Author Topic: Serial to Ethernet Modules  (Read 4312 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline rcbuckTopic starter

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 378
  • Country: us
 

Offline rstofer

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 10088
  • Country: us
Re: Serial to Ethernet Modules
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 01:31:11 am »
I sure wish they wouldn't say RS232 when they mean TTL Serial.  Not only are the voltages different, the signal levels are inverted.

The seond item supports 3 clients as a server.  The first item doesn't mention multiple connections - or I missed it.  This is kind of important for what I might want them for but it may not matter to you.

 

Offline LabSpokane

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1899
  • Country: us
Re: Serial to Ethernet Modules
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 01:45:06 am »
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Lantronix/XP1002000-05R/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtNlGR3Dbecs7OYS22gSyXFI7DNiIa86zo%3d

The Lantronix is the brand-name version of what you found.  They work well, but are correspondingly expensive. 
 

Offline ebclr

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 2332
  • Country: 00
 

Offline rcbuckTopic starter

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 378
  • Country: us
Re: Serial to Ethernet Modules
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 06:34:28 am »
Guys, thanks for the replies. Yes, I agree their RS232 reference is a little misleading and could confuse a beginner. I will be using a PIC to drive the unit so TTL is actually what I am looking for.

I was trying to replace a Lantronix XP1001001-04R (which is no longer made). I'm guessing the XP1002000-05R replaced the 04 unit. I do not need multiple connections as it will be a one way transmission from one endpoint to another.

One thing I am concerned with is the fact that the USR-K1 and USR-K2 apparently do not come with an embedded MAC address. Apparently only the USR-K3 has the MAC address. It is about double the cost of the K1 unit but still less money than the Lantronix unit by a long ways.

Has anyone actually used one of the units? If so, how difficult is the setup? If I am reading and interpreting the data notes correctly, only the K3 has a web setup page. The other two have to be setup using AT commands.
 

Offline ebclr

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 2332
  • Country: 00
Re: Serial to Ethernet Modules
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 08:34:51 am »
All have Mac address ( fixed ) K3 you can customize or use your own number
 

Offline LabSpokane

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1899
  • Country: us
Re: Serial to Ethernet Modules
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 01:25:24 pm »
If security is an issue, the AT command-only setup is the way to go. I never liked the idea of a web server on the XPort.
 

Offline rcbuckTopic starter

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 378
  • Country: us
Re: Serial to Ethernet Modules
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2016, 06:23:57 pm »
Thanks ebclr and LabSpokane. I'll order a couple of the K1s since they have a mac address and I have no need for the web interface.
 

Offline Pack34

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 754
Re: Serial to Ethernet Modules
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2016, 09:23:36 pm »
I've always been a fan of the ENC28J60 modules.

There's a fair amount of canned code for this style transceiver.

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/765
 

Offline garboui

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 69
Re: Serial to Ethernet Modules
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2016, 09:33:06 pm »
I assume you are looking for wired but, I've evaluated these for a wireless application back in the fall.

The AT command set is simple and once a socket is configured they are basically serial over Ethernet. The price is decent in quantity as well.
http://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/products/wireless-connectivity/wi-fi/spwf01sa.html
 

Offline rcbuckTopic starter

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 378
  • Country: us
Re: Serial to Ethernet Modules
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2016, 10:10:17 pm »
I have worked with these in the past:
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/WIZnet/WIZ550io/?qs=%2fha2pyFadug8FD%2f6zedWSoPt6IVyj0i4Z%2fw6a0NNsKo%3d
and consider them a much better value than the ENC28J60 module.

I am currently only using wired connections but will keep the ST units in mind if a wireless need comes up at a later date.
 


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->