Author Topic: Linux software for ZKE TECH EBC-A05 and EBC-A10H...  (Read 4838 times)

Offline MBYTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Linux software for ZKE TECH EBC-A05 and EBC-A10H...
« on: February 25, 2021, 03:55:33 am »
(I'm unsure if this is the right sub forum, but I hope the mods can move the thread if not.)

The ZKE, ZKE-TECH or ZKETECH electronic loads are cheap and very useful battery chargers and testers. They can operate stand alone, but is more versatile when connected to a computer. The proprietary Windows software provided by ZKETECH is not too bad, but have some flaws and missing functions. The main one, of course, is that it's only for Windows.

I've used the A05 for many years and recently upgraded to a A10H in order to test some Lead acid batteries. One shortcoming is that the user doesn't have much control of the "rules" for end charge, such as a current cut off and some Lead acid batteries (especially if they have bad cells) never stops accepting charge and are just boiling away and the end-of-charge limits (that is preset to 50 or 60 mA by the device) is never reached.

I decided to write my own software, for Linux, and add some features I felt was missing.

This is my first release on github, and I don't have much experience with writing release notes and documentation for public projects, so be kind to me! :)

If you're just interested in running the thing, you need two files. The executable and its companion ".init" file, that is for auto-generating a .conf file for the users setting:
https://github.com/JOGAsoft/EBC-controller/releases/tag/v0.1 (Linux, 64-bits)

If you're interested in the source code, you can check it out here:
https://github.com/JOGAsoft/EBC-controller

The project is sparsely commented and documented and probably have a shitload of bugs and inconveniences, but at least it's a start. The program probably works with other loads/battery testers from ZKETECH as well. If you're willing to test it on a new device, I'm happy to see what can be done to make it work. 

Edit: It's written in Free Pascal/Lazarus and there is nothing preventing anyone to compile it for Windows or OSX. The only thing needed is to look at the serial connection routine and adjusting it to fit with the nomenclature of Windows (eg. "COM1" instead of "/dev/ttyS1", etc). It may work directly by just entering the device in the device connection edit.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 09:50:46 pm by MBY »

The following users thanked this post: BobCollins

Offline wflynn

Re: Linux software for ZKE TECH EBC-A05 and EBC-A10H...
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2023, 07:01:00 pm »
Hey - I was hoping you might share the communication protocol for this thing.  I am trying to do the same thing, but on a bigger scale.  Rather than figure out the protocol on my own, you've already done it so maybe you'll share?  I know - it's in your code.  But I'm not a pascal guy so it's a bit tough reading it.

Offline masme

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2023, 01:14:31 pm »
Hey thank you very much for all,I've been be able to follow your instructions and install and execute the sw in Linux. I'm not an expert in the sw code and my question is a little bit complex (for me) ... I would like to be able to acquire in a shorter time interval than the 2 seconds/point as offered by the original program. Do you think it possible or not?

Offline ardiehl

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2023, 06:38:59 pm »
i'm currently working on supporting the A20 and A40, somewhat works already - https://github.com/ardiehl/EBC-controller

However, the EBC [A20,A40] only sends the status every 2 seconds so i dont see any way to change that.

Offline ardiehl

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2023, 08:00:30 pm »
first release for Linux and Windows available, changes:

A20/A40 supported
Syntax checking and highlighting for step files
More error checking
Bugs fixed
Auto log file naming
Auto save step file log
Charge/Discharge profiles from conf-file only (can be limited by charger)
Help for shortcuts
Fixed tab orders
... and more

https://github.com/ardiehl/EBC-controller/releases

Offline TJM

• Radioactive@Home BOINC project
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2023, 10:50:23 pm »
Hello,

Recently I bought two EBC-A10H units which are going to be used mostly for charging 12V lead acid batteries, as I use them in rotation for alarm systems on my remote property where I don't have electricity. Since I had problems with the software supplied with devices, after a quick google search I found this thread and tried EBC-controller v2.16. It mostly works as expected on Windows 10, with just very minor GUI glitches, sometimes the buttons get stuck when fooling around with start/stop or running and stopping stepfile.

One feature I couldn't get to work however, is stepfile, which could come in handy as every now and then I run charge-discharge-charge to estimate the overall condition of battery.

For charging step, I use c_cccv mode, for example:

c_cccv cells=1 volt=14.40V curr=0.60A cuta=0.05A

every time the charging starts, it stops after around 1 second. Could this be a bug, or am I doing something wrong ?

Anyway, thanks a lot for a great piece of software.
Open Source, Open Hardware radioactivity monitoring project http://radioactiveathome.org/

Offline jefffay

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2023, 03:28:49 pm »
Thanks for sharing your work. Is it possible to change the values of both the axis? I'd like to display the voltage from 3v - 4.2v....

Offline drelectron

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2024, 05:19:04 pm »
Has anyone here determined the configuration settings or "init" file for the ZKE Tech ZBD-A20H dis-charger only model?  I have two of these and would like to use them with the "Linux and Windows" software mentioned above to characterize the 12 volt LiFePO4 batteries in my off-grid power system.

Thanks,
Dave

Offline staibisser

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2024, 06:04:28 pm »
Communication protocol would be interesting, a way to find out? I have 4 EBC/EBX devices and would like to do more with them.
Thanks for Input
staibisser

Offline sstepane

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2024, 11:02:49 am »
Hi,

Using these devices daily for old batteries checks. My only complain to the original software is that it does not have any capability of command-line interface at least or a thermometer input as it is vital to see battery temperature for faulting batteries. And, otherwise, quite significant piece of characterisation of battery state...

Otherwise - in my opinion, original software is quite ok for the task.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf