Author Topic: project idea...improving AWG  (Read 1488 times)

Offline KTPTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
project idea...improving AWG
« on: August 02, 2012, 06:07:19 pm »
I was playing around yesterday with the AWG on my Agilent 3000x (yes, yes, I can't stop playing with the scope) and was trying to generate a very narrow glitch on a fast sine wave to see if I could then detect it with the scope.

I started with a 1Mhz 600mVpp sine wave and tried to put a 20mv glitch with the waveform editor.  Forgetting for the moment that the AWG on the scope has a rise time of 17ns, I made the pulse only a few points long  :D.  I got an interesting wobble on the sine wave, but not anything like what I had drawn.

This brings me to the idea.  All of these AWG in the low price range, actually even the Agilent $2000 models, have fairly slow rise times (usually around 8 to 10ns).  With the ability to use the tinylogic buffer chips to get 600ps rise times, I am thinking of some sort of add-on device that can either sharpen the output of a square or pulse wave from the AWG, or add a glitch to an existing waveform.  I haven't really thought this through very well, but I suspect you would need at minimum a trigger signal from the AWG along with a programmable delay to select when you insert the glitch.  Programmable gain for the amplitude of the glitch or pulse would be nice.  Obviously we are talking quite a bit more circuitry than a simple buffer.  What do you guys think?  Even possible?  A worthy project?

For reference, I had been watching this video and was just curious if I could duplicate anything close on the 3000x: 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf