Author Topic: AR488 Arduino-based GPIB adapter  (Read 238126 times)

Offline Tj138waterboy

• Regular Contributor
Re: AR488 Arduino-based GPIB adapter
« Reply #600 on: January 11, 2021, 08:00:38 pm »
I'll vouch for lmesters free program for ease of use and just 2 clicks to save the cal ram data. Be aware it takes a few minutes for it to read all of it. There is also a forum member/youtuber name NFM that has video of the process  and list of all replaceable caps https://www.digikey.com/short/zndr39
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 08:07:41 pm by Tj138waterboy »

Offline WaveyDipoleTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #601 on: January 12, 2021, 12:39:56 pm »
From the arduino monitor I could not send commands, (AR488 and Arduino UNO), not even sending ++ ver I had an answer with the version string, I installed YAT and with the exception of the first send, then everything works, 3478A and 34401A.

Thank you for your comment but could I ask for some further information? Although these are basic questions, please could I ask, which operating system are you using (Windows, Mac, Linux), which Arduino IDE version? Also was the correct port was selected in the Arduino IDE and the correct baud rate (default is 115200)? If both of the latter are true, then there should be no reason why the interface should not respond in Serial Monitor. I also assume that the project compiled and uploaded to your UNO board successfully? Finally, what changes, if any, have been made to AR488_Config.h?

Can I also ask, what is YAT? A Google search has failed to find anything helpful.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 12:44:58 pm by WaveyDipole »

Offline hnjmkl

• Regular Contributor
Re: Adattatore GPIB basato su AR488 Arduino
« Reply #602 on: January 13, 2021, 08:21:16 pm »
I'll be back after several days, YAT is a serial terminal downloadable from the network, I use WIN10, baud 115200, version 0.48.28, 01/07/2020, no changes to AR488_Config.h    ELEGO1 K3 board

Offline DefinitelyNotLarryEllison

• Contributor
« Reply #603 on: January 13, 2021, 10:26:30 pm »
Pretty sure "YAT" is referring to this: https://sourceforge.net/projects/y-a-terminal/

Offline maxwell3e10

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #604 on: January 16, 2021, 12:05:33 pm »
Look ma - no wires!  I've been working for a while on making a wireless self-powered GPIB adapter using Bluetooth and finally it (almost) works. The idea is to draw power from GPIB lines using diodes. It took a few iterations but now I have a working setup. The only thing that remains is to switch from regular Bluetooth (HC-05) to BLE, this would make it into a practical device. I could use some help since I am not very familiar with BLE.

The starting point is AR488 for Atmega328P with Bluetooth, a version of code posted some time ago. I switched the board to 3.3V, 8 MHz Arduino Pro Mini to get less power and less voltage required. It also eliminates the need for level shifters to talk to HC-05. The lower TTL levels work just fine with GPIB.

Next, one needs a step-up converter to 3.3 V, because the power that can be extracted from GPIB lines is at a voltage between 1.7 and 2.5 V. After trying a couple, I found Pololu model 2114  ($5), which has high efficiency for relatively small 10-50 mA output current. The amount of current that can be extracted from GPIB lines is about 10 mA, so one needs a super capacitor to store energy for Bluetooth communication, which takes  about 20 mA when active. I am using a 3.5F 5.5V supercap (ESR=0.1 Ohm, $4 from Digi-key). Finally one needs 16 Schottky diodes to connect all GPIB lines to the supercap. I am using 1N5817 ($2 from Ebay for a bunch). The supercap is on the input side of the Pololu boost converter, the output is powering Arduino and HC-05, bypassing their voltage regulators.

The next step is to modify WaveyDipole's code to make all Arduino lines go high impedance in the idle GPIB state when there is no communication. It may not exactly meet the GPIB protocol specifications, but seems to work fine. This way when (most of the time) GPIB bus is idle, one can extract power from the instrument GPIB lines.

Finally, one can use low-power libraries for Arduino to reduce power further. LowPower.idle command with everything turned off except USART reduces its power consumption from 4 mA to less than 1 mA without much effect on the code (except auto=3 command doesn't seem to work).  For HC-05 module the low-power commands are not well documented or may not work. The only one that I found which helps is AT+IPSCAN=1024,1,1024,1, it reduced the current when Bluetooth is not paired to about 4 mA. So by opening and closing the serial port one can control the power. But this is very inefficient and slow compared with what BLE is supposed to do.

The plot below shows the voltage on the supercapacitor as I open and close the serial port. When the port is open, I use GPIB to read HP3457. One can see that there is not enough power to keep the supercap from discharging if the port is open all the time. But when it's closed, the supercap can recharge. With BLE one can hope to reduce the transmission times to much less than a second for each reading. The question is what is the best module to use and how to modify the program.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 01:29:48 am by maxwell3e10 »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #605 on: January 19, 2021, 07:29:35 pm »
That was good thinking to use a supercap to store charge. It would seem you are getting really close to a practical working solution. I haven't really looked at power optimisation so am not really in a position to help there but interesting to see your project coming along.

Offline kutte

• Contributor
« Reply #606 on: January 24, 2021, 04:08:09 pm »
some people may have same problems with KE5FXs configurator, I had since I did not find it explicitly mentioned somewhere.
Solution is the version string must at least contain:
GPIB-USB controller version 6.1
Best to be put into AR488_Config.h
And btw, has anyone succeded to put EZGPIB to work using Arduino micro pro, called also Leonardo?? And...how?

Offline serg-el

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #607 on: January 24, 2021, 05:24:41 pm »
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 05:27:18 pm by serg-el »

Offline kutte

• Contributor
« Reply #608 on: January 25, 2021, 08:59:24 am »
@serg-el
It was described here.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/$5-usb-gpib-adapter-for-ezgpib/20/
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 05:27:18 pm by serg-el »

thank you for responding, but that link is related to Arduino nano or similar. My problems are with Arduino pro micro  which has a rather different USART-USB interface so any software patches mentioned there or in the AR488 to EZGPIB i've found do not work.
Kutte

Offline Nx-1997

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #609 on: January 25, 2021, 12:30:28 pm »
This is a very nice adapter. I created a Window App that quickly lets you test the adapter, to see if it works, just click on a com port from the list and issue commands. Nothing fancy. Works on my Windows 10 machine, uses .net framework 4.7.2. Let me know if it crashes.

The following users thanked this post: doktor pyta, coromonadalix, bitseeker, kutte, AtlanticSurfer

Offline kutte

• Contributor
« Reply #610 on: January 25, 2021, 06:08:57 pm »
thank you for your software, and it seems to work, nice!
I forgot to mention, that I could test my adapter with KE5FXs software successfully after correcting the version string accordigly (see above).
Still want to use EZGPIB.
Kutte

Offline Nx-1997

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #611 on: January 25, 2021, 09:33:20 pm »
Here is another software that works well with the first one I uploaded. Basically it issues a signal command and expects to receive data, if that data is a number then it's added to the graph using a double array. You can pan and zoom and zoom into a highlighted region. I tested it using a HP3478A, 3457A, and 6632A. Works with Windows 10. Let me know if it works, should you decide to try it.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #612 on: January 26, 2021, 03:11:13 pm »
This is a very nice adapter. I created a Window App that quickly lets you test the adapter, to see if it works, just click on a com port from the list and issue commands. Nothing fancy. Works on my Windows 10 machine, uses .net framework 4.7.2. Let me know if it crashes.

Here is another software that works well with the first one I uploaded. Basically it issues a signal command and expects to receive data, if that data is a number then it's added to the graph using a double array. You can pan and zoom and zoom into a highlighted region. I tested it using a HP3478A, 3457A, and 6632A. Works with Windows 10. Let me know if it works, should you decide to try it.

Thank you for posting these apps. Very nice!
I tried both on my PC which is running Windows 7 and both worked OK although I couldn't find a way to change the GPIB address from 1 in LiveGraph so just got a climbing invalid reading count. My DMM is on address 3. I expect that it would start plotting valid results if I could switch to GPIB address 3. As it is, it does connect OK with the AR488 interface.

I did toy with the idea of writing something similar to your AR488 Utility, possibly in Python so it was cross-platform, but have just not been able to get around to it yet, so your apps are a welcome development.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 03:56:35 pm by WaveyDipole »

Offline maxwell3e10

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #613 on: January 26, 2021, 04:02:04 pm »
The plotting program that I use is https://hackaday.io/project/5334-serialplot-realtime-plotting-software
It lets you plot not only ASCII data, but also binary in various formats. Also good for logging with a time-stamp.

Offline eliocor

• Supporter
    • rhodiatoce
« Reply #614 on: January 28, 2021, 01:47:32 pm »
I was asked the correct mounting position (Pin 1 = RED color) of the IEEE-488 male connector on the V3 Pro Micro AR488 pcb: see attached picture.
Maybe this can help someone....

The following users thanked this post: wkb, justjason

Offline wkb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #615 on: January 29, 2021, 05:29:05 pm »
Sofar so good.. in the sense that the 2 modules have been assembled. Based on "make do with what you have available" I have battered the connector shell into shape. No problems there.

Then the fun started: after a considerable time of  |O I discovered that 2 of my Arduino's are 3.3V variants. Which I think is a non-starter for this project (or.. ?).

I found two 5V variants which I got programmed after some more  |O.  Something to do with an old rev bootloader (?).  Anyway, USBasp allowed me to program them.

Hooked them up to an FTDI USB-serial.  ++ver, ++addr etc worked just fine.

But that is where it ends: neither the HP 3478a and the HP8642a (signal gen) seem to talk to the AR488 for now.

Most likely I am overlooking something completely obvious... but what  :scared:

Suggestions are more than welcome!

Wilko

Offline maxwell3e10

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #616 on: January 29, 2021, 05:41:11 pm »
Then the fun started: after a considerable time of  |O I discovered that 2 of my Arduino's are 3.3V variants. Which I think is a non-starter for this project (or.. ?).
I found 3.3V version works just fine, this is what I am using for my self-powered setup.

Offline wkb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #617 on: January 29, 2021, 05:43:33 pm »
I found 3.3V version works just fine, this is what I am using for my self-powered setup.

Self-powered?  And: isn't the 3.3V Arduino clocked at 8MHz iso 16MHz?

« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 05:45:36 pm by wkb »

Offline maxwell3e10

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #618 on: January 29, 2021, 05:44:56 pm »
See a few messages above. Arduino and Bluetooth powered by GPIB lines.

Offline wkb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #619 on: January 29, 2021, 05:46:58 pm »
Ah, ok, I see.

Offline wkb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #620 on: January 29, 2021, 05:50:07 pm »
I performed my testing with:

- HP3478A utility
- AR488 utility

and on 2 different AR488 assy's. Also tried (for good measure) 2 different USB-TTL serial cables, one a FTDI and one a CP2102.

The 2 Arduino's are also different versions, one a Funduino Pro Mini, the other is labeled Arduino Mini Pro (so generic stuff I'd say).

Wilko
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 05:53:04 pm by wkb »

Offline wkb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #621 on: January 29, 2021, 05:59:41 pm »
Arduino's used as in the pictures.

Offline maxwell3e10

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #622 on: January 29, 2021, 06:06:52 pm »
If you get response to ++ver command then Arduino and communication works fine. You can check that GPIB lines are actually switching when a message is send. See if the instrument responds in any way (goes to remote, beeps an error). I usually use a Terminal program for debugging. You can also try a command that does not require a response, like a range change.

Also, how long is the cable that goes from Arduino to FTDI? I found sometimes it helps to drop the serial baud rate from 115200 to 57600.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 06:09:35 pm by maxwell3e10 »

Offline eliocor

• Supporter
    • rhodiatoce
« Reply #623 on: January 29, 2021, 06:23:17 pm »
in my (working) Arduino some of the pins numbers are different:
your   mine
11----16
12----14
13----15
the rest are the same
I think you have to modify some pin definition in the sources....

Offline wkb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #624 on: January 29, 2021, 06:36:51 pm »
If you get response to ++ver command then Arduino and communication works fine. You can check that GPIB lines are actually switching when a message is send. See if the instrument responds in any way (goes to remote, beeps an error). I usually use a Terminal program for debugging. You can also try a command that does not require a response, like a range change.

Also, how long is the cable that goes from Arduino to FTDI? I found sometimes it helps to drop the serial baud rate from 115200 to 57600.

OK, I just took the HP 3478A and hooked that up to the AR488.  The FTDI cable is 1m long (~ 3 ft).

I tried multiple commands, eg ++llo  Nothing brings up the "annunciators", like RMT, that indicate the meter is under remote control.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf