Author Topic: Dawn operating system  (Read 51672 times)

Offline Wilksey

• Super Contributor
Re: Dawn operating system
« Reply #200 on: March 16, 2017, 04:18:27 pm »
I have a real job, working with real hardware (that exists and I can buy) with a real operating system with real people.
What i'm afraid of is someone will believe you and your "next best thing" ramblings and actually part with their hard earned real money.

For your next greatest achievement, build an operating system using only 1 instruction...nop

Watch out for the matrix.

The following users thanked this post: MK14

Offline cgroen

• Supporter
    • Carstens personal web
« Reply #201 on: March 16, 2017, 04:44:51 pm »
senso/others: yes, i will reply. sorry for making you to have wait, but i dont have now much time to reply or read, as i previously written. i will try to reply within a few days. i have found a bugs in the os that also must be fixed, and i have other things to do. i received totally more than 500 comments and questions from the OS. please be patient, and sorry for the wait.

Geee, there must be a lot of new business coming for your new nonsense os...or nor ?
You sound like a guy with some skills, my advice, use these for something else than this, or maybe talk with some professionals ?

The following users thanked this post: MK14

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #202 on: March 16, 2017, 08:54:52 pm »
You could ask these guys for a quantum machine ...

http://www.atomchip.com/id67.html
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline GeriTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #203 on: March 16, 2017, 08:59:53 pm »
2017, march 16. - Compiler ang GUI bugs
Several bugs fixed in the compiler related to inline function calls and runtime library.
A bug sometimes caused missing re-rendering of texts.

now i have a bit time, and i will make now very short answers to the newer questions.

What i'm afraid of is someone will believe you and your "next best thing" ramblings and actually part with their hard earned real money.

what im afraid is that masses buying 400 usd x86 cpus with 200 usd motherboards and 600 usd graphics cards becouse millions of people fake-expertising them, and posing for them with little knowledge with they little bash scripts, routers, shitty games in forums, governments, corporations and chaining humanity to these ineffective, slow and dangerous technologies, becouse they refuse to learn, innovate, and make any notable technologic expansion in the last 25 years.

cgroen: i guess the great way to profit from my *some* skills would be to do works directly for you, while you watching tv from the money i earn you. these times ending in the IT market nowdays.

free_electron: from what viewpoint dawn is obsolote? its more modern in every aspect than android, windows, or linux.

helius:

DBecker: thats what is usually happening with the operating systems, and most of the software. there is a good and effective implementation, which boots instantly, works very fast with very small resources, and as more and more people starts to work on it, from time to time it starts to gain more ,,weight'', its becoming slower, people start to add random unnecessary things that making it even more slower, and in the end you need gbytes of disk space to gave. thats what happened to windows from 95 to 98, from 98 to xp, and from xp to 7. and thats what happened to linux too. these versions bring a lot of better icons, better kernel and hardware compatibility, but in reality they just growing and growing, without any real innovation. now if you want a debian with lxde, text editor, etc, you need 2 gbyte of disk space, and an 1 ghz cpu to have it working, while the 4-5 year old versions needed only 1 gbyte and a 600-700 mhz cpu to achieve the same things. at this rate, a working linux distribution with the basic packages will require minimum 8 gbyte disk and 2 ghz cpu by 2020. this is a kind of problem i dont want in dawn, so i actually limited the boot ,,fragment'' of the disks to fix 256 mbyte. i agree that writing a compiler is very hard, with the compiler alone was more work probably than the other parts of the os.

ataradov: folowing your logic, linux cant even called a real os, becouse it have no piano or chess built in while my system can. pointing some features important for you will not decide what an OS is, there are several os-es for different purposes, and i am pretty sure if i would hack the networking out from linux will still boot much slower than my system. also my system has networking, its just not tcp/ip based, so saying it not have networking is bullshit, becouse it technically has.

senso: the best advantage of subleq is the simplicity of the build-up. this makes it easyer to design, manufacture, as it discussed before. currently you can buy an fpga, and do a subleq design for your own. later i will contact to some subleq-oriented persons with related fpga developments, so there will be maybe available to just download one directly for the people who wants it. the tcp is overdiscussed, the 50 ghz was wrong data and i removed that section from the website.

Offline Wilksey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #204 on: March 16, 2017, 09:35:42 pm »
Good luck with your "50GHz" clock  :-DD

In what way is your thing better than Windows, Android, Linux etc?

What are you emulating this thing on?

I can emulate a Nintendo on my machine, does that make it better? Nope, but I can go on EBay and buy a Nintendo, can I go on EBay and buy one of these single instruction things? Nope.

Can you let me know who convinced you in the first place about this, I need a really good bullshitter of a sales person, and they sound just the ticket!

Offline GeriTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #205 on: March 16, 2017, 09:48:13 pm »
What are you emulating this thing on?
do you even know what an emulator is?

Offline Wilksey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #206 on: March 17, 2017, 01:21:17 am »
Nope, no idea what an emulator is, presume it's some kind of mythical beast that exists beyond this mortal world  :-//

Offline JoeN

• Frequent Contributor
  • We Buy Trannies By The Truckload
« Reply #207 on: March 17, 2017, 03:52:07 am »
This is the best troll thread I have read in some time and to think I am only through the first page.   :-DD

New user, 1 thread, 28 hours, 79 posts himself on this one thread, garnering 128 replies, nothing but nonsense.

A prize should be awarded.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 04:05:54 am by JoeN »
Have You Been Triggered Today?

The following users thanked this post: newbrain, cgroen

Offline cgroen

• Supporter
    • Carstens personal web
« Reply #208 on: March 17, 2017, 05:03:49 am »

cgroen: i guess the great way to profit from my *some* skills would be to do works directly for you, while you watching tv from the money i earn you. these times ending in the IT market nowdays.

Ehhh, nope, I would be busy figuring out why I hired you in the first place  :-DD
I have been in the software business for almost 35 years now (as a professional) and once in a while someone that claims to "Know it all" pops up. It always, I repeat, always ends the same way. This thread was "kind of" fun in the beginning, now its just sad  :blah:

Tac Eht Xilef

« Reply #209 on: March 17, 2017, 06:05:54 am »
For your next greatest achievement, build an operating system using only 1 instruction...nop

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #210 on: March 17, 2017, 08:21:14 am »
professionals ?

of which sector?  :-DD
here we have a guy that can apparently write an os but can't write a tcp/ip stack (if he's so paranoid about using other people's code)
what's going on next? no usb?

i thank whoever pointed to Temple OS, i totally forgot about that

Offline cgroen

• Supporter
    • Carstens personal web
« Reply #211 on: March 17, 2017, 08:26:08 am »
professionals ?

of which sector?  :-DD
here we have a guy that can apparently write an os but can't write a tcp/ip stack (if he's so paranoid about using other people's code)
what's going on next? no usb?

i thank whoever pointed to Temple OS, i totally forgot about that

:-DD
Drop all interfaces completely, makes it much easier. You would also have no problems with users (as there would be none).....

Offline beenosam

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #212 on: March 17, 2017, 10:47:13 am »
2017, march 16. - Compiler ang GUI bugs
Several bugs fixed in the compiler related to inline function calls and runtime library.
A bug sometimes caused missing re-rendering of texts.

now i have a bit time, and i will make now very short answers to the newer questions.

what im afraid is that masses buying 400 usd x86 cpus with 200 usd motherboards and 600 usd graphics cards becouse millions of people fake-expertising them, and posing for them with little knowledge with they little bash scripts, routers, shitty games in forums, governments, corporations and chaining humanity to these ineffective, slow and dangerous technologies, becouse they refuse to learn, innovate, and make any notable technologic expansion in the last 25 years.

free_electron: from what viewpoint dawn is obsolote? its more modern in every aspect than android, windows, or linux.

helius:

DBecker: thats what is usually happening with the operating systems, and most of the software. there is a good and effective implementation, which boots instantly, works very fast with very small resources, and as more and more people starts to work on it, from time to time it starts to gain more ,,weight'', its becoming slower, people start to add random unnecessary things that making it even more slower, and in the end you need gbytes of disk space to gave. thats what happened to windows from 95 to 98, from 98 to xp, and from xp to 7. and thats what happened to linux too. these versions bring a lot of better icons, better kernel and hardware compatibility, but in reality they just growing and growing, without any real innovation. now if you want a debian with lxde, text editor, etc, you need 2 gbyte of disk space, and an 1 ghz cpu to have it working, while the 4-5 year old versions needed only 1 gbyte and a 600-700 mhz cpu to achieve the same things. at this rate, a working linux distribution with the basic packages will require minimum 8 gbyte disk and 2 ghz cpu by 2020. this is a kind of problem i dont want in dawn, so i actually limited the boot ,,fragment'' of the disks to fix 256 mbyte. i agree that writing a compiler is very hard, with the compiler alone was more work probably than the other parts of the os.

ataradov: folowing your logic, linux cant even called a real os, becouse it have no piano or chess built in while my system can. pointing some features important for you will not decide what an OS is, there are several os-es for different purposes, and i am pretty sure if i would hack the networking out from linux will still boot much slower than my system. also my system has networking, its just not tcp/ip based, so saying it not have networking is bullshit, becouse it technically has.

senso: the best advantage of subleq is the simplicity of the build-up. this makes it easyer to design, manufacture, as it discussed before. currently you can buy an fpga, and do a subleq design for your own. later i will contact to some subleq-oriented persons with related fpga developments, so there will be maybe available to just download one directly for the people who wants it. the tcp is overdiscussed, the 50 ghz was wrong data and i removed that section from the website.

Is that your master plan? Blind people with your chess and piano built-in so they go "oh this OS is crap, I can't even go online". Unfortunately for you, an OS isn't defined based on what programs that are built-in. You can't compare chess or piano programs to anything like the internet or browsers...and if you do then you clearly have your head shoved so far up your ass.  Maybe you should take it out.

Internet is a necessity, connectivity is a necessity. You're being a dictator moron claiming all this bullshit about x86 and then trying to enforce what YOU want on anyone stupid enough to use your "OS". Having the ability to go online in an OS isn't an option, it is a MUST. Just because you are too asinine to admit it, doesn't mean it isn't true.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 10:49:04 am by beenosam »

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #213 on: March 17, 2017, 12:51:27 pm »
thats what is usually happening with the operating systems, and most of the software. there is a good and effective implementation, which boots instantly, works very fast with very small resources, and as more and more people starts to work on it, from time to time it starts to gain more ,,weight'', its becoming slower, people start to add random unnecessary things that making it even more slower, and in the end you need gbytes of disk space to gave. thats what happened to windows from 95 to 98, from 98 to xp, and from xp to 7. and thats what happened to linux too. these versions bring a lot of better icons, better kernel and hardware compatibility, but in reality they just growing and growing, without any real innovation. now if you want a debian with lxde, text editor, etc, you need 2 gbyte of disk space, and an 1 ghz cpu to have it working, while the 4-5 year old versions needed only 1 gbyte and a 600-700 mhz cpu to achieve the same things. at this rate, a working linux distribution with the basic packages will require minimum 8 gbyte disk and 2 ghz cpu by 2020. this is a kind of problem i dont want in dawn, so i actually limited the boot ,,fragment'' of the disks to fix 256 mbyte. i agree that writing a compiler is very hard, with the compiler alone was more work probably than the other parts of the os.
Fortunately that's not been so much of a problem over the past ten or so years. In the past software and operating systems and software has grown at the same pace as hardware but over the last ten years, software has grown very little, yet hardware has continued to grow.

With modern operating systems, it's indeed possible to use a ten year old computer. A modern OS such as Windows 10 or a typical Linux distribution will work perfectly well on a ten year old computer. At home I use PCLinuxOS on a PC made in 2006, with 1GB of RAM and a single code 2GHz 64-bit CPU. It works perfectly for what I use it for. Of course I can't play the latest games but I don't want to do that.

This wasn't the case ten years ago. Try running Vista on a computer made in 1997 and you'll see what I mean.

Offline senso

• Frequent Contributor
    • My AVR tutorials
« Reply #214 on: March 17, 2017, 04:33:23 pm »
For all the bad things that Windows10 as, I find it amazing that I can get a random core2duo laptop, install it, and everything works, even the Fn combos for brightness and sound control.

You didnt really answer me, why do you think that SUBLEQ is superior to everything when every instruction must be emulated by dozens/thousands of subleq instructions?
It will be slower than a z80 running CP/M :/

Offline CM800

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #215 on: March 17, 2017, 05:04:42 pm »
Agreed,

I think he needs to get himself an FPGA and try see how it works out...

Offline senso

• Frequent Contributor
    • My AVR tutorials
« Reply #216 on: March 17, 2017, 05:23:14 pm »
I will say that out of curiosity I download the compressed thing, uploaded it to virustotal, and ran the exe inside a VM, and its very,very,very slow(in a i7-4700mq in a laptop with an SSD), I tried to use it for 20 minutes, but its way to slow to even try out.

Offline beenosam

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #217 on: March 17, 2017, 05:33:28 pm »
I will say that out of curiosity I download the compressed thing, uploaded it to virustotal, and ran the exe inside a VM, and its very,very,very slow(in a i7-4700mq in a laptop with an SSD), I tried to use it for 20 minutes, but its way to slow to even try out.
That's because your processor isn't 500000 GHz! And the TCP/IP stack in your virtual machine is slowing it down by at least 1000 times!

Offline Kalvin

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded SW/HW.
« Reply #218 on: March 17, 2017, 05:35:38 pm »
Here's a nice tutorial on operating systems basics:

https://www.tutorialspoint.com/operating_system/

The OS needs to implement quite a many features to be considered as secure and usable, and the hardware needs to be able to provide the support and enforce those features. There will be a compromise between simplicity and performance, so you could get away with a simpler implementation which will have a slight penalty compared to a more complex yet higher performing system. Without networking the OS is pretty much useless. Without good selection of software and applications nobody wants to use it. Although you want to keep your system simple - which is a good thing - the system still has to provide the features that the users need and expect from a modern system and it should perform well enough compared to the existing systems.

There are some simple yet complete operating systems available, Oberon being one of them implementable in an FPGA:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oberon_(operating_system)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 05:48:16 pm by Kalvin »

Offline newbrain

• Super Contributor
« Reply #219 on: March 17, 2017, 05:42:24 pm »
(S)He needs much more than an FPGA, from several points of view, both technical and non-technical.

A number of things made me immediately skeptical :bullshit::
  • The conspiracy theory angle on every consolidated technology and even open standards.
  • The wild numbers, thrown around without justification.
  • The complete lack of information about the design of this "OS":
    • File system?
    • Process and threading model?
    • Homebrew C compiler? Validation? Supported standards?
    • HW interfaces?
      The only known thing is the CPU, which is usually immaterial (not in this case, though :palm:) and the flat memory model.
    And no, I'm not going to install it to see the documentation inside.
    If one wants people to be interested, the information must be accessible with minimum effort.
  • Also, I wonder whether any open source code has been used.
    Maybe not, it might be spying on the user.

But really, one of the most amusing threads since longtime.

For all the bad things that Windows10 as, I find it amazing that I can get a random core2duo laptop, install it, and everything works, even the Fn combos for brightness and sound control.
Quoted for truth: when I'm in Italy, I have a 2009 vintage desktop (i5-750) and laptop (T4400).
Windows10 runs fast and flawlessly on both. Decent gaming, too, on the desktop.
Nandemo wa shiranai wa yo, shitteru koto dake.

Online Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #220 on: March 18, 2017, 12:40:23 am »
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #221 on: March 18, 2017, 12:43:04 am »
it is obsolete because
- there is no hardware to run it (only emulation)
- nobody will ever build the subleq cpu in a commercial setting
- the writer of the OS does not allow for connectivity to other machines.
- the writer of the os does not allow anyone else to write code for it.

so yeah. it is obsolete.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #222 on: March 18, 2017, 12:49:26 am »
it is obsolete because
- there is no hardware to run it (only emulation)
- nobody will ever build the subleq cpu in a commercial setting
- the writer of the OS does not allow for connectivity to other machines.
- the writer of the os does not allow anyone else to write code for it.

so yeah. it is obsolete.

That's not obsolete, that's stillborn.

The following users thanked this post: nugglix

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #223 on: March 18, 2017, 08:16:24 pm »
The conspiracy theory angle on every consolidated technology and even open standards.
Which I thought was odd and very hypocritical too, as the OS isn't even open source.

The website talks of freedom, which is very misleading, given the proprietary nature of the operating system.

Offline bitwelder

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #224 on: March 19, 2017, 06:55:22 am »
The conspiracy theory angle on every consolidated technology and even open standards.
Which I thought was odd and very hypocritical too, as the OS isn't even open source.

The website talks of freedom, which is very misleading, given the proprietary nature of the operating system.
And then (s)he proposes to those who say that writing a TCP/IP stack is not difficult to write one for the Dawn OS.
 :palm:
(which will be never include in the main code anyway, because of trust issues)
 :palm:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf