Author Topic: The TLV760xx regulators are a nice piece [s]of crap[/s]  (Read 5259 times)

Offline bloguetronicaTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
The TLV760xx regulators are a nice piece [s]of crap[/s]
« on: February 09, 2019, 03:33:42 am »
Hi all,

I just want to say that these regulators are crap. TI already has a complain of a TLV76033 regulator blowing up ant taking other devices with it. I can confirm that I had 5 TLV76050 regulators blowing up and damaging other ICs, even at a very low load, and normally at powerup. Really, don't use them.

Anyways, TI assumes all is fine and doesn't give a cent. I'm better off using the TPS70950 instead.

Kind regards, Samuel Lourenço
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 05:22:25 pm by bloguetronica »

Offline djnz

• Regular Contributor
Re: The TLV760xx regulators are a nice piece of crap
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 05:32:02 am »
Just out of curiosity, where were these parts sourced from?

Online T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 10:12:27 am »
Just out of curiosity, did you scope the input voltage and current to verify that they were within ratings at all times?

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 12:36:59 pm »
Hi Tim,

The parts were bought from Mouser. All the regulators were supplied with 24V and supplied no more than 16mA (to an expensive AD5551 and a LED).

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 10:31:57 pm »
I'm not convinced the IC is a lemon. Although TI is still full of datasheet bullshit "... spikes up to 30 V — for example, appliances and automation applications."
Anyone knows this part is a basic LDO in a SOT-23.

The IC cannot withstand -ve voltage transients at all.
35V max. input which at your 24V leaves little room for overvoltage transients.
It's well known the +ve voltage spike from connecting a wall-wart or laptop adapter to a board can kill an LDO. It depends on the input capacitor and wiring inductance.

TLV760 uses Sziklai and TPS709 uses mosfet.
Let us know if the TPS709 fixes your problem, but seeing the rest of your circuit would help before blaming the IC. It must have made alot of smoke.

Online T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 10:34:58 pm »
Ok, so no.

Take those measurements, and there you will find your answers. :)

Tim

Offline aheid

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2019, 10:44:19 pm »
Probably unrelated, but I got curious. Junction to ambient is listed as 270 C/W, with 16mA @ 3.3V out with 24V in, that'll be about 90 C above ambient, no? Without additional cooling, is this a bit marginal or ok?

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2019, 10:59:11 pm »
The little SOT-23 is on a PC board so I would estimate using RθJB Junction-to-board thermal resistance 56.8°C/W
16mA out is about 0.33W or 44°C, assuming there is some copper for heatsinking.

24V input is high for a 3.3V LDO, high stress on power up charging output capacitors. Output short-circuit current graphs datasheet fig. 11, 12 look pretty awful.
It's going to pop.

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2019, 11:13:34 pm »
Just drop in a 470 Ohm resistor on series with the input pin.
But why would you not drive the LED directly from the 24V in the first place?

Offline aheid

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2019, 11:25:47 pm »

Not just a LED.

supplied no more than 16mA (to an expensive AD5551 and a LED).

Offline aheid

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2019, 11:27:15 pm »
The little SOT-23 is on a PC board so I would estimate using RθJB Junction-to-board thermal resistance 56.8°C/W

Ah, misunderstood then, thought junction to ambient was via all paths (so board included). Thanks!

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2019, 02:54:09 am »
I'm not convinced the IC is a lemon. Although TI is still full of datasheet bullshit "... spikes up to 30 V — for example, appliances and automation applications."
Anyone knows this part is a basic LDO in a SOT-23.
So, I should know that this part is garbage, then?

The IC cannot withstand -ve voltage transients at all.
Who mentioned something about negative supplies here?

35V max. input which at your 24V leaves little room for overvoltage transients.
It's well known the +ve voltage spike from connecting a wall-wart or laptop adapter to a board can kill an LDO. It depends on the input capacitor and wiring inductance.

TLV760 uses Sziklai and TPS709 uses mosfet.
Let us know if the TPS709 fixes your problem, but seeing the rest of your circuit would help before blaming the IC. It must have made alot of smoke.
Not an argument I'm willing to accept. My linear and regulated power supply doesn't make excursions to 35V out of a sudden. 24V for a 35V absolute maximum shows that there is plenty of headroom. I'll soon test the TLV76033 and the TLV76050 on two spare boards, without no downstream components, except a 10uF capacitor and a resistor to drain 16mA. Then, after these regulators are blown (hopefully and most certainly they will), I'll use the TPS70933 and the TPS70955 in their place (provided that I can use some pads and wires for that).

As for the rest of the circuit, there was a chance that the INA180 could source some current to the 5V rail, but I confirmed that not to be the case. I took out other components that are in contact with other voltages from the 5V rail, and that still happens.

Ok, so no.

Take those measurements, and there you will find your answers. :)

Tim
See the attachments. Only a short circuit on the supply can cause spikes up to 35V, but that is rare.

On the other hand, I've used regulators rated for 16Vbeing fed by 9V DC-DC supplies, and had no problems. The headroom in that case is far smaller and the spikes can surpass 16V easily. But, again, I'm talking about extreme events like short circuits on the supply rails, upstream from the regulator. That is not what happened. I didn't have massive capacitors in my circuit the last times this happened. Anyways, even in that case, the 1uF capacitor that I've used should absorb the spike.

24V input is high for a 3.3V LDO, high stress on power up charging output capacitors. Output short-circuit current graphs datasheet fig. 11, 12 look pretty awful.
It's going to pop.
Yes, 16mA@24V is a bit extreme, but still tolerable. This LDO is advertised for 30V operation, but weak in practice. The SC protection doesn't work as advertised.

If you need to do that, then you know you have a crappy regulator. Anyway, a resistor set as described won't save your regulator in a no-load condition. It is best to use a better, more robust regulator.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 02:57:24 am by bloguetronica »

Online T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2019, 03:56:48 am »
Who mentioned something about negative supplies here?

It's a good caution in case of transients.  Stuff come out of nowhere.  Surge can be induced from nearby sources (most often, very fast pulses like ESD and EFT), from hot-plugging and accidental shorting, or from the load, or through other equipment connected to the device in question.

Never hurts to be paranoid.  Not having seen it, just means you haven't probed it in the right place when it happens. :)

Not an argument I'm willing to accept. My linear and regulated power supply doesn't make excursions to 35V out of a sudden. 24V for a 35V absolute maximum shows that there is plenty of headroom.

Actually, 48V is the expected worst-case for hot plugging; potentially several times more if ceramic caps are involved!

See the attachments. Only a short circuit on the supply can cause spikes up to 35V, but that is rare.

On the other hand, I've used regulators rated for 16Vbeing fed by 9V DC-DC supplies, and had no problems. The headroom in that case is far smaller and the spikes can surpass 16V easily. But, again, I'm talking about extreme events like short circuits on the supply rails, upstream from the regulator. That is not what happened. I didn't have massive capacitors in my circuit the last times this happened. Anyways, even in that case, the 1uF capacitor that I've used should absorb the spike.

I see positive clipping at ~16V, and the measurement says "19?" because it knows it's clipping (evidently the clipping happens somewhere offscreen).  Was the ultimate peak actually 35V?

1uF is actually a risk factor, not a helper in this case!

We can apply AC transient theory, with a few judicious guesses, and figure out what's happening.

Suppose the source is a "9V" wall wart*, say 2m cable, OCV = 12V, nominal load 500mA (so, it's internally probably something like, an impedance-protected transformer, bridge, and 1000uF filter cap with << 1 ohm ESR).  The cable is probably small zip cord, which will be around 0.3uH/m, or 0.6uH total.

When this is hot-plugged to the EUT, the voltage at the end of the cord is shorted to ~zero by the input filter cap.  This draws a rising current through the cable's ESL.  The initial rate is dI/dt = V/L, or about (12V) / (0.6uH) = 20 A/us.  If the capacitor is 1uF (nominal) and very low ESR (a ceramic would have maybe 0.1 ohm at this effective frequency), it forms a resonant circuit with the cable, so the current rises and, as the current rises, the voltage also rises.  If there is no ESR in this circuit, then the resonance will continue to its full peak.

Some time later (after 1/4 wave), the voltage is nominal (say 9 to 12V) but the current is maximum, so the voltage keeps going further.  By 1/2 wave, it stops at a peak of up to 24V (or, again, more if this is a nonlinear ceramic).  Now the output voltage is higher than the source, and current is ramping backwards, and the same thing happens again in reverse.

What time scale is this wave?  The resonant frequency is:
Fo = 1 / (2*pi*sqrt(L*C))
or 0.2MHz.  The period is 1/Fo, and we can divide that period into whatever fractions of the wave we like.  So, 5us total, or 1.25us to reach nominal voltage, 2.5us to reach peak, and so on.

What if we include ESR?

The source, cable, and input filter cap ESRs are all that matter so far.  Any additional load there might be, should also be included, but the LDO for example acts in parallel, so we need to use a parallel-series conversion for that, which may not be representative in the conditions we're considering anyway (in which case, we might as well hand-wave it, or simulate it).

The LDO also has a constant-current input characteristic, meaning it doesn't affect the AC waveform most of the time.  We can ignore it for now.

Now, ESR is generally undesirable for a power supply, right?  The purpose of a supply is to deliver a stable voltage, and the definition of resistance is a change in voltage with a change in current!  Well, the reality of it is this: nothing can be actually-zero ohms (except superconductors at DC, but there isn't really such a thing as true DC, either, hmm! :) ), so we need to look for how much impedance we can actually handle, and meet or exceed that spec.

Of course, an LDO's purpose is to stabilize a potentially messy source, so we shouldn't need to be very picky about it in this case!  We don't know what impedance is required, but we do know that a mostly-capacitive impedance (i.e., the suggested 1uF) will do, so we can match that, more or less.  (In particular, that impedance will only be critical around the crossover frequency of the LDO's control loop -- this isn't a tip you'll ever see in a textbook or app note, but that's what they're actually doing it for.)

So, that said, we can add ESR to the 1uF until we have a well damped resonant circuit.  How do we figure that out?  Well, it comes down to the solution of a quadratic equation.  If the solutions are complex, it resonates; real, it dampens.  This happens to cross over at what we call the characteristic impedance:
Zo = sqrt(L/C)

If ESR > Zo, it's dampened, else, resonant.

sqrt(0.6uH/1uF) ~= 0.8 ohms, so we don't need much.  And really, relative to a 16mA load?  That's going to be more than fine.  We could get away with tens of ohms and still have a happy regulator, I would bet.

We can connect a resistor in series with the cap, or we can simply choose an electrolytic with around that much ESR.  (Tantalum is handy for its built-in ESR -- and is much more stable than electrolytics' ESR -- but is not recommended for heavy supply rails and inrush, so we won't use them here.)

And we're done, right?

Well, we might take an extra moment to check worst-case conditions.  Maybe we need a lower impedance at the regulator anyway (this would definitely be the case for an SMPS regulator!).  Maybe we need to support longer cables, or softer supplies.  In that case, we might need a bare capacitor in parallel (without much ESR).  We can effectively slow it down, by connecting an R+C in parallel with it, where C >= 2.5 Co and R = ESR.

To handle longer cables (more ESL), Zo goes up, which means required ESR goes up even more.  To counter this, we can grow C proportionally.  This also gives us access to smaller ESRs in electrolytic type.

In short, don't worry too much about a relatively large cap -- as long as it's got enough ESR.  'Lytics are great for this; you can usually pop in, say, 100uF and not worry about it.

*I didn't notice if you mentioned what the typical source is, so I'm using an example here.  This isn't a straw-man by any means; drop in the appropriate parameters for another source and see what happens.  For example, a 9V battery on a 150mm clip lead, I would expect to see ESR in the several-ohms range, and ESL around 100nH.  With Zo = sqrt(0.1uH/1uF) ~= 0.3 ohm, the battery ESR will dominate, and the circuit will just kind of go thud when turned on. :)

Tim

The following users thanked this post: hans, Siwastaja, Ian.M, newbrain

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2019, 04:52:21 am »
Well, I did more tests. Managed to kill a TLV76050 by shorting the supply upstream several times (killed by a spike, certainly). Tested a TLV76033 in the same way, but it held. Next I've shorted the output and bang, killed it. Tested a second TLV76050 by shorting the output at progressively higher voltages, and noticed the SC protection fails at 19V. Didn't killed any by unplugging and re-plugging the supply.

In the case of the TLV70933, the load was a 100nF and a 2.2uF ceramic, a 10uF tantalum, and a 220 \$\Omega\$ resistor. In the case of the TLV70950, I've used a 330 \$\Omega\$ resistor in place of the 220 \$\Omega\$ one, being the caps the same.

I can only speculate that the regulator got damaged by a residual current originated by the OPA2180, via the AD5551. The OPA2180 was supplied directly by 24V, while the AD5551 was supplied by the 5V from the regulator. The output of the AD was connected to the input of the OPA. As far as I know, the inputs of an OPAMP can't inject the current back into the circuit, but I might be mistaken.

I'll test the TPS70933 and TPS70950 in a latter day. In my case, even if they don't resist the spikes, they will probably be more robust than the TLV760xx, since they can manage some voltage at the output while having no voltage at the input. They have reverse current protection, unlike the TLV760 series.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 05:12:35 am by bloguetronica »

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2019, 04:59:17 am »
250mA and 500msec/div :palm:

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2019, 05:07:06 am »
250mA and 500msec/div :palm:
Unfortunately, they haven't made a plot representing the capacity of this regulator to output the input voltage when failing. This regulator family is expunged from my current and future designs. I ven deleted the Eagle libraries that I had created previously. It would be a crime not to do so.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 05:18:26 am by bloguetronica »

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2019, 09:23:46 am »
If you need to do that, then you know you have a crappy regulator. Anyway, a resistor set as described won't save your regulator in a no-load condition. It is best to use a better, more robust regulator.

A) You are clearly overloading the regulator. "Continuously running the TLV760 into thermal
protection degrades device reliability."
B) Yes, it will save it, because it will dissipate the heat instead the TINY LDO that you are using with higher loads, provide short circuit protection, and reduce the turn on transient.
C) If shorting the regulator output blows it up... Then dont short it?! Why is this even discussed? It is not standard operation to short the output, a SOT23 LDO is not a CC CV power supply.

Offline iMo

• Super Contributor
  • It's important to try new things..
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2019, 12:12:39 pm »
The TIs datasheet calculates (8.1.3) the max power with RThJA=275degC/W, however.
With 24V input, and 3.3V/16mA output it gives you 91degC above ambient.
When the output is shorted the current could be 60mA (see the Fig.12 for 10V input), thus close to 400degC above ambient..

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2019, 01:44:49 pm »

A) You are clearly overloading the regulator. "Continuously running the TLV760 into thermal
protection degrades device reliability."
B) Yes, it will save it, because it will dissipate the heat instead the TINY LDO that you are using with higher loads, provide short circuit protection, and reduce the turn on transient.
C) If shorting the regulator output blows it up... Then dont short it?! Why is this even discussed? It is not standard operation to short the output, a SOT23 LDO is not a CC CV power supply.
A - It is possible.
B - No it doesn't protect the LDO from surges which, in any case, didn't happened when the AD5551s got fried.
C - This was done to assess the reliability of the regulator.

The TIs datasheet calculates (8.1.3) the max power with RThJA=275degC/W, however.
With 24V input, and 3.3V/16mA output it gives you 91degC above ambient.
When the output is shorted the current could be 60mA (see the Fig.12 for 10V input), thus close to 400degC above ambient..
Since the regulator is not floating in mid-air, you should use the junction to board figure of 56.8ºC. You then have 0.3312W of dissipated head, giving you a rise of 18.84ºC above ambient.

Anyway, the schematic is attached (the TLV76050 was replaced by the TPS70955, and the respective capacitors as well). You can see that there is no reason why this board failed on power-up.

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2019, 02:57:05 pm »
Well, it seems that the TPS70933 is even worse. It requires a 1K resistor in series with the input. Direct to 24V it blows instantly. Ok, back to the TLV760. I wonder if a choke could absorb those spikes. Or perhaps a 220 \$\Omega\$ resistor.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 05:25:11 pm by bloguetronica »

Offline Warhawk

• Frequent Contributor
    • Personal resume
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2019, 04:25:30 pm »
Look, I don't know what you're exactly doing but I recommend posting this on the E2E forum which is available online and is free of charge. Somebody will start dealing with your issue typically in less than 24 hours. It would be great if you could post pictures of your setup and eventually a circuit diagram. This often helps. (huh, how many times we've seen customers complaining that TI produces shit and then we saw a 2 MHz switcher without a PCB, put together with just a bunch of jumpwires...).
It may be a quality issue but I've been using e.g. TPS70933 for some time (last time today!) and have not had a problem yet.

PS: Not only TI has a lot of bullshit floating around. It is simply difficult to get qualified staff and customers want LDOs for 1 cent.

Best Regards,

Jiri, TI

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2019, 05:30:09 pm »
Look, I don't know what you're exactly doing but I recommend posting this on the E2E forum which is available online and is free of charge. Somebody will start dealing with your issue typically in less than 24 hours. It would be great if you could post pictures of your setup and eventually a circuit diagram. This often helps. (huh, how many times we've seen customers complaining that TI produces shit and then we saw a 2 MHz switcher without a PCB, put together with just a bunch of jumpwires...).
It may be a quality issue but I've been using e.g. TPS70933 for some time (last time today!) and have not had a problem yet.

PS: Not only TI has a lot of bullshit floating around. It is simply difficult to get qualified staff and customers want LDOs for 1 cent.

Best Regards,

Jiri, TI

Well, I don't want LDOs for 1 cent, but I want LDOs that won't damage parts. Yes, the TPS70933, the TLV76033 and the TLV76050 were all tested on a PCB. The circuit is available on the 18th post of this thread.

By the way, I've used the TPS70933 before. Never had a problem while connecting it to 5V. In your case, did you used 24V?

P.S.: Schematic available here too. I'll change the regulator back to the TLV76050, unless I see and advantage using the TPS70950. For sure, I'll have to use a resistor in series with the regulator.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 05:43:04 pm by bloguetronica »

Offline schmitt trigger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2019, 05:46:32 pm »
I would send some failed devices for decapping and have a good SEM image taken from the die.

Even though it will be identified as an “external EOS event”, the relative location of the event within the die can provide additional information about the nature of the failure. Specially if the EOS are always located in the same area.

Offline Warhawk

• Frequent Contributor
    • Personal resume
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2019, 06:13:23 pm »
I use TLV70933 in the application  up to 18 V. I needed something with ultra-low standby current. I saw your schematic after I submitted my post and didn't see there anything wrong. What kind of power supply do you use?
How long are the wires from the PS to your board? How do you enable the system? (turning on the PS, pressing the output on/off button or just connecting the banana plug?). Do you have any other testequipment (e.g. oscilloscope or a laptop) connected to your board? If so, is your output of the PS connected to the chassis, aren't there any grounding loops?

First, I would take measurements on the regulator (Vin-GND, Vout-GND). You have the right scope for it. Just use single shot.

Anyway, I really recommend you posting this on the E2E forum.

PS: I understand that you're upset and probably frustrated (I am the same blood type) but take measurements first. For example, we have a linear PS from a reputable company in the lab which does spikes up to 60V after turn-on. We probably ship millions of these so I would be really surprised if they were systematically failing at 24-V.

Regards, Jiri
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 06:26:10 pm by Warhawk »

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2019, 06:42:35 pm »
Well, I'm just plugging and unplugging to an already on power supply. That should pose no issue. I'll try to get some scope shots soon.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf