK
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2022, 06:46:41 pm »
Not an expert but I have delt with these with a project, granted mine were £50-150 each and made from metal but I have a few of these cheaper smaller ones too and they are made up the same.

You can not use them in any way that puts a load on them. They are designed to go inside a bearing or a motor.

The plastic ones are two bodies of plastic with a plastic core holding then together. The internal contacts run on a brass rings on top of this plastic core.
Pretty sure it is PTFE plastic inside so it runs smooth.

Offline ZbigTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2022, 08:54:09 pm »
Thank you everyone. It's settled, then: proper ball bearings from both sides it is.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2022, 09:58:55 am »
I little different to the one you linked but I did a chop up and closer look into one a few years ago and it had double BB's in it. https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/slip-ring/msg2778088/#msg2778088

Same seller has what look identical to this one just a few sizes larger.

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: Zbig, Kean

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf