Author Topic: Open Hardware Specification Documentation  (Read 2041 times)

Offline Twistx77Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Open Hardware Specification Documentation
« on: February 29, 2020, 06:07:20 pm »
Hi,

I was wondering if someone knows about a open Hardware / Software Requirements Specifications document template.

I want to make an open hardware device and I would like to have a clear set of requirements that can be shared so people can see some of my design choices and also specifications without having to go too deep into the design.

I don't know if this exists, I could not find anything like that.

Also if someone have any templates that could be use to make one, let me know I might just one make one myself and put it in github so people can grab it if needed.

My idea is to have a sort of "standard" template for hardware/software specification document for open projects.

Thank you :)

Offline awallin

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Open Hardware Specification Documentation
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2020, 06:49:52 pm »
I can't understand what document you are looking for here with a 'requirements / specifications' ?? ???

a datasheet? sure an open hardware datasheet template (in your favorite markup language) could be a good idea to put on github.

Offline Twistx77Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2020, 07:47:09 pm »
Hi,

Sorry for no explaining my self clearly. I am talking about something like this: https://itea3.org/project/workpackage/document/download/4842/D1.2.1.%20INSIST%20-%20System%20Requirements%20Specification.pdf

It is pretty common at least in the industries I have worked on to have such a document where is detailed basically the specs of the device to be developed that has to be signed by the client. All the specs in that document need to be testable somehow and then, the device has to be tested to make sure it fulfills all the requirements. This is part of quality control processes and is something that is a must in many industries where devices need to comply with regulations.

Offline awallin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2020, 09:03:20 am »
I think only big players like CERN and similar do open hardware with that amount of rigorous systems-engineering approach...
even a short datasheet/manual/test-report is more than most OSHW projects usually have in the repo - I've been trying that for some of my designs...

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2020, 12:53:07 pm »
Hi,
I was wondering if someone knows about a open Hardware / Software Requirements Specifications document template.
Just use a generic project template. Open hardware / software shouldn't be any different. Just start by outlining the requirements, make a block-schematic of the hardware and software which define the various hardware elements & software layers. From there you start with specific chapters about the implementation (flow-charts). In principle a software design document should have an information flow diagram and a state diagram; a cross-check between these two eliminates a lot of potential design flaws on the drawing table.

What is most important in any design document is to have block diagrams and flow charts. These don't become clear from the source code itself.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline wizard69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2020, 02:04:23 am »
Generally open hardware gets used two ways.   One is as the designer expected and the other as a component that the original designer might not even understand.    In the second case a spec document doesn't make sense.    In the first case most of the open projects are so thinly staffed that such a document doesn't even exist.   Often the project has had a long development period morphing significantly since it first inception.

So while it is good to be thinking this way, especially for a project with wide support, it isn't common in the open hardware world.   You might try looking at what RISC-V has in this regard as that is one of the bigger "open" projects at the moment.

Hi,

Sorry for no explaining my self clearly. I am talking about something like this: https://itea3.org/project/workpackage/document/download/4842/D1.2.1.%20INSIST%20-%20System%20Requirements%20Specification.pdf

It is pretty common at least in the industries I have worked on to have such a document where is detailed basically the specs of the device to be developed that has to be signed by the client. All the specs in that document need to be testable somehow and then, the device has to be tested to make sure it fulfills all the requirements. This is part of quality control processes and is something that is a must in many industries where devices need to comply with regulations.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf