Author Topic: My apologies...  (Read 1074 times)

Online eTobeyTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
My apologies...
« on: April 15, 2024, 08:20:33 am »
I was always wondering, why people would think that i dont know what i am doing in this topic: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/sds800x-hd-bugswanted-features/msg5412071/#msg5412071
Now i really took the time, to analyse posts of mine and others, and to self-reflect.

I found the following points for that:

What i think i did not do well here:
- I made some mistakes in describing problems.
- Confuse others with describing two closely related, but different things at the same time.
- I got impatient when others did not understand. (It is especially frustrating to get told basic things, that you already knew)
- Writing a bit "spicy" for others taste, when getting frustrated.
- Acknowledge that i was in the wrong, or when things just would not work the way as i would like to.

Also there are factors that contributed to a difficult conversation that i evaluated (does apply to other people too):
- Not asking the right questions when things are confusing or not understood. Instead interpret things wrong.
- Adding to much chatter, that does not actually help the conversation or is not really relevant to the topic. PM would be the right tool.
- Taking on prejudice that others have created. This is especially tragic (can not think of a better word for this) if it was created by someone that is much respected, and thus not be questioned.
- Using wrong terms. This is a major one i think, and should always questioned first, if things dont seem to add up.
- Not handling quotes very well: not removing stuff that is not relevant, not using them at all.

I never wanted to be rude or obnoxious, but growing frustration made it really difficult for me.
I hereby apolgize, and i really do hope that you accept my apologies. You may want to try to see it from my perspective in combination with that impatience i naturally have.

As i will try to change my behaviour, to get along better. I also kindly ask others to self-reflect and/or reevaluate their thinking about others from time to time.  :-+

Since i think that this topic could help all of us, i like to encourage others to post more suggestions that could help this "community to communicate without confusion or contempt".

"Sometimes, after talking with a person, you want to pet a dog, wave at a monkey, and take off your hat to an elephant." (Maxim Gorki)

The following users thanked this post: rf-loop, ebastler, 2N3055, xvr

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
Re: My apologies...
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2024, 08:32:12 am »
This is very mature of you.  :-+
It is in everybody's interest that we all play nice and get along.

But please get rid of that signature.
Meaning of signature in this context is to say something about yourself.
Some motto of yours or something.

Thank you!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2024, 09:11:56 am by 2N3055 »

Offline electronics hobbyist

• Regular Contributor
    • sds800x-hd-review-demonstration-thread
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2024, 09:03:31 am »
You are a very proactive and meticulous person, willing to spend your time providing good ideas for products.
We are seeking common ground while reserving differences and learning from each other.  :-+

We objectively describe the problem, which can be more peaceful.
Recently, due to physical discomfort, I have gained a profound understanding that enjoying life is more important, and technology only makes life more colorful.  :popcorn:

Offline core

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2024, 01:30:50 pm »
Here we are enthusiasts with different backgrounds, some are professionals, others just hobbyists.
Different cultures, different countries, different ways of seeing and describing problems. Most of us probably don't speak native English.

I see the beauty in this diversity, to be able to understand each other even in these conditions. We just need to be a bit more tolerant, more accommodating.

In the end we have the same passions and we share knowledge voluntarily, with or without mistakes.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2024, 02:13:55 pm by core »

The following users thanked this post: Exosia, xvr

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2024, 07:23:31 pm »
someone that is much respected, and thus not be questioned
In my opinion, a person not willing to question themselves –– the basis of their opinions in particular ––, is not worth any respect.
Nor is anyone avoiding or refusing to admit their own errors.

Reflecting on ones own errors is quite important, and makes learning new things possible.  In a publicly accessible forum, it is doubly important, because otherwise later readers might be mislead by the error, and waste a lot of time and effort on the incorrect/wasteful solution path.  We stand on the shoulders of giants, but if we decide to wear slick shoulderpads to deflect others from noticing our errors instead of correcting them, we may cause others later to slip from our shoulders.  Thus, ignoring and refusing to admit ones own errors when given/understood as advice in public, is basically evil.

I also kindly ask others to self-reflect and/or reevaluate their thinking about others from time to time.
A point I've made a few times here is that we do not know each other, only the output.  Every piece of criticism is based on the output, and not the person.  The key difference is that one can adjust their output, and try to remember we do not perceive the other person at all directly, only their output –– which means the perception is likely faulty/wrong, and even at best, only partial.

If you do a search on my posts, you'll find "me fail English" alongside an apology quite often, especially when I've misunderstood (subtext or emotional content) or miscommunicated (conveyed subtext or meaning I did not intend to).  (It's a Simpsons reference: "Me fail English? Unpossible!", with the intent of bringing self-deprecating humor and thus light up the discussion a bit.)

If it matters any, I started a thread, Why writing style and grammar matters in the Beginners forum (a sticky for now), for related issues: not so much interpersonal, but more on the technical reasons on why carefully expressing oneself is important; written from the perspective of someone who has trouble communicating occasionally themselves.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf