Author Topic: Oscilloscope pong for 1 or 2 players.  (Read 195670 times)

Offline hornpipe2

Re: Oscilloscope pong for 1 or 2 players.
« Reply #550 on: February 07, 2018, 04:57:20 pm »
2 additional possible options with equipment you may have on hand.

You can always capture the audio on you PC's line in, then use that audio to replace the audio of the iphone video.

If you have a laptop with a good enough built in webcam, and a stereo line input next to the headphone jack, you can record from that camera & use the line in instead of the microphone audio when recording the video.

Do this.  I tried it before, and it works well.  Here are the steps:

* Plug Pong video-out into TV, audio-out into PC mic-in (or line-in).
* Point camera at TV.  Put it on a tripod so it doesn't move.  Stand far back and optical-zoom in to fill the screen, and minimize pincushion distortion.  Turn off auto-exposure and mess with the manual settings for aperture / ISO until it looks good.
* Start Audacity on PC.  Adjust input volume so the peak level is nearly at, but not touching, the top/bottom of the graph.
* Hit Record on Camera and PC.
* Fire up Pong and play some rounds.
* Later, dump the camera data to the PC.
* Open the video in an editor, import the audio, synchronize the two, trim, export, and post!

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #551 on: February 07, 2018, 06:33:05 pm »
Wow just WOW!
That is too cool...
Sue AF6LJ

Offline GKTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #552 on: February 07, 2018, 11:35:50 pm »
If you can record stereo audio into your PC's Line In to your PC like my earlier suggestion, I am willing to swap the audio on your video file from your iPhone if you are unable to do this.

OK, I'll do that this weekend. I'm not sure that my video editing software supports the separate insertion of audio. If not I'll take you up on that offer and upload the audio and video files to a folder on my web domain. This will only be a 30s or so clip that I will incorporate into a longer video.

I'm mostly done with the documentation and am keen to get this project finished off and posted to a page on my site so that I can move on to the next project  ;)

« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 11:38:28 pm by GK »
Bzzzzt. No longer care, over this forum shit.........ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Offline BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #553 on: February 08, 2018, 12:07:03 am »
If you can record stereo audio into your PC's Line In to your PC like my earlier suggestion, I am willing to swap the audio on your video file from your iPhone if you are unable to do this.

OK, I'll do that this weekend. I'm not sure that my video editing software supports the separate insertion of audio. If not I'll take you up on that offer and upload the audio and video files to a folder on my web domain. This will only be a 30s or so clip that I will incorporate into a longer video.

I'm mostly done with the documentation and am keen to get this project finished off and posted to a page on my site so that I can move on to the next project  ;)
Glad to do it freely...
(Note I use an old public domain VirtualDub video editor which allows alternate audio tracks, audio/video alignment scope & direct stream save option retaining the original compression without re-processing.)

Offline GKTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #554 on: February 09, 2018, 09:24:35 am »
OK, cool. I'm currently on a mission to complete all projects I've already started, which is why this video Pong has been dragging on a bit. My next major project for the bench will be finishing of my PET2001 computer clone, however that doesn't mean that I can't fit a few little projects in between.

I don't know what timb's plans are for his PCB layout of the original discrete Oscilloscope Pong, but one thing I'd like to do next, Pong wise, is to as directly as possible replicate both my Oscilloscope Pong and the Video pong in integrated circuit logic/op-amps/analogue-switches/comparators. Each will preferably be a single board PCB design for through-hole parts.

If there is any significant enthusiasm for this I'll get onto it sooner rather than later. I'll start a new thread for the discrete IC-logic/IC-analogue (uC/uP-free) Asteroids.

Bzzzzt. No longer care, over this forum shit.........ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #555 on: February 09, 2018, 09:53:31 pm »
Yes, an IC-based version is probably appealing to more DIYers. :-+
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #556 on: February 09, 2018, 11:07:27 pm »
Hello GK,

One note when sampling your audio for your Video Pong game.  Use 48Khz, not 44.1KHz.  This is not a quality issue, it's just that the default audio sample rate for most video encodes is by default 48KHz and some video editors mess up the mixing of 44.1KHz sound tracks occasionally dropping frames to retain AV sync.

Regards,
Brian.

Offline Auciele

• Contributor
« Reply #557 on: February 12, 2018, 03:58:49 pm »
Hello,

that's quite an impressive project you did there. If i may be a bit selfish: would you agree to take a top view HD picture of the "board" because i definively want this as my new computer wallpaper?

Thanks
Electronic engineer - Altium 10.1377.27009

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf