Author Topic: Threshold Crossing Detector Help  (Read 3154 times)

Offline veryevilTopic starter

• Supporter
Threshold Crossing Detector Help
« on: May 15, 2011, 05:35:03 pm »
Hi, I've been trying for a while now to detect when a voltage crosses a threshold. I've been using comparators. First the LM311 and now the TL3016.

The threshold I'm after is 2.5v and I've been trying to use a hysteresis of around 100mv but nothing seems to work. Either its very noisy with HF spikes or the hysteresis seems not to be centred.

Ultimately I am try to detect zero current through a motor using a current shunt and current shunt monitor LT1999 or INA282.

These both give a voltage dependant on current and direction and is centred around 2.5v.

I used the LT1999 with its reference voltage pin into the TL3016 but it loaded it and affected the reference voltage. I then passed the reference though a MCP602 as a voltage follower and then into the TL3016 and this gave me a perfect output that triggered when the motor current was at zero (LT1999 output at 2.5v) however it only worked when my motor was in one direction. My motor drive uses PWM through a H-Bridge and runs in both directions.

Any ideas on getting the signal I need? Or another way of getting zero current through a motor?

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
Re: Threshold Crossing Detector Help
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 06:54:59 pm »
show your circuit.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 07:35:18 pm »
Is the power supply voltage regulated?

What's the required tolerance?

If your power supply has adequate tolerance just use a potential divider across it and a suitable feedback resistor, for example if you're running it from 5V, use two 12k for the potential divider and 300k for the feedback. The output impedance of the potential divider is 6k which with 300k will give 100mV of hysteresis: 5*6/300 = 0.1V

Offline Rufus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 07:42:06 pm »
These both give a voltage dependant on current and direction and is centred around 2.5v.

If you are trying to sense zero (or actually less than a small value of) current with a bipolar voltage indication of current you need a window comparator.

That is two comparators, in your case with thresholds set at say 2.4 and 2.6v and the outputs ored together.

Offline veryevilTopic starter

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 09:41:26 pm »
A window comparator seems to be the answer. I've set up a MCP602 as one with two trim pots for now and it seems to be working a treat. I should be able to shrink the window when its not on breadboard as there will be less noise.

Thanks Steven

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf