Author Topic: bbs.1ppm.cn Binding Post  (Read 8878 times)

0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline KosmicTopic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 2593
  • Country: ca
bbs.1ppm.cn Binding Post
« on: June 13, 2025, 06:28:51 pm »
I recently bought some binding posts from bbs.1ppm.cn and decided to test them a little bit and compare them to some other binding post I had at hands.

The binding post can be found here https://www.goofish.com/item?spm=a21ybx.personal.feeds.1.20446ac2YGufBO&id=675273563090&categoryId=50025261 Thanks to zlymex for having provided the link  :-+



My understanding is that goofish.com is a little bit like Facebook Marketplace and you can't really buy directly from outside China. One can use the services of an agent though (ex cssbuy.com).

Anyhow, I got the gold plated PM3770 compatible binding post.



From the datasheet, the binding post is copper and insulator are supposed to be ABS. I’m not sure about the white washer though. Feel like PTFE but could be something else. Gold plating is 2u thick.

I'll compare bbs.1ppm.cn binding post to a Superior Electric BP31, a ESI equipment binding post and a Pomona 3770.


« Last Edit: June 13, 2025, 07:00:42 pm by Kosmic »
 
The following users thanked this post: syau, PascalNE

Offline KosmicTopic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 2593
  • Country: ca
Re: bbs.1ppm.cn Binding Post
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2025, 06:30:44 pm »
I’ll start by testing leakage and compare the results to some other binding posts.

Test Setup

Measurement was done with an Advantest R8340 at 100V in a shielded aluminum box.

Each binding post was cleaned in an ultrasonic cleaner with isopropyl alcohol. They were then mounted on a FR4 board with copper on one side.





Voltage was injected on the binding post via a banana connector and leakage was measured from the FR4 board.



Results


bbs.1ppm.cn binding post:
59.9 Tohms or 1.67 pA


Pomona 3770:
51.8 Tohms or 1.95 pA


Superior Electric BP31:
94.3 Tohms or 1.08 pA


ESI binding post:
110 Tohms or 0.95 pA
« Last Edit: June 13, 2025, 06:49:08 pm by Kosmic »
 
The following users thanked this post: Vgkid, aronake, Overspeed, PascalNE

Offline KosmicTopic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 2593
  • Country: ca
Re: bbs.1ppm.cn Binding Post
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2025, 06:31:38 pm »
Reserved for thermal EMF test results (as soon as I have some free time to do the setup  ;D)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2025, 07:03:23 pm by Kosmic »
 

Offline PascalNE

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 283
  • Country: gb
    • Personal Website
Re: bbs.1ppm.cn Binding Post
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2025, 09:15:22 pm »
These are great tests thanks.  :-+
I'll add your results to my topic on these things (crediting this great post of course)
If you are interested in testing more maybe I can send you them?
Move slow and break things
 

Offline TimFox

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 11932
  • Country: us
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
Re: bbs.1ppm.cn Binding Post
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2025, 09:45:36 pm »
Out of curiosity, for these extremely high resistance values (ca. 50 to 100 T\$\Omega\$) did you see any sign of nonlinearity?
Maybe compare the current at 50 and 100 V?
 

Offline zlymex

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 633
  • Country: cn
Re: bbs.1ppm.cn Binding Post
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2025, 01:00:36 am »
Great try!
I also planed to test the thermal emf of my binding posts.
Top left test fixture including resistor heater array and a fan.
Top right is the power source for the above.
Bottom left is my DIY nanoV amp.
Bottom right is the data collector and the power supply.
Measurement is Comparison.  https://bbs.38hot.net/
 
The following users thanked this post: Kosmic, syau, PascalNE

Offline coppercone2

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 13719
  • Country: us
  • √Y√... 📎
Re: bbs.1ppm.cn Binding Post
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2025, 01:15:16 am »
Out of curiosity, for these extremely high resistance values (ca. 50 to 100 T\$\Omega\$) did you see any sign of nonlinearity?
Maybe compare the current at 50 and 100 V?
 
The following users thanked this post: BILLPOD

Offline PascalNE

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 283
  • Country: gb
    • Personal Website
Re: bbs.1ppm.cn Binding Post
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2025, 01:54:39 am »
Bottom left is my DIY nanoV amp.
What design are you using for the nano volt amplifier? Is it documented anywhere?
Im interested in making similar measurements but there’s a lot of different designs out there.
Move slow and break things
 

Offline KosmicTopic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 2593
  • Country: ca
Re: bbs.1ppm.cn Binding Post
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2025, 02:45:40 am »
Out of curiosity, for these extremely high resistance values (ca. 50 to 100 T\$\Omega\$) did you see any sign of nonlinearity?
Maybe compare the current at 50 and 100 V?

I'll try and let you know.
 

Offline zlymex

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 633
  • Country: cn
Re: bbs.1ppm.cn Binding Post
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2025, 05:52:00 am »
Bottom left is my DIY nanoV amp.
What design are you using for the nano volt amplifier? Is it documented anywhere?
Im interested in making similar measurements but there’s a lot of different designs out there.
I have not write anything about the nano amp yet. I just use a LT1028 for test and suffers 1/f noise problem. I plan to use ADA4528-2 similar to my noise meter.
Measurement is Comparison.  https://bbs.38hot.net/
 
The following users thanked this post: PascalNE

Offline Simmed

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 680
  • Country: 00
Re: bbs.1ppm.cn Binding Post
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2025, 07:28:09 am »
please do 1 test with additional 1 2 or 3 PTFE washer
i remember in 1 thread here
someone else already did tested and it works well
 

Offline coppercone2

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 13719
  • Country: us
  • √Y√... 📎
Re: bbs.1ppm.cn Binding Post
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2025, 08:15:46 am »
and a bake out would be interesting. I wonder if there can be moisture in the part. Or a soak followed by a bake out. Resistance to humidity absorption .


I thought readings might be influenced depending on the shipping method and humidity/air pressure. Like airplane = low pressure for cargo I think. Boat = massive humidity exposure and possibly salt exposure possibly from sea water splashing around etc (as hard as they try its always possible something gets splashed, leaking container and so on.


Low pressure can dehydrate stuff I think. Like mountain potatoes
« Last Edit: June 14, 2025, 08:21:56 am by coppercone2 »
 

Offline tuoni

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 6
  • Country: cn
Re: bbs.1ppm.cn Binding Post
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2025, 12:57:57 pm »
Hello everyone, the bbs.1ppm.cn mentioned above is me. I sincerely thank everyone for their trust. I happened to use the HP34420A today to measure the thermoelectric potential. I am sharing pictures for your reference, and I will answer any questions you may have. My English is not good, so all content has been sent after being translated by software. Please forgive me!
Because a metal shielding box could not be found temporarily, a BZ3 resistor was used as a substitute.
 
The following users thanked this post: Mickle T., edavid, Kean, Kosmic, syau, PascalNE

Offline coppercone2

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 13719
  • Country: us
  • √Y√... 📎
Re: bbs.1ppm.cn Binding Post
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2025, 06:26:05 pm »
this might interest you for test setups
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/metrology/thermal-emf-for-soldered-components/msg3591385/#msg3591385

(read the entire end of thread though, its just a start)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2025, 06:27:40 pm by coppercone2 »
 

Offline tatel

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 861
  • Country: es
Re: bbs.1ppm.cn Binding Post
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2025, 08:29:12 pm »
Hello everyone, the bbs.1ppm.cn mentioned above is me. I sincerely thank everyone for their trust. I happened to use the HP34420A today to measure the thermoelectric potential. I am sharing pictures for your reference, and I will answer any questions you may have. My English is not good, so all content has been sent after being translated by software. Please forgive me!
Because a metal shielding box could not be found temporarily, a BZ3 resistor was used as a substitute.

You're welcome

I bought a bunch of spade lugs and some binding posts/adapters from you, through @PascalNE. They are on the way from UK to Spain.

I would like to ask about wires used with these lugs and about crimping. I was expecting to use some kind of stranded wire and wonder about the crimping tool that could be used.

Your spade lugs look good enough to be worth some testing: that's the reason I wanted them. However it looks they are designed for much thicker wire than the one in your photographs, so no wonder some solder has been used.

But I would like just to crimp them, I think that would be better both for low thermal EMF and connection thoughness. Perhaps some thicker, stranded wire will have so much thermal mass to make soldering preferable? I was thinking, thermal mass wouldn't be so important if both wire and spade lug are high purity copper?

 

Offline PascalNE

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 283
  • Country: gb
    • Personal Website
Re: bbs.1ppm.cn Binding Post
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2025, 08:55:08 pm »
From my experience I have been able to make secure connections using a normal cheap crimping tool https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006847404824.html (without soldering) onto small 22AWG wire.
I find the trick is to basically press down one side of the connector over the wire and then fold the other over.
 It should also be a little easier with yours since they are 0.8mm not 1mm.
Although this can be a little fiddly and doesn't always look the prettiest, functionally it is fine.  :-+
I would suggest to bbs.1ppm.cn in future using ones more designed for small wire (some of nimolvs ones were a bit better for this)
Move slow and break things
 

Offline KosmicTopic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 2593
  • Country: ca
Re: bbs.1ppm.cn Binding Post
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2025, 01:08:44 am »
please do 1 test with additional 1 2 or 3 PTFE washer
i remember in 1 thread here
someone else already did tested and it works well

I did something like that in my capacitor box. The problem with this aproach is that if you put a washer on each side you endup with mechanical issues. PTFE being a little bit slippery it's hard to secure the binding post correctly on the front panel. This is why most binding posts have some kind of notch in the insulator to prevent rotation.


 
The following users thanked this post: Simmed

Offline KosmicTopic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 2593
  • Country: ca
Re: bbs.1ppm.cn Binding Post
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2025, 01:14:57 am »
and a bake out would be interesting. I wonder if there can be moisture in the part. Or a soak followed by a bake out. Resistance to humidity absorption .


I thought readings might be influenced depending on the shipping method and humidity/air pressure. Like airplane = low pressure for cargo I think. Boat = massive humidity exposure and possibly salt exposure possibly from sea water splashing around etc (as hard as they try its always possible something gets splashed, leaking container and so on.


Low pressure can dehydrate stuff I think. Like mountain potatoes

I wanted to try something like that (soaking) on PLA and PETG filaments and evaluate if moisture absorbtion impact isolation. I might throw in the plastic parts of tuoni's binding post in the test and see how they are impacted by moistures.
 
The following users thanked this post: PascalNE

Offline KosmicTopic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 2593
  • Country: ca
Re: bbs.1ppm.cn Binding Post
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2025, 01:19:29 am »
Hello everyone, the bbs.1ppm.cn mentioned above is me. I sincerely thank everyone for their trust. I happened to use the HP34420A today to measure the thermoelectric potential. I am sharing pictures for your reference, and I will answer any questions you may have. My English is not good, so all content has been sent after being translated by software. Please forgive me!
Because a metal shielding box could not be found temporarily, a BZ3 resistor was used as a substitute.

Thanks tuoni for making those binding posts available to us :-+

I'm planning to use them on 2 LTZ1000 references I'm slowly building. They will fit perfectly.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2025, 01:50:20 am by Kosmic »
 

Offline tuoni

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 6
  • Country: cn
Re: bbs.1ppm.cn Binding Post
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2025, 03:13:51 am »

I use 13AWG wire. After processing it with a hydraulic pliers, I add solder. For thinner wires, such as network cables, I use a locking pliers to press them tightly and then add solder.

Offline coppercone2

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 13719
  • Country: us
  • √Y√... 📎
Re: bbs.1ppm.cn Binding Post
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2025, 03:17:43 am »
and a bake out would be interesting. I wonder if there can be moisture in the part. Or a soak followed by a bake out. Resistance to humidity absorption .


I thought readings might be influenced depending on the shipping method and humidity/air pressure. Like airplane = low pressure for cargo I think. Boat = massive humidity exposure and possibly salt exposure possibly from sea water splashing around etc (as hard as they try its always possible something gets splashed, leaking container and so on.


Low pressure can dehydrate stuff I think. Like mountain potatoes

I wanted to try something like that (soaking) on PLA and PETG filaments and evaluate if moisture absorbtion impact isolation. I might throw in the plastic parts of tuoni's binding post in the test and see how they are impacted by moistures.


Its the most important part would be to find out what it does 6 months after being installed in equipment in sub par conditions, not what it says out of the box
 

Offline Simmed

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 680
  • Country: 00
Re: bbs.1ppm.cn Binding Post
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2025, 05:37:23 pm »
and a bake out would be interesting. I wonder if there can be moisture in the part. Or a soak followed by a bake out. Resistance to humidity absorption .


I thought readings might be influenced depending on the shipping method and humidity/air pressure. Like airplane = low pressure for cargo I think. Boat = massive humidity exposure and possibly salt exposure possibly from sea water splashing around etc (as hard as they try its always possible something gets splashed, leaking container and so on.


Low pressure can dehydrate stuff I think. Like mountain potatoes

I wanted to try something like that (soaking) on PLA and PETG filaments and evaluate if moisture absorbtion impact isolation. I might throw in the plastic parts of tuoni's binding post in the test and see how they are impacted by moistures.

just a stray idea  :P
if bulk PLA is somehow conductive ? 1pA ? due to moisture
then what if the knob is not printed as a full solid but hollow ?
would a hollow knob be better ?  :-//
or there some undulations on the surface to increase creepage ?   :-//
 

Offline Alex Nikitin

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1568
  • Country: gb
  • Femtoampnut and Tapehead.
    • A.N.T. Audio
Re: bbs.1ppm.cn Binding Post
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2025, 09:19:30 pm »
please do 1 test with additional 1 2 or 3 PTFE washer
i remember in 1 thread here
someone else already did tested and it works well

This thread  ;) ?

Cheers

Alex
 
The following users thanked this post: Simmed

Offline TimFox

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 11932
  • Country: us
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
Re: bbs.1ppm.cn Binding Post
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2025, 10:25:40 pm »
Teflon washers are also available as shoulder washers for insulation purposes, such as
https://www.mcmaster.com/93835A370/
 

Offline Simmed

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 680
  • Country: 00
Re: bbs.1ppm.cn Binding Post
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2025, 07:05:33 am »
please do 1 test with additional 1 2 or 3 PTFE washer
i remember in 1 thread here
someone else already did tested and it works well

This thread  ;) ?

Cheers

Alex

ah yes the fA

Quote
another 20 spacers were washed in IPA. After thorough drying the spacers and re-mounting the posts, the leakage went down to 10-30fA on all nine, making roughly a 1000 times improvement.
 


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->