Author Topic: 8-Pole DIN Plugs - Take Care  (Read 1532 times)

Offline German_EETopic starter

• Super Contributor
8-Pole DIN Plugs - Take Care
« on: December 25, 2019, 07:18:58 pm »
If you have an appliance or a piece of test equipment that uses an eight-pin DIN socket then please take care before you order a plug to fit it. There are TWO types of eight-pin DIN with slightly different pin dimensions and they are not interchangeable

The following diagram may help:

https://shop.technofix.uk/image/cache/catalog/product-pics/8-pin-din-compared-wm-900x800.jpg

Now you can learn from my mistake, and if anyone wants 3 x 270 degree 8-pin plugs then let me know by PM and I'll put them in the mail to you.
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

The following users thanked this post: obiwanjacobi

Offline i_am_fubar

• Regular Contributor
Re: 8-Pole DIN Plugs - Take Care
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2019, 04:41:03 pm »
Haha, yeaaaa. Got stung by that before. RS was not helpful with their 'people who bought this also bought these' help.

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2019, 05:34:27 pm »
Same thing with 5 poles. Those used on Hakko clone stations are not standard DIN even though they look similar. They are available as "5 pin microphone connectors".

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2019, 06:49:07 pm »
 :wtf: Had no idea!

Good to know!

Offline Alti

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2022, 11:07:49 am »
Old topic, new finding.
I would also like to add that Hakko T12 soldering stations (FX-950/FX-951/FX-203) use 270 degree DIN 8-pin versions. The Aliexpress handle Hakko clones for T12 tips, like FX-9501 handle with 8-pin connector, are NOT compatible, even though look similar. The problem is the center pin which on clones is located in between 9:00 and 3:00 pins. You can clearly see that on proper DIN connector 8-pin version a center pin is not at the very center of the shield.

The solution is to either buy a proper 7-pin DIN connector or to cut out the center pin (for these handles a center pin is NC). Otherwise the connector is going to be misaligned and won't mate reliably.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 11:12:56 am by Alti »

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2022, 01:30:01 pm »
If you have an appliance or a piece of test equipment that uses an eight-pin DIN socket then please take care before you order a plug to fit it. There are TWO types of eight-pin DIN with slightly different pin dimensions and they are not interchangeable

There are at least three styles of 3-pin, and at least two styles of 4, 7, and 8-pin DIN connectors.

The dimensions of the pins are the same. It’s the positions of the pins that differs.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf