Author Topic: Is ST Cube IDE a piece of buggy crap?  (Read 166315 times)

Online peter-hTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Doing electronics since the 1960s...
Re: Is ST Cube IDE a piece of buggy crap?
« Reply #1075 on: April 10, 2024, 12:51:34 pm »
I wonder if somebody out there has actually used that feature - other than in the simple scenario of reverting to the last version of GCC upon upgrading Cube.

Re bug fixes, one doesn't need to update the IDE or the tools at all.

STM fairly comprehensively broke Cube 1.15.0 anyway, so as well as GCC 12 breaking some stuff you have Cube breaking the debugger etc.
Z80 Z180 Z280 Z8 S8 8031 8051 H8/300 H8/500 80x86 90S1200 32F417

Offline mr ed

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1076 on: April 10, 2024, 09:59:57 pm »
Retired sw guy here. Yes, it's buggy. It was buggy 6 years ago when I last worked with it. It will always be buggy as it's chasing the latest flavor of stm cpu. It's part of marketing the stm hw chips.

The cube is a way to help get projects off and running fast, not bug free running. No project leader wants the team to struggle through 20 chapters or 2000 pages of hw register descriptions with a prototype pcb coming. STM knows this. We all should understand this too.

The cube will put down some code to initiate the cpu and get run of the mill code up fast. Run of the mill being some io, ethernet, irq's and setup some calls to your preferred os slicer etc. The idea of leavng the code as a base is horrible with so many bugs.

If you want a quality product, the cube generated code will have to be frozen, debugged, patched, whatever and never updated again. It will converge to a stable base after a while.

Online peter-hTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Doing electronics since the 1960s...
« Reply #1077 on: April 12, 2024, 11:32:13 am »
You are talking about Cube MX - the "code generator". I would never recommend using that other than to generate a code fragment for a particular peripheral and then see what it did and rewrite it in your own style etc (stripping off all irrelevant crap).

MX will do working code for stuff like SPI and such. The chances of getting MX to produce properly working code for complex stuff like ETH (with LWIP) or USB (VCP, MSC, etc) is basically zero. You need to google for fixes and apply them. One problem is that probably only 1% of the devs who fixed something go public with it; the rest are doing it commercially and don't want to help a potential competitor.

Cube IDE is the editor / compiler / "automatic makefile generator" package, which does work but has a few annoying features - see further back up this thread.
Z80 Z180 Z280 Z8 S8 8031 8051 H8/300 H8/500 80x86 90S1200 32F417

Online DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1078 on: April 12, 2024, 01:34:04 pm »
Just use LL, no magic behind the curtains, optimized and universal don't dance together.
No more ranting, full HW control, still mu h easier than sleeping with the RM.
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)
Stm32 Soldering FW      Forum      Github      Donate

Offline MathWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1079 on: April 12, 2024, 01:37:39 pm »
Today I had a real hard time trying to uninstall the latest STMCubeProgrammer. I installed it in a non-default place, IDK if that did it, but I had to go try and uninstall it by deleting it and the registries.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf