Author Topic: Teardown: Standard Resistors  (Read 143962 times)

Offline chekhov

• Regular Contributor
Re: Teardown: Standard Resistors
« Reply #275 on: October 30, 2023, 09:33:10 pm »
It's hard to look deep inside, and I cannot disassemble it further, so 'scratch' in the center of this image is the only visible trim that I see clearly.
Also, by how light is reflected from surface, there is one more trim at the central line in the middle of the 'die', and two or there little ones in other places.

Online TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #276 on: October 30, 2023, 10:30:42 pm »
That "scratch" could be a trim made at the factory.
I have seen similar trim marks on Vishay foil resistors.
The features to which I referred are the geometric white lines that seem to bound areas of the element.

Online Nanitamuscen

• Contributor
« Reply #277 on: October 31, 2023, 06:18:57 am »
The features to which I referred are the geometric white lines that seem to bound areas of the element.

You look at my post earlier in this thread, it shows exactly the same resistive element, but at a higher resistance.

Offline branadic

• Super Contributor
  • Sounds like noise
« Reply #278 on: November 06, 2023, 07:57:07 pm »
Not a teardown, more like a tearup sort of thing, DIY hermetically sealed resistor filled with mineral oil. We can choose between Fluke-like brass or red gold (copper). :)

-branadic-
Computers exist to solve problems that we wouldn't have without them. AI exists to answer questions, we wouldn't ask without it.

The following users thanked this post: lowimpedance, Mickle T., Andreas, e61_phil, alm, 0.01C, ch_scr, MegaVolt, RAQU_PL

Offline r6502

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #279 on: November 08, 2023, 03:59:38 pm »
hello branadic,

interesting , where did you get the feet trough's?

BR Guido
Science can amuse and fascinate us all, but it is engineering that changes the world - - Isaac Asimov

Offline branadic

• Super Contributor
  • Sounds like noise
« Last Edit: November 08, 2023, 07:31:29 pm by branadic »
Computers exist to solve problems that we wouldn't have without them. AI exists to answer questions, we wouldn't ask without it.

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #281 on: November 08, 2023, 08:07:52 pm »
They originate from the former Soviet Union (NOS military). I purchased some similar ones around 10 years ago. As far as I can see, supplies seem to have dried up on ebay, but that may be due to the current situation. This type is useful because the wire can pass straight through them, removing any additional thermocoupe effects.
Best Regards, Chris

Offline chekhov

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #282 on: November 30, 2023, 08:13:22 pm »
One more decade resistor, Р40106 this time. 10^7 and 10^6 in a single box.

The following users thanked this post: Mickle T., Vgkid, doktor pyta, bsw_m, wolfy007, ch_scr, Kosmic

Online Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #283 on: December 01, 2023, 07:23:12 am »
One more decade resistor, Р40106 this time. 10^7 and 10^6 in a single box.
Thanks for the teardown . I find it interesting that the smaller resistors are not always connected to the larger resistors. I guess it is a sot trim resistor.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline chekhov

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #284 on: December 01, 2023, 09:17:19 am »
Sorry, haven't scanned schematics in good quality yet, but indeed I missed more description.

All little resistors are indeed trim resistors, but the ones without connection are actually back-up  :-+
All resistors have the same value 2M or 20M, but in series or in parallel connection allows to form all 1-10 values, so if some of them go off limit (which happens pretty frequently for these MRX resistors with time) or they just burned by too high voltage, they could be replaced by these pre-selected pairs in the field (there was not even any protective label on bottom cap - open and nobody notices).
« Last Edit: December 01, 2023, 09:19:18 am by chekhov »

The following users thanked this post: Vgkid, ch_scr, MegaVolt

Offline KirstyA

• Contributor
  • Interested in Test Equipment for my Workbench
« Reply #285 on: December 07, 2023, 08:47:38 pm »
Hello Everybody,

I have just acquired this resistor as part of a set I am building up.
Unfortunately this one appears to be open circuit which is very disspointing as it has the last measured value on it as well.
Can I get this resistor apart to inspect/repair it, or is it soldered together?

Offline alm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #286 on: December 08, 2023, 12:09:26 am »
I don't know this specific type, but with the similar looking Rosa type resistors, the top unscrews. Early ones were press fit I believe. I've also seen resistors with a small screw near the top of the can. Usually these standard resistors, unless hermetic, can be disassembled for oil replacement.

The following users thanked this post: KirstyA

Offline donlisms

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #287 on: December 08, 2023, 01:43:52 am »
The top is pretty clearly a different piece, and it will have had to be held on somehow.  Not only that, but (almost certainly) it has to be a method accessible from the outside, so if it's soldered, you should be able to see some clues - soldering is never quite that perfect.

Unless... the bottom comes off. More pictures would be helpful!  But just continuing to look and think, looking for tiny clues, might yield your answers.

I'm kind curious about that screw on top.  None of my Leeds and Northrup or Honeywell resistors have such a screw.  Ground lug?  Structural?  Pressure thing?  Hm.

It is kinda pretty, though!  Is that gold paint?

The following users thanked this post: KirstyA

Offline guenthert

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #288 on: December 08, 2023, 11:12:57 am »
I thought that screw might be connected to an adjustable resistor, trimming the total, but I was mistaken.  I think I've seen such with resistors made by -hp- and Tinsley, but at least for the Tinsley 5695 it is a connecting point to the shield (guard), see http://www.tinsley.co.uk/wp/downloads/Tinsley_5685-and-5695.pdf

Offline KirstyA

• Contributor
« Reply #289 on: December 08, 2023, 01:37:20 pm »
I don't know this specific type, but with the similar looking Rosa type resistors, the top unscrews. Early ones were press fit I believe. I've also seen resistors with a small screw near the top of the can. Usually these standard resistors, unless hermetic, can be disassembled for oil replacement.

I'm beginning to think press fit as well

Offline KirstyA

• Contributor
« Reply #290 on: December 08, 2023, 01:44:48 pm »
The top is pretty clearly a different piece, and it will have had to be held on somehow.  Not only that, but (almost certainly) it has to be a method accessible from the outside, so if it's soldered, you should be able to see some clues - soldering is never quite that perfect.

I'm kind curious about that screw on top.  None of my Leeds and Northrup or Honeywell resistors have such a screw.  Ground lug?  Structural?  Pressure thing?  Hm.

It is kinda pretty, though!  Is that gold paint?

It's a dual can assembly. Looks like the two cans are soldered from the bottom, but I don't see any solder on the top, just what looks like a possible red gasket. Presumably meaning a press fit of the top and coil assembly into the two cans?

The screw on the top you can remove and change the oil as this resistor is oil filled.

This one has brass arms and copper vertical inserts. Some of the others I have in the set seem to have copper arms.

Offline KirstyA

• Contributor
« Reply #291 on: December 08, 2023, 02:18:25 pm »
The bottom of the Cambridge is soldered, what about the top?

The top is soldered. But the connection bar seals are far from hermetic. The Cambridge type is oil filled, not air, so there is also an oil screw at the top plate.

Looking back right through this thread it seems this Cambridge resistor is soldered top and bottom, so not easy to get into without wreaking it.
I'm suspecting somebody overloaded it and burn it, although I find that hard to believe since it is oil filled and therefore would have had to have been a big overload because of the oil cooling?
It's a shame because it's part of a set of 5 I bought from 1 Ohm to 10K, all with UKAS cal stickers on and all with their actual measured value on as well and although the values wouldn't be completely accurate now, (UKAS cal lab measured in 2007), they would have been more than accurate enough for me.
Looks like I am going to have to return it for a refund.

Offline trobbins

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #292 on: December 08, 2023, 11:18:57 pm »
By the way, what resolution did the latest measured value provide, given say a nameplate of 10,000 ohm would indicate within 0.5 ohm.

Offline Victorman222

• Contributor
« Reply #293 on: February 07, 2024, 12:32:53 am »
Here is a teardown of a soviet decade resistance box R327 (Р327 cyrillic) made at the Krasnodar ZIP plant. It boasts an accuracy class of 0.01%. This one was assembled from two slightly broken units.

The following users thanked this post: Mickle T., doktor pyta, alm, wolfy007, ch_scr, bastl_r

Offline Victorman222

• Contributor
« Reply #294 on: February 07, 2024, 12:35:12 am »
Close up photos of the resistors

The following users thanked this post: Mickle T., doktor pyta, Gyro, alm, wolfy007, ch_scr, MegaVolt, bastl_r, Nanitamuscen

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #295 on: February 07, 2024, 10:11:35 am »
Nice switches. Those butt joints on the lowest decade look 'interesting'. Presumably they are spot welded but I don't think I'd like to put any pressure on them.
Best Regards, Chris

Offline Conrad Hoffman

• Super Contributor
    • The Messy Basement
« Reply #296 on: February 07, 2024, 12:09:27 pm »
"Interesting" is a good description. I think they're hard soldered (silver brazed?) but could be something else. Doesn't seem like a great method but probably works just fine.

Offline bsw_m

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #297 on: February 15, 2024, 06:52:30 pm »
Interesting find. Standard resistor R3030/2 produced by the Krasnodar ZIP plant. There is no information about them, and they seem to be experimental samples.
The accuracy class of these standard resistors is 5ppm.
I compared them with each other, the difference was less than 3 ppm.
A little later I will measure the true values of these standard resistors.

Offline manganin

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #298 on: February 15, 2024, 10:36:24 pm »
Standard resistor R3030/2 produced by the Krasnodar ZIP plant. There is no information about them, and they seem to be experimental samples.

Small size secondary standards based on Soviet bulk metal foil technology.

Offline bsw_m

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #299 on: February 16, 2024, 10:48:32 am »
Measurement results for these standard resistors (See attached photos).
All standard resistors are out of tolerance.
They also have a very high TCR (about 10ppm/K)
Conclusions - these standard resistors are interesting artifacts from the past, but nothing more.

The following users thanked this post: Vgkid, HighVoltage, doktor pyta, alm, TUMEMBER, Victorman222

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf