Author Topic: Best connector for testing TO-220, TO-247 etc packages (milliohm meter)  (Read 1047 times)

Offline HiemalTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Hi guys.

Designed a milliohm/MOSFET tester/meter and am currently stuck on figuring out a reliable connector methodology. In essence, a 250 mA constant current source to measure voltage drop across whatever you're testing. It works perfect, just need to solve the connector problem.

Right now I've made sort of pseudo kelvin clips by soldering on magnet wire to the near end of grabber clips like these:

Which works, but doesn't feel super "nice" to use and can give errant readings depending on how good the clip grabs onto the leads.

Also gave a thought towards ZIF sockets, but can't get a good kelvin connection (does it matter that much in this case?)

Also thought about terminal blocks, but unsure how reliable it would be and also unsure if I can get a size small enough for TO-220 spacing.

Any other good suggestions?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Old floppy drive power connector. It's 4 pin but you can easily narrow it to 3.

Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
I used terminal blocks with 2.54mm spacing. Works fine, but not sure if it is suitable for kelvin connection and measurements down to milliohms.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf