Hi!
Upon submitting an order to Mouser last week, the shipment was halted awaiting a so-called "export review". I contacted them, and learned that the offending item was an uBlox LEA-M8T GPS timing module. Fearing that such review may add days and weeks to the delivery time, I just asked custom service to pull the M8T off the pick list and proceed with the rest of the order - which they did. No worries.
But the thing is: I live i Norway, and there are no export restrictions on GPS technology to Norwegian buyers (as far as I know). So, I am about to re-order the part in a seperate shipment from Mouser and wait for the review. But before doing that, I'd like to check if anyone here has had a similar experience, and whether I should bother waiting for the export review to complete.
If the order is likely to be rejected from US suppliers, I'd rather spend time finding a domestic or European distributor.