Author Topic: Bluetooth sound level settings  (Read 4919 times)

Offline SimonTopic starter

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
Bluetooth sound level settings
« on: February 17, 2021, 12:54:11 pm »
I have a set of bluetooth headphones. I find that the volume steps are too big. I try to listen to music on my phone on minimum setting but this is 7% and often too loud and no other intermediate volume control is available.

Are the number of levels up manufacturer configuration? I suspect this one has 16 levels (4 bits). Can I get gear with more and how can I tell other than price?

Offline EasyGoing1

• Regular Contributor
Re: Bluetooth sound level settings
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2021, 02:10:26 pm »
I have a set of bluetooth headphones. I find that the volume steps are too big. I try to listen to music on my phone on minimum setting but this is 7% and often too loud and no other intermediate volume control is available.

Are the number of levels up manufacturer configuration? I suspect this one has 16 levels (4 bits). Can I get gear with more and how can I tell other than price?

There are USUALLY up tp three different places from which to control volume.

1) Your headphones
2) The operating system of the device driving your headphones
3) The software playing the audio on the operating system driving your headphones.

If you cannot find remedy between those three, you're pretty much out of options.

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2021, 06:01:11 pm »
Yes in the case of a computer it's less of an issue as there are 2 (not 3) controls. On a computer the headphone volume is the system volume, here in lies the problem as the steps are too large. So I can turn the applications volume down as well to get more control. But on the phone there is only system volume. Youtube on android does not have a volume control like it does on windows, it's the headset/system/media volume only.

I suppose I could pull them open and put resistors in series with the drivers to bring the overall volume down.

Offline EasyGoing1

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2021, 01:14:13 pm »
Yes in the case of a computer it's less of an issue as there are 2 (not 3) controls. On a computer the headphone volume is the system volume, here in lies the problem as the steps are too large. So I can turn the applications volume down as well to get more control. But on the phone there is only system volume. Youtube on android does not have a volume control like it does on windows, it's the headset/system/media volume only.

I suppose I could pull them open and put resistors in series with the drivers to bring the overall volume down.

Well still, even with a PC, you have the headphone volume, the system volume and if you're listening to something like Spotify, then you have that volume as well. On my laptop I run another layer in there so that I can have a 32 band EQ for my music. I cant handle music that isn't EQd a certain way.

If you did the resistor thing, you wouldn't need very large resistors. probably less than 20 ohms I would think. Or just get yourself some different Bluetooth headphones. Never before in history have we had so many options for so little money with sound quality that is tolerable.

Amazon is your buddy!  :-)

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2021, 04:48:59 pm »
there is no headphone volume, it is the same as the system. It's not like with speakers that have an amplifier with it's own volume knob. With bluetooth the whole analogue bit is bypassed and it's just digital straight to the headset.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2021, 05:41:40 pm »
The same problem is with microphone volume, only being too weak. A Dell laptop. The system setting is fully on but the audio is ridiculously low.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2021, 05:51:26 pm »
well if the microphone is not picking much up full volume won't get you more than the microphone can give.

Offline DrG

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2021, 06:34:03 pm »
there is no headphone volume, it is the same as the system. It's not like with speakers that have an amplifier with it's own volume knob. With bluetooth the whole analogue bit is bypassed and it's just digital straight to the headset.

Do you have an Android or iphone?

On an Android, you should be able to go into developer options and disable absolute volume. On an iPhone you can reduce the sound by throwing it in the trash.
- Invest in science - it pays big dividends. -

The following users thanked this post: blueskull, I wanted a rude username

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2021, 08:40:34 pm »

On an Android, you should be able to go into developer options and disable absolute volume. On an iPhone you can reduce the sound by throwing it in the trash.

Happily i have the type that does not need throwing in the trash :) I'll see if i can find it.

Offline EasyGoing1

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2021, 12:38:20 pm »
On an iPhone you can reduce the sound by throwing it in the trash.

That's funny ... considering they own 40% market share where they are one company against HUNDREDS of others who each own a share of the smart-phone market.

The only Android phone that I would consider comparable to Apple in terms of hardware engineering standards would be Samsung. But the Android operating system is absolute shit! Any 9 year old child can hack into an Android ... the same cannot be said about an iPhone, where even Apple themselves cannot hack into their own product once the user has enabled the security features.. And the user interface of the Android operating system ... it reminds me of the Windows 3.1 days. klunky, not intuitive AT ALL, and it makes the biggest mistake that most generic operating systems make and that is aspiring to meet the needs of everyone which means they include as much as they can and that only ends up cluttering up the whole experience making it FEEL generic all around ... it is completely WORTHLESS!

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2021, 01:52:11 pm »
Apple can get into the phone if they really want to. They made a massive publicity stunt out of refusing to help the American government get into the phone of a dead suicide terrorist. Another company apparently got into it for them.

This was not really meant to be a apple versus android thread but given the incredible prices of apple phones plenty can't afford them while others fall victim to the aggressive marketing of the next model that actually does not have much on the current one other than being the latest. Phones are now like computers, performance and actual technical features have peaked so the only way to force the user to buy more is to lock the battery away so that for most people a dead battery means a dead phone or make the damn things out of glass so that they are more likely to be expensively damaged. My samsung S4 looks lovely, but the only time I take it out of it's ugly rubber cover is to put it on charge.

I have a wireless charging cradle in my car that has motorised arms that open when the phone is placed in front and then closes when the phone is inside, it's great, but with a glass phone light travels down the case to the light sensor in the craddle and it things the phone is being removed so it opens and dumps the phone at my feet. So as always the ugly rubber cover has to stay on so that the craddle does not get fooled. Other than the fact that it looks nice a solid glass body was the most stupid thing anyone ever came up with

Offline DrG

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2021, 05:46:38 pm »
On an iPhone you can reduce the sound by throwing it in the trash.

That's funny ... considering they own 40% market share where they are one company against HUNDREDS of others who each own a share of the smart-phone market.

The only Android phone that I would consider comparable to Apple in terms of hardware engineering standards would be Samsung. But the Android operating system is absolute shit! Any 9 year old child can hack into an Android ... the same cannot be said about an iPhone, where even Apple themselves cannot hack into their own product once the user has enabled the security features.. And the user interface of the Android operating system ... it reminds me of the Windows 3.1 days. klunky, not intuitive AT ALL, and it makes the biggest mistake that most generic operating systems make and that is aspiring to meet the needs of everyone which means they include as much as they can and that only ends up cluttering up the whole experience making it FEEL generic all around ... it is completely WORTHLESS!

EG, mah man...I just finished reading a handful of your posts....IMO they are neurotically hostile, over-reactive to throw away lines, completely lacking in humor and mildly disturbing....Apple is heaven, Microsoft is the devil, Commodore-64 retro enthusiasts are fools...this is what the internet was and was not... and so on and so forth and, of course, you call yourself "easy going".

Take it easy, relax, calm down, take some time to smell the pasta. But, look, if you are hell bent on pissing off as many people as possible in your first 30 posts, who am I to take the fun out of dysfunction. Toward that end, I offer a picture of another satisfied iPhone customer.

Offline DrG

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2021, 05:49:03 pm »

I'll see if i can find it.

Not to be presumptive, but if you have never gone into developer mode....https://www.howtogeek.com/129728/how-to-access-the-developer-options-menu-and-enable-usb-debugging-on-android-4.2/  I do hope you will let us know if it had any effect on the volume problem.

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2021, 06:03:24 pm »
The developer ode does not exist for me.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2021, 06:22:40 pm »
well if the microphone is not picking much up full volume won't get you more than the microphone can give.

I am not supposed to speak 3-5cm from a laptop microphone built in to the screen bezel, am i ?
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2021, 06:46:01 pm »

I am not supposed to speak 3-5cm from a laptop microphone built in to the screen bezel, am i ?

Well if it's a crap microphone. If it's a built-in laptop one it hardly has anything to do with bluetooth.

Offline EasyGoing1

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2021, 03:02:43 am »
EG, mah man...I just finished reading a handful of your posts....IMO they are neurotically hostile, over-reactive to throw away lines, completely lacking in humor and mildly disturbing....Apple is heaven, Microsoft is the devil, Commodore-64 retro enthusiasts are fools...this is what the internet was and was not... and so on and so forth and, of course, you call yourself "easy going".

You're putting words in my mouth. I never said that Commodore 64 enthuiasist were fools, I merely asked the question, "what is so appealing about the C=64 that it has seemed to have developed a cult following" - I never begrudge people of what makes them happy ... why would I? Why would anyone? Live and let live that's my motto. And I did get some answers to my question that made perfect sense to me and so I now understand the appeal in it for different reasons. So it was a worthy thread to start.

Also, I do apologize for the apparent lack of proper emoticons in my "rants" ... I often get accused of sounding combative in such posts because I use very pointed words and I am very direct when I'm arguing with people who pontificate ignorance because I find that method to be particularly helpful and QUICK at bringing finality to the issue.

But I actually am NOT being hostile even though my words might read that way. I am an easy-going person ... but I also have a strong dislike for misinformation and prefer to nip it in the bud when I see it - if I have the time etc, and using pointed language is effective to that end.

My personal philosophy on the matter is that people should use the technology that they enjoy using. If that's Android then have at it!  If it's iPhone, then by all means ... if its a flip phone that makes you smile when you make and receive phone calls, then by golly get the best damn flip phone that money can by and be a happy person!

And I say that in all sincerity being 100% genuine about it. Placing judgments on the technology that other people use like is extremely juvenile to begin with ... so when the kiddies are out not only behaving in a juvenile way, but also making false statements? Welll someone has to set them straight so that they stop doing that.

Take it easy, relax, calm down, take some time to smell the pasta. But, look, if you are hell-bent on pissing off as many people as possible in your first 30 posts, who am I to take the fun out of dysfunction. Toward that end, I offer a picture of another satisfied iPhone customer.

My heart rate is always at rest when interacting with these forums ... know that!  ☺

This kind of looks legit ... and LOL! some perversions have unexpected consequences that make people an example for those who follow in their footsteps ... lol
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 03:04:50 am by EasyGoing1 »

Offline EasyGoing1

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2021, 03:30:26 am »
This was not really meant to be a apple versus android thread but given the incredible prices of apple phones plenty can't afford them while others fall victim to the aggressive marketing of the next model that actually does not have much on the current one other than being the latest. Phones are now like computers, performance and actual technical features have peaked so the only way to force the user to buy more is to lock the battery away so that for most people a dead battery means a dead phone or make the damn things out of glass so that they are more likely to be expensively damaged. My samsung S4 looks lovely, but the only time I take it out of it's ugly rubber cover is to put it on charge.

It wasn't you who made the idiot comment, it was DrG who initially said it.

And YES, iPhones ARE EXPENSIVE and so are Samsung Galaxy's.

For the last 10 years or so, I made it a personal policy to never again purchase a brand new iPhone. So I upgrade usually every two years and I always buy a used iPhone that is either two or three years behind the date that I'm upgrading in. This keeps the cost much more reasonable, and I don't need bleeding-edge technology in the first place ... I just want a phone that works, that is secure and one that has my back if I ever lose my phone.

Backing my iPhone up to iCloud has proven to be 100% bulletproof. I haven't lost a text message since Apple created iCloud and made it a native function of the iPhone ... and backing up to iCloud is turned on by default so that those users who don't even realize that they should be backing up their phone ... if they have an iCloud account and they logged into it when they set their phone up, then they're backups are already happening. That doesn't happen with Android ... the user has to specifically turn that feature on before it starts working ... I can't count how many times an Android user come to me for help over the years, some in tears because of the data they lost due to that cloud backup not being enabled. That's just one of the "little things" that Apple thinks about in their product development. They are absolutely all about their user experience and that core value can be seen in the deepest minutia in their products and I completely respect that about them and I have seen no other company on this planet or any other that does what they say they are going to do and who also invests so many resources into designing the best end user experience possible. With one exception ... there is a relatively new consumer electronics manufacture/designer here in the states that is called the Wyze corporation. have a look at their products I own a few of them and their engineering standards are very "Apple-esque" but what floors me is how inexpensive their devices are.

Check em out: wyze.com

I have a wireless charging cradle in my car that has motorised arms that open when the phone is placed in front and then closes when the phone is inside, it's great, but with a glass phone light travels down the case to the light sensor in the craddle and it things the phone is being removed so it opens and dumps the phone at my feet. So as always the ugly rubber cover has to stay on so that the craddle does not get fooled. Other than the fact that it looks nice a solid glass body was the most stupid thing anyone ever came up with

I COMPLETELY AGREE! And I have always wondered why some kind of polymer material has not been developed yet to replace the glass on these devices. With Apples deep pockets, you know they invest heavily into that R&D so if such a material could actually be created today, I have to believe that it would be here already ... but there must be something in the physics of polymer and plastic chemistry that makes the ability to have the touch screen experience that we're use to ... remain as is while offering the added benefit of never shattering when impacted by an object.

I hold out hope that such material will eventually be developed ... and I kinda put my bet on 3M for being the one who will discover it if it's possible. They have a long history of developing new, very useful materials and they are very good at it.

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2021, 07:52:43 am »
OK can we calm down now. This is getting silly.

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2021, 08:06:13 am »

I COMPLETELY AGREE! And I have always wondered why some kind of polymer material has not been developed yet to replace the glass on these devices. With Apples deep pockets, you know they invest heavily into that R&D so if such a material could actually be created today, I have to believe that it would be here already ... but there must be something in the physics of polymer and plastic chemistry that makes the ability to have the touch screen experience that we're use to ... remain as is while offering the added benefit of never shattering when impacted by an object.

I hold out hope that such material will eventually be developed ... and I kinda put my bet on 3M for being the one who will discover it if it's possible. They have a long history of developing new, very useful materials and they are very good at it.

I was happy with what phones looked like before they turned them into glass. Yes the screen will always be vulnerable but to encase the whole thing in glass is stupid. I learnt the hard way, I bought a Huawei for £200 which was a bargain. This was solid glass, I thought I had slipped it into my pocket but in fact missed so just let go and it dropped to the floor and was cracked all over. I guessed that it was not worth going for a repair and bought the S8 which looks identical as it's also solid glass. As soon as i bought the S4 (£400) I got a rubber cover that it snaps into so that the back and sides are protected and it stays on at all times. What is also annoying is how the screen now goes right up to the edge that is rounded, sure aesthetically it's wonderful, but in practice terrifying that such an expensive device that is supposed to go everywhere with me is so fragile. So looks great but is totally impractical and now looks crap with it's rubber cover but that is the only way. And yes because the back being glass on the outside with a black coat inside and then the black back of my car charging cradle this acts like a light pipe when sun hits the side and transfers the light to the sensor in the cradle that is looking at the back. At first I blamed the cradle for being unstable but soon realized what was happening but most would not have worked it out. I prefer to take the cover off when wireless charging as the phone gets warm from charging and i have one of those covid-19 research apps installed that will work in the background when on charge so that warms it up. I might disable fast wireless charge which I noticed as an option yesterday when I was looking for the developer settings. Hopefully that will help the battery last longer. I never need to charge in a hurry as it just sits in the cradle all night, so long as it can keep up with the phone being used as a sat nav in the car.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 08:10:44 am by Simon »

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2021, 08:13:09 am »

Settings->About Phone->Version Number, tap on this a few times.

If I do that some pattern comes up on the screen that gradually changes. I guess I just leave it to do it's thing? is it some sort of deterrent to people who should not be going in there?

Offline DrG

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2021, 06:01:11 pm »

Settings->About Phone->Version Number, tap on this a few times.

If I do that some pattern comes up on the screen that gradually changes. I guess I just leave it to do it's thing? is it some sort of deterrent to people who should not be going in there?

What exactly are you talking about?

From the link I previously posted https://www.howtogeek.com/129728/how-to-access-the-developer-options-menu-and-enable-usb-debugging-on-android-4.2/

Tap the Build number field seven times to enable Developer Options. Tap a few times and you’ll see a toast notification with a countdown that reads “You are now X steps way from being a developer.”

Now, go back to setup options and look for developer options which NOW shows up as an entry. When you  select developer options, you may get a warning (press ok)...is that the point at which you see patterns?

Find Disable Absolute Volume and turn it off.

(deleted my meds comment eh? Good - thanks - now I have a reason to not engage in what will obviously end poorly)

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2021, 07:46:55 pm »
Thanks. Yes I've tried to calm it down a bit. You do go off quite easily.

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2021, 07:58:04 pm »
Sorry, Simon, but I kinda have to.

But the Android operating system is absolute shit! Any 9 year old child can hack into an Android ... the same cannot be said about an iPhone, where even Apple themselves cannot hack into their own product once the user has enabled the security features..

You follow this.. interesting.. statement with:

if they have an iCloud account and they logged into it when they set their phone up, then they're backups are already happening

Said iCloud backups are effectively plaintext on the Apple end, as they have the keys.

Perhaps hold less strong opinions when you lack knowledge of the subject matter. Oh, by the way, the global market share of iOS devices is under 30%. Well under.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 08:00:53 pm by Monkeh »

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2021, 11:48:01 pm »
If you don't mind voiding the warranty on the headphones, you can open them up and add resistors in series with the transducers to lower the volume so that something like 75% would be just right. That will also lower the noise floor if you have really cheap ones that do poorly in that respect.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf