Author Topic: Electronics Workbench Design  (Read 27183 times)

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Electronics Workbench Design
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2017, 12:06:37 pm »
I am thinking of using melamine covered board for my bench.  I was wondering how to cover front (and sides) of the bench. Are there any thin melamine strips that can be glued to mask these areas of exposed bare wood? Something that can be done in an easy way, I don't have any heavy woodworking machines.

You can buy premade strips ot just glue on a small strip cut from the big sheet and then use a laminate trimmer just like you would on the top.  The laminate trimmer is not a big heavy machine, its just a small handheld motor.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2017, 12:14:00 pm »
You can also buy special knifes to trim the laminate.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline bsudbrink

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2017, 04:08:28 pm »
I am thinking of using melamine covered board for my bench.  I was wondering how to cover front (and sides) of the bench. Are there any thin melamine strips that can be glued to mask these areas of exposed bare wood? Something that can be done in an easy way, I don't have any heavy woodworking machines.

You can buy premade strips ot just glue on a small strip cut from the big sheet and then use a laminate trimmer just like you would on the top.  The laminate trimmer is not a big heavy machine, its just a small handheld motor.
Yes, the place I bought my tabletops from sold "iron on" laminate strips to finish the edges, but, as you can see from the pictures, I never got around to doing that.

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2017, 04:26:55 pm »
Yes, you can get the knives, but the last one I saw was more $ than the old 7.2v makita trimmer I got on criagslist and powered from my bench power supply.  FWIW 7.2 v makita tools will run fine at 9.6v but up around 12v will burn the brushes.

Offline MatteoX

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2017, 04:54:32 pm »
I found this iron on edge tape: http://www.homedepot.com/p/3-4-in-x-25-ft-White-Iron-On-Edge-Tape-274431/100559770

It is 3/4" so it should fit perfectly - no trimming should be needed.  I even didn't know these things exist. I kind of hesitate to buy a special trimming tool that
most likely I won't use again.

Thanks everyone  for the suggestions.

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2017, 06:51:37 pm »
I wonder if you could still glue the tape on, seems to me the iron on stuff would have a pretty low temp adhesive, you may end up loosening if you solder or use a heat gun near it for too long.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2017, 07:12:26 pm »

A small strip ripped from the edge of a 2x4 can be glued/finish nailed to the edge as I've done in the picture.  I know yo said you don't have the tools but if you buy a 2x4 at any decent lumber yard, they are often willing to do one or two cuts for you. If not perhaps a friend has a table saw.

Offline MatteoX

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2017, 08:52:25 pm »
@mtdoc  I really like your border. It seems I have to spend less time on electronics and more on improving my woodworking skills  :)

If my bench were in the garage I  wouldn't care much about the edge but it is in my office so it has to look semi decent. I like the idea of rising the edge little bit to prevent components rolling of the desk but that might interfere with attachments that can be clamped to the bench.

If I don't manage to make nice wooden edge, I'll probably use that melamine tape but then I'll have to be more careful with heath gun.

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2017, 08:52:48 pm »
Another option is to round over the front edge and then heat the melamine and bend it around the curve.

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2017, 09:18:28 pm »
Since I took a picture of my daughter soldering a couple days ago you can see my bench/table in progress and see the laminate on some plywood here.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #60 on: March 15, 2017, 12:03:45 pm »
Since I took a picture of my daughter soldering a couple days ago you can see my bench/table in progress and see the laminate on some plywood here.

picture didn't make it.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
    • General Repair and Support
« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2017, 12:34:24 pm »
@eugenenine The post shows a Google user URL. Perhaps check profile share link settings, create public folder, or use an image share site. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_image-sharing_websites

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2017, 07:35:15 pm »
Lets see if photobucket works today

Always tricky to figure out which service actually works at any gives time.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2017, 08:39:56 pm »
Lets see if photobucket works today

Always tricky to figure out which service actually works at any gives time.

Well cool, that seems to have worked.

Now that looks a little bit like a posed photo rather than someone actually soldering  :)

If your daughter were to hold the soldering iron more like a pencil, and also pull a length of solder from the holder and hold the solder wire directly that would give more control and finesse over the soldering process.

Also, perhaps you might encourage your daughter to wear safety glasses? It's possible for small drops of solder to splash or fly about, or for small bits of wire to go flying when you snip them, and these are not good if they land in an eye. Ignoring eye protection is a risk adults usually take, but children are not mature enough to know the risk and be able to make an informed decision about it.

Here are some videos you might watch with your daughter for inspiration if you are not already aware of them:

http://sylviashow.com/episodes

I note that Sylvia doesn't always wear eye protection either, but she does when clipping component leads (adults should do so too).

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #64 on: March 15, 2017, 11:34:37 pm »
She has soldered before but its been a while so she tends to forget things in between and her iron has a much longer tip so she held where she did in the past and the safety glasses seemed to have walked away and her project was due in two days and she had homework to do so we had to hurry and get it done.
I'm thinking of ordering this soon too http://www.tequipment.net/HakkoFA400-04.html?b=y&v=7765

NEway, I just bought a sheet of plywood (don't need it all for this but will use the rest elsewhere) and the sheet of laminate and a can of glue and some disposable brushes because you can't wash the laminate glue out of the brushes.  The laminate holds up well, old pic but its been on top of my router table for 10 years.  I have a better pic somewhere.

You can skip the side trim if you want, it hasn't come up on the router table in all that time.

Mine then the solder shelf I can just lift off the bench when I'm not soldering to gain some space.

There it is
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 11:38:45 pm by eugenenine »

Offline mclemens1969

• Contributor
« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2017, 12:15:08 am »
Here is how I did mine. It has served me very well. 2x4's and nice plywood.

Offline bsudbrink

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #66 on: March 16, 2017, 04:14:04 pm »
Great to be able to tie to the wall for stability... I assume those supports are screwed into the wall studs?  On the other hand, a little limiting in the flexibility department.  You never really want to move your lab around, but if you have to...

Offline mclemens1969

• Contributor
« Reply #67 on: March 16, 2017, 08:33:46 pm »
Y they go into each stud. Over-strong for sure. You are correct this is pretty much a fixed configuration.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #68 on: March 16, 2017, 09:00:17 pm »
My 'L' shaped desk is done like that but the workbench is free standing.  Next step is adding some heavy duty casters so I can move it away from the wall to clean/get to stuff that falls behind it easier.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline Phil_Tech

• Contributor
« Reply #69 on: June 22, 2017, 08:05:53 am »
Revamping my workshop today, bought 2 new adjustable height workbenches and shelving to go behind them for my test gear. Need to get some of that nice blue ESD mat for the bench-tops.

The shelving is ex shop display 'gondola' shelving which has self-supporting uprights and perforated metal back panels. As a bonus the hole pitch in the perforated panels matches that available from local hardware chain (Bunnings), so all of their little tool clip/hooks will work on my panels. The shelving modules are 1800 mm high by 1200 mm wide and 450 mm deep shelves. I'm going to cut back some of the shelves to 300 mm deep for the test gear directly over the workbenches.

I will post some more pics when I get some more done (for anyone who's interested), however the progress is slow as I still have to earn a living in between.

Phil - Melbourne, Australia.

Online Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70 on: June 22, 2017, 11:04:14 am »
Nice lab you are putting together there. Looks like it has more space than my living room too.

The following users thanked this post: Phil_Tech

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71 on: June 22, 2017, 12:50:33 pm »
Nice lab Phil.  :-+

I've never seen a wall mounted scope before!  With the trend towards bigger screens, maybe they'll start coming with VESA mounting points.

The following users thanked this post: Phil_Tech

Offline Phil_Tech

• Contributor
« Reply #72 on: June 23, 2017, 12:00:08 am »
Now if only I could get a wall mount PSU  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf