Author Topic: Novice question regarding extracting and flashing MSP430 firmware  (Read 3566 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline ollihdTopic starter

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 152
  • Country: fi
    • HeyDay Pro
Hi All,

I have a device with a MSP430F156 on it and I was able to extract the memory from it with a MSP-FET430UIF via FET-Pro430.
My question is: is the memory dump I got (saved as TI .txt and/or Intel .hex) a complete image of the memory? By this I mean, can I flash the device with the extracted dump (txt or hex) and nothing should go wrong? I really don't want to brick the device.

In FET-Pro430 Read Address Range was set to "All memory".


 

Offline planc

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • !
  • Posts: 149
  • Country: us
Re: Novice question regarding extracting and flashing MSP430 firmware
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2023, 03:04:43 am »

Fet-Pro430 only save the INFO and MAIN memory. It doesn't save the BSL and RAM. Some board have BSL that is writable unlike some located in ROM.

For that, I have to use MSP Flasher to load each of them and in Ti Txt and Intel Hex format for 8 files and with verify so it can compared the dump against the file saved. See Msp Flasher manual for the commands.

But even with the above. It is possible the chip is connected to an external EEPROM where some other information is stored, and could be erased if the chip is altered. Is this possible guys?



 

Offline ollihdTopic starter

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 152
  • Country: fi
    • HeyDay Pro
Re: Novice question regarding extracting and flashing MSP430 firmware
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2023, 04:57:38 pm »
Thanks for the reply.

I tried using MSP Flasher but I get the ERROR: "unknow device" every single time. I have tried swapping cables, self powering the unit, but nothing.
The command lines are pretty straight forward, it just won't connect to the device.
 

Offline planc

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • !
  • Posts: 149
  • Country: us
Re: Novice question regarding extracting and flashing MSP430 firmware
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2023, 06:35:15 pm »
MSP430Flasher.exe -n MSP430F2618 -r [main.hex,MAIN] -v main.hex

save it with INFO, BSL and even RAM too to complete.

above is a command that works for me everytime. It only shows unknown device error if the JTAG connection was wrong (Is the target self powered and did you connect its Vcc to the FET Vcc_Target (and Vcc_Tool unconnected)?  Also not connecting both FEt and Target to same  ground wire can produce the error).

If the format is correct and it won't run yet will run in FET-Pro430, then I am clueless.

Let others who know why help.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 06:37:10 pm by planc »
 

Offline phantom

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 35
  • Country: us
Re: Novice question regarding extracting and flashing MSP430 firmware
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2026, 07:28:07 am »
EDIT
« Last Edit: March 16, 2026, 04:23:01 pm by phantom »
 

Offline voltsandjolts

  • Supporter
  • ****
  • Posts: 3785
  • Country: gb
Re: Novice question regarding extracting and flashing MSP430 firmware
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2026, 08:09:46 am »
You asked the same question in this other thread.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/microcontrollers/(help)planned-obsolescence-msp430-fault/msg6213163/#msg6213163


Please do not double post.

 


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->