Mechanical Engineering major here, I did a BLDC motor design in Simcenter Motorsolve, the simulated values were showing good results so I ordered the magnets and coils and will make the motor as soon as they arrive.
Here are the motor specs I designed the motor around:
Type: BLDC Inrunner Ironless
Voltage: 48V
Amperage: 24A
Rated speed: 5500 RPM
Rated shaft output power: 1 kW
Core Diameter: 130mm
Core height: 40mm
Magnet grade: N35
Slots/Poles: 18/16
Winding strand diameter: 1.3mm
I chose an ironless design for 2 reasons:
- Efficiency
- Ease of manufacturing with little equipment (you avoid silicon steel laminations, while not the hardest thing to source, its still more hassle than 3D printing the core out of PET-GF)
I am aware real life efficiency wont be as good, but I'd love to hear any feedback on it in general. Or if there is any glaring issues please let me know. As soon as I finish the motor design in CAD I will open source it.