I've used asm in production code in a stock exchange, but not in a GUI. String parsing/message tokenizers etc. Literally billions of dollars a day when through it for years.
I'm not sure anyone writes for Win32 anymore. It's a few generations old. I suppose it's replacement could be called a framework ".Net" and there are been a few rewrites of that. It's now mostly open source and cross platform.
In the university project I mentioned, I believe the "Engine" component as we called the backend then, was about 150 lines of C++ (A coin change machine, IIRC). The GUI was created with Borland C++ Builder. The actual generated files were about 1000 lines. Remembering that the GUI was required to comply with full GUI conventions. Proper layouts. Proper anchors, flow where possible, tab order, tooltips, labels, textbox constraints, validation event handlers, a working close button, a working menu, etc. In comparison when the CLI had it's own interface it was just a static text menu with options 1, 2, 3, (Q)uit
Borland C++ was a Win32 era IDE IIRC.
That's sort of what I was trying to explain about how "systems" are developed these days. There are some significant differences to that era today. We can debate the pros and cons of the lot of it too. In that era you basically started with nothing. Win32 was a pretty lightweight API. So for application development, you basically started fresh each time. So 'everything' was in your design. About the only things you got "off the shelf" where databases and operating systems.
Staying in commcerial, non-embedded, mostly business systems where certainly the money is and where most large systems are built/run.
If you needed a 'workflow' to feed data, you needed to design your own queues, state machines, event loops. If you needed a web server you had to make it from TCPSocket primitives yourself. In fact, back then, why bother, just open a raw TCP connection and send bespoke binary, right? Networks are slow, memory and disk are expensive still. There is no "Internet" in common use. It's all on you. With the paper manuals and O'Rielly's books.
Today very little starts from nothing. Your chances of finding software work starting from a "non-software" system are extremely rare. O'Rielys books still exist, but a lot of them go out of date so fast you might as well set them on fire when they arrive in the post.
So when I see "Looks like a queue, smells like a message bus", I see Kafka or JMX, if AWS deployed SQS. When I "Smell database" I need to ask, "What type?", DocumentDB? NoSQL DB? Transactional DB? Fully RDBMS? etc. For each I can lift one off the shelf depending on budget even a full Oracle cluster. It could even be a big data warehouse like Databricks, Hadoop, et.al.
Those systems you lift off the shelf tend to be opinionated. They tend to come with a "This is best practices, that's why it's the default way and convention." attitude and your response is either, "Fine, we will bend", or "We will fight you and waste our time." The good news is, this has led to quite a lot of "harmony". There are very high advantages to people doing things in similar ways with similar conventions. "Standardisation" the big one. Cross platform compat etc.
So once you have picked your infra and tooled up your software layer to integrate with it all, the actual business logic work is pushed into smaller isolated units "hanging off the grand achitecture".
Remember the vast majority of the industry do not use any form of linear methodology like "Water fall". They are mostly some form of rapid iterative cycle with "Working software" the PRIMARY goal. Documentation comes about 3rd. Again not ALL areas can work like that, but I think developer for developer out there its the most common flow.
On the question, "Where did you get 'workflow' from? How did you see that? Where did the 10,000ft business process view come from, how did you design that?"
We didn't. It already existed. The task was not to "create the digital business process", it was "heres what we already have, heres why we don't like it, here is what are current vision for it is.", fast forward 2 years... "Here's £2mil"