Author Topic: Mini Metrology Kit for travelling - advice sought  (Read 6505 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline enut11Topic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1077
  • Country: au
  • Love building/modifying/restoring test equipment
Re: Mini Metrology Kit for travelling - advice sought
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2026, 09:55:03 pm »
This one looks promising. Has anyone tried it?
Ebay item: 388649447777
an electronics nut from wayback...
 

Offline tatel

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 866
  • Country: es
Re: Mini Metrology Kit for travelling - advice sought
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2026, 10:05:21 am »
Looks like Tony Albus tried something quite similar, but supposedly it was calibrated with a 7.5d device...

 
The following users thanked this post: Kean

Offline enut11Topic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1077
  • Country: au
  • Love building/modifying/restoring test equipment
Re: Mini Metrology Kit for travelling - advice sought
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2026, 07:15:48 pm »
Thanks @tatel. I will check that out.
The ebay seller I contacted did not offer a calibration certificate making his item useless.
Another ebay 399 reference I saw with SMA output offered calibrated 2.5, 5.0, 7.5 and 10.0v but no direct zener output.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2026, 10:21:22 am by enut11 »
an electronics nut from wayback...
 

Online KungFuJosh

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 8320
  • Country: us
  • TEAS is real.
Re: Mini Metrology Kit for travelling - advice sought
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2026, 07:33:29 pm »
Thanks @Tate. I will check that out.
The ebay seller I contacted did not offer a calibration certificate making his item useless.
Another ebay 399 reference I saw with SMA output offered calibrated 2.5, 5.0, 7.5 and 10.0v but no direct zener output.
Why is it useless without the cert? If they did include a certificate, would you blindly believe it to be authentic?

If you need an absolute value to be accurate, it needs a valid & traceable certificate, which you will not find for any of those.

I have the VREF10-001r9, and I think it's quite good for a portable reference, and comes with a real certificate. You can see results from it in the Noise/Stability thread. It's not as good as a good ADR1399 ref, but it's excellent for what it is.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright
Best Continuity Tester Ever
Best Continuity Tester Ever...Got Betterer!
 

Offline Smokey

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3881
  • Country: us
  • Not An Expert
Re: Mini Metrology Kit for travelling - advice sought
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2026, 08:24:17 pm »
You can use the the best in cal meter to "certify" one of these ebay toys, but it is almost guaranteed to have a terrible Tc and age and drift all over the place even at constant temp.   If you are interested in "metrology" you should stop expecting small cheap portable stuff you get off ebay for $5 to also be high quality and reliable.
 
The following users thanked this post: enut11, KungFuJosh

Offline enut11Topic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1077
  • Country: au
  • Love building/modifying/restoring test equipment
Re: Mini Metrology Kit for travelling - advice sought
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2026, 10:11:19 pm »
KungFuJosh
Why is it useless without the cert? If they did include a certificate, would you blindly believe it to be authentic?

If you need an absolute value to be accurate, it needs a valid & traceable certificate, which you will not find for any of those.

I have the VREF10-001r9, and I think it's quite good for a portable reference, and comes with a real certificate. You can see results from it in the Noise/Stability thread. It's not as good as a good ADR1399 ref, but it's excellent for what it is.
[/quote]

@KungFuJosh, are you talking about a chip or complete 10v reference? My search so far indicates that the chip is not available.
I need a calibrated reference because I am nowhere near where I could get one calibrated.
enut11
« Last Edit: September 16, 2026, 10:13:13 pm by enut11 »
an electronics nut from wayback...
 

Online KungFuJosh

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 8320
  • Country: us
  • TEAS is real.
Re: Mini Metrology Kit for travelling - advice sought
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2026, 11:46:14 pm »
@KungFuJosh, are you talking about a chip or complete 10v reference? My search so far indicates that the chip is not available.
I need a calibrated reference because I am nowhere near where I could get one calibrated.
enut11
I'm not sure what chip you can't get, but I'd recommend a real calibrated reference first either way.

This is something you should consider: https://voltagestandard.com/shop/ols/products/vref10-001-r9

If it says out of stock, email him and let him know you want one.
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright
Best Continuity Tester Ever
Best Continuity Tester Ever...Got Betterer!
 

Offline enut11Topic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1077
  • Country: au
  • Love building/modifying/restoring test equipment
Re: Mini Metrology Kit for travelling - advice sought
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2026, 12:06:07 am »
@KungFuJosh
That was the website that cannot supply their best reference due to chip unavailability.

I have lots of good Vrefs in my home lab including an LTZ1000 but we are away on an extended caravanning holiday.
enut11
« Last Edit: September 17, 2026, 12:19:05 am by enut11 »
an electronics nut from wayback...
 

Online KungFuJosh

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 8320
  • Country: us
  • TEAS is real.
Re: Mini Metrology Kit for travelling - advice sought
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2026, 01:00:42 am »
Oh, that sucks. I hope he makes a new version with a newer/better chip then.
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright
Best Continuity Tester Ever
Best Continuity Tester Ever...Got Betterer!
 

Offline enut11Topic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1077
  • Country: au
  • Love building/modifying/restoring test equipment
Re: Mini Metrology Kit for travelling - advice sought
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2026, 08:53:20 pm »
I was asked what possible use is a calibrated voltage reference in a caravan?

The short answer is none...

However, an uncalibrated reference is useless now or later.
an electronics nut from wayback...
 

Online KungFuJosh

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 8320
  • Country: us
  • TEAS is real.
Re: Mini Metrology Kit for travelling - advice sought
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2026, 01:12:51 am »
However, an uncalibrated reference is useless now or later.

Unless you get it calibrated now or later.
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright
Best Continuity Tester Ever
Best Continuity Tester Ever...Got Betterer!
 

Offline Doctorandus_P

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 5361
  • Country: nl
Re: Mini Metrology Kit for travelling - advice sought
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2026, 01:44:59 am »
I don't agree here. You don't necessarily need "metrology grade" equipment to do metrology things and make it do something useful. For example, you can have a few "decent" voltage reference IC's, build a setup with an uC, a few (74hc)4051 chips and a whole bunch of TL431 chips (They are available from a lot of brands, some claim much better stability then others), and then build a rig that logs and compares long term stability / drift of the 431 class IC's.
 
The following users thanked this post: Kean, enut11

Offline enut11Topic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1077
  • Country: au
  • Love building/modifying/restoring test equipment
Re: Mini Metrology Kit for travelling - advice sought
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2026, 10:38:51 pm »
Chinese LM399 reference has arrived. I let it run overnight before testing.

As received Agilent 34410A cal data as follows:
10v  9.94401
Vz    7.00681

My Fluke 4.5D 8060A reads:
9.944v
7.007v

Encouraging but inconclusive.
Today it goes to a Forum member who can verify this.
an electronics nut from wayback...
 


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->