Author Topic: TPS65987D - Anybody else using this chip?  (Read 709 times)

Offline tron9000Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Still an Electronics Lab Tech
    • My Hack-a-day project page
TPS65987D - Anybody else using this chip?
« on: July 16, 2021, 11:54:37 am »
Hi Guys and gals, Its been a while since I last posted.

I have a problem involving the TPS65987D and not sending data from any of its I2C ports upon a successful event.

I've been following TIs application note in order to set the current limit into a BQ257x3 Bi-directional Buck-Boost Charger. (x = 0, 1 or 2 they are all near as damn it identical)

Now I have managed to find a configuration of the I2C ports where I am Using I2C2 as a slave from the host controller and use I2C1 as a master to the Charger. I have been able to configure the PD controller to send data from it to the charger upon POR event. I checked this by reading the registers of the battery charger using the battery management studio GUI that TI supplied, and they were mostly correct, some where set to 0 and some had reserved field that set themselves, but there was a level of confidence that the data was being sent.

The problems start when I want to send I2C data to the charger upon triggered events. I set up a sink contract(5V, 3A) and trigger event and programmed the EEPROM for the PD controller. Reset the power on the device and the initialisation config is loaded to the charger as before but when I connect a source to my device, the PD controller acknowledges the contract successfully (which I confirmed from the PD controller GUI interface), but the data is not being sent to the charger.

Now I've scoured the TI forums for a someone with the same problem that has a fix, and there are people with similar problems, but no fix. Someone MUST have a fix. even if its something stupid as not defining a parameter or setting a flag in the PD config tool.

Has anyone else experienced this with this PD controller? Do they have a solution?

On a tangent, what are peoples opinions of TI as a company now? I used to think they were good, but now am loosing confidence, not related to the above issue mind you, but their quality in support and documentation.
Partsbox.io - orangise your parts!
"If you're green you can only ripen. If you're ripe you can only rot!"

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf