Author Topic: New 3458A owner with questions  (Read 1775 times)

Offline rhbTopic starter

• Super Contributor
New 3458A owner with questions
« on: November 14, 2023, 01:22:46 am »
In a fit of severe TEA syndrome I bought a 1990 3458A with symptoms very nearly identical to the one that Shamir fixed in his video on SignalPath.

What  are suitable replacements for the NVRAM?  I know from experience with the Tek 11801 that it's often hard to get the right parts and may take months.  Purely a EOL support product line with small runs.

I don't plan to take it apart until I've received the NVRAM chips.  Are there other parts I should order before I embark on the repair?

Thanks,
Reg

Offline CurtisSeizert

• Regular Contributor
Re: New 3458A owner with questions
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2023, 06:36:48 am »
Get DIP sockets. I used the MillMax ones and they worked well. When I did a similar repair earlier this year, all the necessary Dallas chips were in stock at Digikey. Also, wasn't the source of the issue in his repair loose fiber optic cables? It has been a while since I watched that so I may be forgetting something.

Offline IanJ

• Supporter
  • Full time EE & Youtuber
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2023, 01:27:46 pm »
If you want to steer away from battery backed NVRams (Cal & Settings) then there is an alternative by way of FRAM IC's.
I made a wee YT Short a few months ago.
Gerbers attached.

https://youtube.com/shorts/Vz6c6m86O4c

Ian.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2023, 01:34:21 pm by IanJ »
Ian Johnston - Original designer of the PDVS2mini || Author of the free WinGPIB app.
Website - www.ianjohnston.com
YT Channel (electronics repairs & projects): www.youtube.com/user/IanScottJohnston, Twitter (X): https://twitter.com/IanSJohnston

The following users thanked this post: doktor pyta, ch_scr, MegaVolt, DH7DN, CurtisSeizert, Ole

Offline rhbTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2023, 03:29:41 pm »
There was a good deal more than a loose fiber and NVRAM.  An opamp or two was also bad. and a voltage regulator pair.  I'll be installing sockets any time I unsolder DIPs.

I encountered a 6 month wait for the NVRAM in my first 11801.  The NVRAM will outlast me, but if I  can't get it now  have a solution.

Have Fun!
Reg

Offline Echo88

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2023, 03:45:56 pm »
Its Shahriar, not Shamir.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2023, 04:13:52 pm by Echo88 »

The following users thanked this post: rhb

Offline ap

• Frequent Contributor
    • ab-precision
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2023, 06:57:55 am »
Have you checked drift of the A/D board? Many units have that problem. There is an appnote for that from KS (AN18).
Metrology and test gear and other stuff: www.ab-precision.com

Offline rhbTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2023, 02:42:38 pm »
I've not done anything but power it up and verify it is as described.  I'm in the midst of a complete overhaul of my 1530 sq ft shop and constructing a 12' x 16' shielded room for my electronics lab.

I don't currently have the documentation and was hoping someone would post the NVRAM part number for current replacements available.

Once I replace the NVRAM I'll start investigating what other faults it might have.

Have Fun!
Reg

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf