Author Topic: Testing scopes  (Read 2529 times)

Offline Sky_hawkTopic starter

• Contributor
Testing scopes
« on: April 08, 2012, 12:11:10 am »
I'd like to test the rise/fall times on several of my scopes, what is a simple way to build a signal generator with for example a 10Mhz freq with very fast rise-times to serve as a signal source? Is it better to invest in a signal generator rather then to build one? any circuit suggestions?

Offline grumpydoc

• Super Contributor
Re: Testing scopes
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 07:44:20 am »
You need a pulse with <1nS rise times, there was a thread discussing this a while ago. You might also find this http://www.ko4bb.com/Manuals/09)_Misc_Test_Equipment/Novatech/Novatech_MTS529_Scope_Calibration_Source.pdf useful.

Offline bingo600

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 08:26:31 am »
I'm sure i saw something in the Rigol DS1052E thread , where they build a "Fast risetime" generator.

/Bingo

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 03:41:36 pm »
For low cost, available now there is a ~ $150 "100" MHz function generator discussed on eevblog, the Hantek 3x25, see the thread and mechatrommer's goltek software.  It can give you the basic test signals for measurements.

You can build the Jim Williams fast pulse generator.

Both are discussed in the Rigol 1052e threads.

Build or buy? depends on deals on eBay and if you can wait for a deal.   

The Jim Williams pulser will cost ~ $50-100 in parts, S&H included. 

I recently bought a Tek 284 70pS reference pulse generator for $100 and adjustable 10 MHz pulse generator for $25.  I waited over a year for the right moment.  Until then I used the Hantek as a test source. 

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects-designs-and-technical-stuff/generating-extremely-fast-rise-time-square-waves-for-probe-compensation/msg90410/#msg90410

Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 05:28:57 pm »
the jim williams pulser works really well. there is also a chip from maxim that can create a very fast rise time.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf