Hi guys
I hope this question will be fairly simple for some of you guys, as I'm more of a fixer than a maker and definitely not a designer
I have some current meters with 50A shunts like these ones
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001834315051.htmlI've tested them on my bench PSU with a load and they work as expected. However they only work with the shunt on the low side (one of the current sense wires is common with the meter module ground)
I want to use them to monitor on the high side - specifically I want to monitor the current on 3.3V/5V/12V outputs from a power supply with common ground
I understand in principle how to do this using an op-amp to monitor the voltage across the shunt but my knowledge is not good enough to design the circuit. See attached I don't need any gain in the op-amp as the meter already reads the correct current, I just need to reference the sensed voltage to ground - see attached pic, I'm pretty sure this will do it. But how do I select the resistor values to get 1:1 gain?
I have in my stash of parts some OP07, LM741, LM358 and some common guad op-amps like TL084.
I've read that this sort of circuit can't be built effectively using discrete resistors but I don't need any gain from the op-amp and my meters only have a resolution of 10mA or 100mA (over 10A) at best so is this still a problem? I have single rail supply voltages present to power the op-amp
best regards
Richard