Author Topic: SMD to through hole adapter boards for breadboarding: where to get?  (Read 693 times)

Offline andrejrTopic starter

• Contributor
Hi everyone!

Where do you get your SMD to through hole adapter boards for breadboarding? Do you get ready-made ones, or do you custom order them from the Chinese PCB suppliers?

If you do order them, do you maybe have a collection of pre-drawn boards or at least gerbers?

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor

The following users thanked this post: xvr

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Search "smd pcb" on Aliexpress
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

The following users thanked this post: Psi

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
My preference is to use the commercial products shown near the bottom of https://entertaininghacks.wordpress.com/2020/07/22/prototyping-circuits-easy-cheap-fast-reliable-techniques/

If using breakout boards, I would try to find some with pads for an on-board decoupling capacitor (unlike those shown).

Beware of surprising issues with solderless breadboards, e.g. https://entertaininghacks.wordpress.com/2024/03/16/practical-traps-with-a-one-transistor-audio-amplifier-solderless-breadboards-and-oscilloscopes/
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline shapirus

• Super Contributor
Aliexpress, mostly, but some footprints are either hard to find or so unexpectedly expensive that it may be quite reasonable to quickly design and order what you need at a PCB fab house (may well turn out faster and cheaper!). In that case it may make sense to add e.g. bypass capacitor footprints to them, especially if you need boards for different parts with standard pinouts where the location of the VCC and GND pins is the same. Adding bypass caps to generic adapter boards is a PITA.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2024, 09:57:58 am by shapirus »

Offline PeteH

• Supporter
There are some.on digikey as well, Chip Quik, example:
https://www.digikey.ca/en/products/detail/chip-quik-inc/PA0087/5014718

KiCAD has libraries for a ton of SMD, you could put some together if you wanted to save money but had time to burn.

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
+1 for Aliexpress
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline shabaz

• Regular Contributor
Just in case it's useful, I have two personal designs that I use a lot, one for SOIC and the other for TSSOP. They are about 1" by 1.25" in size, so they are slightly squarer than most breakout boards, meaning there is some space for SMD discretes on top too. I think there's some features on these boards which are quite convenient, but I'm biased.

I ordered 50 of each (for $10.40 per 50 at the time), so that will last me ages, and that also ended up cheaper than AliExpress ready-made breakout boards probably.

I tried to create an all-in-one board, but I don't recommend it, because of the hassle of cutting it. For SOIC and TSSOP (which are the better of the layouts on that all-in-one board anyway, the rest are pretty average), it's convenient and cheaper to order them as separate boards.

The following users thanked this post: edavid

Offline exmadscientist

• Frequent Contributor
  • Technically A Professional
Re: SMD to through hole adapter boards for breadboarding: where to get?
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2024, 03:16:46 am »
TI has some nice little kits with good variety all in one package: see https://www.ti.com/tool/DIP-ADAPTER-EVM and others

They're not as cheap as some or as nice as others, but TI parts are everywhere so they're super easy to tack on to an order you're already making.

The following users thanked this post: edavid

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2024, 08:00:23 am »
These protoboards look pretty well thought out: you can add multiple SMD components in series/parallel with the IC pins, plus a few "random" components. I might even buy some :)

I would prefer a more complete ground plane, but there will always be tradeoffs in protoboards.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_ssn=jon_newcomb

One example, click to embiggen

« Last Edit: May 12, 2024, 08:06:33 am by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline kimballa

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2024, 07:20:09 pm »
I second the DIP-ADAPTER-EVM recommendation above... If you need a handful of each of the various sizes it contains, it's actually not bad bang for the buck. Digikey carries them so you can add it to an existing order for your other parts pretty easily. Don't forget to order a hundred or so cuttable pin headers too. (TE Connectivity MPN 5-146850-1. The price is per pin so dial up the quantity before you order... they'll come on a long row and you can cut between them with snips or grab a pair of adjacent pins with two needle nose pliers and rotate 180 degrees.)

Digikey or Mouser have a selection of other breakouts for particular package sizes; search for the "dip adapter" category.

If you need a lot, make your own. Jlcpcb will fab you a 5 pk of a 100x100mm pcb for $2 plus about $20 shipping to the US. You can use that 100mm^2 space to make a panel, which is good for about a 4x5 grid of SOIC breakouts or a vast array of SOT-23 or smaller. Combined with the five board minimum, that'll set you up with a lifetime supply of your chosen size. Or mix and match; I made a panel of alternating rows of SOIC-14 and SOIC-16 at one point.

You can do this in kicad; get the kikit plugin, which will help you with auto-panelization and making mouse bites.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf