Author Topic: APC Smartups 5000 208V => 120V conversion Possible?  (Read 2463 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Mikek400Topic starter

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 86
  • Country: jp
APC Smartups 5000 208V => 120V conversion Possible?
« on: January 25, 2024, 12:09:03 am »
I have a few 208V SU5000s and considering how to convert one to work on 120V,
or run on 240v (which it will) and output center tapped 240V. (L1 120V,  N,  L2 120V)  which it doesn't.

I haven't looked at it recently but I remember it has 2 transformers inside like the 120V SU3000 I have.

Is it just a matter of changing how these 2 transformers are  connected and replacing resistors on the circuit board to make it think it is getting / outputting 208V ?
Maybe even possible to change settings via the serial port? 

Thanks for any input.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2024, 12:31:15 am by Mikek400 »
 

Offline Mikek400Topic starter

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 86
  • Country: jp
Re: APC Smartups 5000 208V => 120V conversion Possible?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2024, 05:51:34 pm »
After digging around it seems possible to make a 120v unit into a 240v unit by changing the transformers from series to parallel output and changing the various 120v rated components to 240v...  This 208v unit has the transformers in series already, so if you put them in parallel it will make the voltage go to 416V which is no good.

Unfortunately the answer isn't any fun hackery, it is to use the 208v to 120v stepdown transformer they make for this which I managed to get.  It is rated for the full 5000VA that the UPS is supposed to supply. 
 


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->