Author Topic: BSDL for ATMega169P JTAG  (Read 5718 times)

Offline gmb42Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
BSDL for ATMega169P JTAG
« on: February 17, 2014, 09:57:32 pm »
I'm trying to flash an ATMega169P using JTAG.  My JTAG adaptor is a Bus Blaster that emulates an AlmondTec JTAGKey, and I'm using UrJTAG 0.10.

When I run up UrJTAG, connect to the adaptor and try to detect the target I get the following output:

jtag> cable jtagkey
Connected to libftd2xx driver.
jtag> detect
IR length: 4
Chain length: 1
Device Id: 01101001010000000101000000111111 (0x000000006940503F)
  Manufacturer: Atmel
  Unknown part!
chain.c(149) Part 0 without active instruction
chain.c(200) Part 0 without active instruction
chain.c(149) Part 0 without active instruction

So UrJTAG seems to recognise the manufacturer but not the part.  I've downloaded the ATMega BSDL files from Atmel, but that set only includes a file for the ATMega169 which doesn't seem to match the target.

Is there a separate BSDL file for the 169P hidden somewhere, or can I construct one?  I only need to flash the device, not debug it.

Or am I going to be forced to buy a JTAGICE (clone) to flash the target using Atmel tools?

Offline roli_bark

• Regular Contributor
Re: BSDL for ATMega169P JTAG
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 08:49:29 pm »
Here you go (found it in the Atmel site - in the ICE/ISP sections):

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 09:38:37 am »
Thanks, but that's for the plain 169, not the 169P.

I did manage to modify the plain 169 file (massaging the device ID) to recognise the 169P chip (using UrJTAG), but I still couldn't get avrdude to play nicely.

I've just received a USB AVR JTAG ICE clone via Ebay so I'll try that.

Offline roli_bark

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 08:54:49 am »
There's an avrdude GUI - called "eXtreme Burner" - which supports ANY AVR device.
If, for example, its default version does not support a device, you just change (add lines) for the wanted target in a configuration *.xml file.

The SW:
http://extremeelectronics.co.in/avr-tutorials/gui-software-for-usbasp-based-usb-avr-programmers/

Instructions on how to add an AVR missing device:
https://sites.google.com/site/controltechnologyperu/home/Tutoriales/tutorial-avr-assembler/atmega-328p-en-extreme-burner

or
http://blackstufflabs.com/2011/11/27/extreme-burner-atmega328p/?lang=en

or
http://forum.extremeelectronics.co.in/index.php?topic=2391.0
( see post 3 from top )

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 10:37:57 am »
I'll have a look but it seems that extreme burner is only for usbasp type interfaces.  I need a jtag one (the target device only has a jtag connector not an ICSP one).

Further to my woes, the JTAGICE Mk1 clone I bought does allow avrdude to read the device id, but fails to set the fuses.  I haven't yet tried to write the flash.  Why is AVR so complicated?  I may have to spring for an AVR Dragon or JTAGICE Mk III purely for writing to this device (an HR-20 radiator valve) when I have no other need or interest in AVR.

I might try again with the Bus Blaster and avrdude on Linux rather than Windows to see if that will work, on Windows avrdude complained about lack of libusb being compiled in.

Offline roli_bark

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 06:00:04 am »
I've got a JtagIce mkII knockoff from eBay @ ~$100. It works (r/w flash, eeprom, all fuses) perfectly from within Atmel Studio 6.1. Interestingly enough, a JtagIce mkII (original version) can be bought @ $399 (!!!) directly from Atmel, while JtagIce3 - for $99. I don't understand why this huge price gap.

As for the 'avrdude' for windows missing libusb, try to put the attached dll in you 'avrdude' executable folder.
[ either leave it at "libusb0.dll", or rename it to "libusb.dll" ]

AVR family is just fine (and still, I'am not necessarily an AVR fanboy), it is just that there are many AVR knockoff products/dev-boards (Arduino like) out there with lack of support.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 09:59:35 am »
Thanks for the info, I think I did try previously with the libusb dll but no joy.

Offline emusic

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 06:24:00 am »
I'm trying to flash an ATMega169P using JTAG.  My JTAG adaptor is a Bus Blaster that emulates an AlmondTec JTAGKey, and I'm using UrJTAG 0.10.
Could you please tell what Bus Blaster version and what SVF file was used for buffer logic programming?

I just got v3c and want to use it for SPI flash programming but STM25P05 and MX25L8005 don't respond to UrJtag 0.10 "detect" command at all. To test SPI functions, I connected a working USBASP board that can be programmed by any AVR programmer. It is not detected too (TDO signal doesnt' change at all). I tried to set JTAG frequency from 100000 to 1000000 but no success.

Since your BusBlaster allows you to at least detect ATMega IC in JTAGKey emulation, mine should do too. I tried several v3 SVF files but no success. Algthough, self-test with four jumpers works fine so buffer logic functions correctly.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 12:00:49 pm »
I'll have to check later on when I get home.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf