Author Topic: Voltage Transducer for Oscillography (DIN rail)  (Read 802 times)

Offline MoroTopic starter

Voltage Transducer for Oscillography (DIN rail)
« on: September 06, 2019, 04:54:48 pm »
Hello,

My first post, but a long time reader of these EEVblog forums.   :)

I'm looking for ideas and suggestions for a problem I am having.  In short, I need a transducer that will allow me to view mains voltage waveforms on a scope, but in a permanent installation.  It would need to be UL (or equivalent) listed.

The longer story is that I've developed a disturbance fault recorder using a microcontroller and a separate ADC chip.  To date, it's been used in a few research labs using my own homebrew transducer board, but now I've an opportunity to install some of my recorders in the wild.  A homebrew board connected to the mains isn't going to cut it with the end users involved.  To keep life simple, I thought I would use an off the shelf voltage transducer, but now that I look they all seem to be calculating RMS voltage.  Not what I need at all.  Really I need something like an isolation transformer or a Hall effect transducer in a DIN rail box.

The input side would be either 230 V or 120 V nominal, maybe three phase (but 3x single phase will do too), and the output would be a bipolar voltage of say +/- 5 V.  It would be in a fixed installation, so DIN mounting would be preferred but not essential.

I've wondered if there's something on the market that would do this?  If there is I'm not using the correct terms to find it.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.  :)

Offline pigrew

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Voltage Transducer for Oscillography (DIN rail)
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2019, 05:11:25 pm »
Can you use a plain old AC transformer, like this one, but lower voltage output? The disadvantage is that the bandwidth may be somewhat low.

Offline Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
Re: Voltage Transducer for Oscillography (DIN rail)
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2019, 05:28:59 pm »
A transformer is probably the way to go. The bandwidth is limited, but not that bad, but one would have to check. However the very small ones would likely no work to well and may give extra waveform distortion (especially at 230 V).  With some luck a good transformer for a door bell may work (if build for low no load loss) - some a available for the DIN rail.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf