Author Topic: Can ST Cube IDE do execution time profiling?  (Read 3773 times)

Offline peter-hTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Doing electronics since the 1960s...
Can ST Cube IDE do execution time profiling?
« on: May 21, 2021, 04:36:39 pm »
The internet is full of posts from people tearing their hair out trying to use this tool :)

I have it running OK although 99% of it is a mystery. And the code which the configurator generates is crap ;)

With the old ICEs one could do a bar graph easily, across the address range, and then you could zoom in.

Obviously there is no identical way to do this because the 32F runs code fully internally, so the only way is with a temporary breakpoint, cancelling it as fast as the debugger is capable of (probably still takes milliseconds) and moving it to the next address, the next C source line probably.
Z80 Z180 Z280 Z8 S8 8031 8051 H8/300 H8/500 80x86 90S1200 32F417

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
Re: Can ST Cube IDE do execution time profiling?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2021, 05:17:36 pm »
There are many other ways to trace the code on ARM. What methods are supported by the hardware depends on the device. What methods are supported by the IDE/Debugger depends on that IDE/Debugger.
Alex

Online ajb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2021, 07:49:47 pm »
Segger's Ozone software in combination with a J-Trace probe can do this live, in real time, with zero software changes.  Since Ozone works from the application .elf file it doesn't just track execution over the binary application, it resolves to individual functions and provides code coverage as well as execution time statistics that all update in real time.  It does require using the trace signals (TRACED0-TRACED3 & TRACECK), and depending on your platform you might not be able to run at full speed, but it's pretty powerful otherwise.  (You may also need to throttle down if you didn't include the trace connections on the board and had to bodge them out later  :scared:)

https://www.segger.com/products/development-tools/ozone-j-link-debugger/technology/trace-features/

Whether that's worth the ~$2k price tag of a J-Trace to you or not I can't say.  I guess that's not bad compared to how much a lot of the old ICE systems cost.  I'm not sure if there's an OSS/low cost alternative.  I know someone who was considering making a project out of it but I don't think he's made any progress on it. 
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 09:04:32 pm by ajb »

Offline JOEBOBSICLE

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2021, 08:03:55 pm »
You need a lot of bandwidth to do instruction tracing of  high speed parts. swd or swo just doesn't cut it. One of the best tricks around is to profile how much idle task cpu time you have when using an RTOS with a digital output.

Set the digital output to be high when leaving the idle task and low when entering. Then you can look with a logic analyser and see the exact cpu usage by looking at the duty cycle.

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2021, 08:32:55 pm »
Well. STM32 Cube IDE uses gcc and gdb to talk to ARM. None of those is specific to ST.
So if either of those can, then you can add it to eclipse.

Problem is the high bandwidth, Keil also can't do it with an ST-Link, but you can do exception tracing. For more you really need an ULINK, preferably a pro. And then your board needs the wiring for it.

Quick search delivered this:
https://mcuoneclipse.com/2015/08/23/tutorial-using-gnu-profiling-gprof-with-arm-cortex-m/

But you can also do it in software using the DWT->CYCCNT and a table. Has some overhead though.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2021, 09:25:23 pm »
In principle it should be possible by setting breakpoints at random (or sequential) addresses, immediately cancelling each one.

It would slow the target down a bit but not too much.

Traverse the address space for an hour...

One issue I see is that you have only a limited number of breakpoints, and you would quickly waste them on addresses which never get visited. So you would have to set one, hang around a bit, then clear it.

Does setting a breakpoint which doesn't get hit slow down the target?

The old ICEs were pricey for sure; I paud GBP 5k in 1985 for a Z180 one. But it was amazing. We managed to squeeze far more speed out of the chip, much of it by replacing specific IAR runtime code with assembler routines :) Sometimes we got a 100x speedup, although to be fair in retrospect one could guess where.

The following users thanked this post: I wanted a rude username

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2021, 09:45:18 pm »
What is your actual device?

Even on the most primitive devices with no debug capabilities at all, you can always collect statistics by sampling the PC with a timer interrupt. Obviously interrupts are intrusive, but the timer interval can be quite long if you don't mind waiting for the statistics to be collected.

Breakpoints that do not get hit cost nothing. Breakpoints that do hit are expensive.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 09:47:36 pm by ataradov »
Alex

The following users thanked this post: I wanted a rude username

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2021, 11:03:42 am »
32F417.

Yes, very true about sampling on a timer int. Not difficult to set up an array and then increment elements in it if hit.

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2021, 03:54:13 pm »
This device had all the trace featured ARM offers for microcontrollers.

With ITM (instrumentation trace macrocell) you can get periodic PC samples without affecting the system performance. ETM stream is sent to SWO pin, which can be received by many cheap tools.

With ETM (Embedded Trace Macrocell) you can know what MCU was doing cycle by cycle (with some exceptions of trace port overflow).  But this information is sent over a separate trace port (4 data pins + clock) and this port is very fast (~core clock) and can only be received by special and expensive tools.

Generally I find ETM to be not very useful in real life for debugging. It may be more useful for profiling, I don't know, never needed to do that.
Alex

Offline Siwastaja

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2021, 04:07:09 pm »
And finally, in practice, often just reading SYSTICK or some other timer in beginning and end of interesting/critical ISRs or processing functions (often less than handful of those) then saving min/max/avg times in variables and dump those out is not much work and almost non-intrusive (or explicitly, predictably and repeatably intrusive). Clear benefit is this can be done "on field" or "in production" and communicated out using whatever communication the MCU has to the outside world already, making it unnecessary to bring the unit to the lab table, connect the probe and try to reproduce the behavior.

Offline errorprone

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2021, 04:41:13 pm »
If you’re using FreeRTOS, it also has a build in profiler that you can enable but it is at the Task level instead of function level.  there is an eclipse plugin that can view everything from the IDE.  I’ve only used it with NXP parts and MCUXpresso but should be similar for STM32CubeIDE since they are both eclipse based.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2021, 05:53:11 pm »
I've been using the ITM data console (very fast) and have just found the other ITM output stuff, and the FreeRTOS task display - thank you very much. The task display doesn't update in real time and doesn't show the % time. I did see a video somewhere showing a horizontal display of RTOS activity but can't find it now; may have been a different IDE.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 07:00:11 pm by peter-h »

Offline errorprone

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2021, 10:58:58 pm »
The % should show in real time, if not, it’s probably not configured correctly. You need to enable it in the configuration and hook in an independent timer running at 10-100x the tick rate to use as a sampler. This website has some documentation and example. https://www.freertos.org/rtos-run-time-stats.html

Online Doctorandus_P

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2021, 05:08:24 pm »
I once wrote a pretty simplistic library for debugging Atmel AVR's.
I had a bunch of macro's that inserted bit set and bit clear instructions to output 5-bit codes on an I/O pin and these could be easily caught by a USD10 Logic Analyzer and Sigrok / Pulseview.

To follow the code it was not necessary to insert such macros after each instruction or even each C statement. I just had them in each If() statement, loop and in some important ISR's.
This worked quite nice. With just one logic analyzer channel I could correlate code with other events, and the LA catches a back log so you can examine what happened before you got into some bug.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf