Author Topic: 74LVC "additional supply current per pin"?  (Read 316 times)

Offline ebastlerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
74LVC "additional supply current per pin"?
« on: May 14, 2024, 01:31:34 pm »
In a 74LVC series datasheet, the "static characteristics" on page 5 state the expected low quiescent current of 0.1 µA typical, 4 µA max. But they also specify an "additional supply current" of 5 µA typical, 500 µA max. per pin (!):
https://assets.nexperia.com/documents/data-sheet/74LVC1G04.pdf

I can't find a similar additional current specified in some other modern CMOS families, e.g. here for a MC74VHC gate, see page 4:
https://www.onsemi.com/pdf/datasheet/mc74vhc1g04-d.pdf

Is that LVC additional current real? Is it indeed a static current that the IC draws, as implied by its inclusion in the "static characteristics" section, or am I misunderstanding something?

« Last Edit: May 14, 2024, 01:34:34 pm by ebastler »

Offline ArdWar

• Frequent Contributor
Re: 74LVC "additional supply current per pin"?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2024, 01:58:31 pm »
Uh, not really. That is what I call "transition current", the current drawn by input structure when a input pin is not at full HI or LO state.

It is technically static, as it is not strictly switching characteristic. It's just happen that the specific static condition usually happens during switching.

The following users thanked this post: ebastler

Offline Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2024, 02:03:14 pm »
That extra current can be an issue when using the chips for logic level conversions (e.g. 3.3 V signal to 5 V chip or some 2.3 V signal for a 3.3 V supply). It is not just a thing with 74LVC, but most of the CMOS logic, even the 74HCT... , that is kind of made to also work with a smaller input signal.

The following users thanked this post: ebastler

Offline ebastlerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2024, 02:31:54 pm »
Aha, thank you both! The additional current is specified for inputs at Vcc-0.6V, but I assume that it applies for any input voltage which is not (pretty) exactly Vcc or 0V? Is it essentially getting worse the farther the input is away from Vcc or 0V?

Offline langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2024, 02:59:34 pm »
Aha, thank you both! The additional current is specified for inputs at Vcc-0.6V, but I assume that it applies for any input voltage which is not (pretty) exactly Vcc or 0V? Is it essentially getting worse the farther the input is away from Vcc or 0V?

some datasheets have graphs like: fig8/9,  https://assets.nexperia.com/documents/data-sheet/74HC_HCT14.pdf

The following users thanked this post: ebastler, PCB.Wiz

Offline ArdWar

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2024, 03:18:51 pm »
If you're lucky the datasheet may contain a chart on how the input structure behave.
This one shows how HCS family behave. It has Schmitt input, my favorite part to deal with signal of questionable quality.
2204686-0

Unfortunately most datasheets don't include any info at all. So yeah, good luck decoding all those fancy letters and familiarizing with how each family behave. For example "T" devices (as in TTL compatible one) usually have more leeway on the high input signal before it gest ugly.
2204692-1

The following users thanked this post: ebastler, PCB.Wiz

Offline Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2024, 04:15:12 pm »
The graphs are often found for schmidt rigger inputs, because these are also for not so clean signals, like slow rising. Normal logic input can be a bit similar, but usually without the hysteresis.
There is usually no extra current when there is a clean logic signal, like < 25% and > 75% of the supply. How much current and from what voltage level it starts seem to vary between units. Thus the rather large difference between the typical and maximum numbers. The logic chips are usually cheap and thus not tested very well for parameters that most of the time don't matter. If critical in some applications (e.g. use for level shifting in a power sensitive application) it can make sense to check the parts (or at least some from the same batch) upfront.

It is interesting to see the curve for AHCT14 to be really shifted to lower voltages.

The following users thanked this post: Someone

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf