Author Topic: Is it possible to change the output voltage here?  (Read 1557 times)

Offline Chet T16Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • Retro-Renault
Is it possible to change the output voltage here?
« on: July 25, 2017, 06:57:47 am »
I have an LED driver here with an output of 72V, unfortunately it has an unknown IC so I've no datasheet to see how the voltage is set.

Presumably its a matter of changing a couple of resistors? Any pointers on where to start?

Thanks

Chet
Paid Electron Wrestler

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
Re: Is it possible to change the output voltage here?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 07:38:38 am »
I have an LED driver here with an output of 72V, unfortunately it has an unknown IC so I've no datasheet to see how the voltage is set.
Presumably its a matter of changing a couple of resistors? Any pointers on where to start?
i salvaged led light from dumbster (similar size as long flourescent tube). the chip driver is WS3441A offline non isolated led driver. its constant current driver instead of constant voltage. so i guess you put anything on the output, it will produce any voltage necessary to get the set constant current... the chip number is barely visible in the picture you posted, maybe you can clean some more and look the number under microscope, ymmv.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 08:12:57 am »
i salvaged led light from dumbster (similar size as long flourescent tube). the chip driver is WS3441A offline non isolated led driver. its constant current driver instead of constant voltage. so i guess you put anything on the output, it will produce any voltage necessary to get the set constant current... the chip number is barely visible in the picture you posted, maybe you can clean some more and look the number under microscope, ymmv.
Yes, it's most likely it regulates the current, not the voltage, which is probably limited to 72V to protect the components. It's also quite likely it either isn't isolated from the mains at all or the insulation isn't adequate to enable the DC side to be treated as non-hazardous.

Offline Chet T16Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • Retro-Renault
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 11:44:05 am »
Yes its non-isolated but it only needs to run for a short while under controlled circumstances for some testing.

I'll do some testing to see if it is indeed constant current.

Thanks
Chet
Paid Electron Wrestler

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf