Author Topic: Weird fuse arrangement  (Read 853 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online Alex EisenhutTopic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3728
  • Country: ca
  • Place text here.
Weird fuse arrangement
« on: April 19, 2025, 03:23:16 am »
I have this Commodore 128 power supply I need to deep clean so I took it apart. It works fine, it's just filthy.

It has a user accessible fuse holder, you can see it on the bottom of the supply. But it's not what it seems.
 
First time I see an arrangement like this.

Did someone change their mind too late in the design, or is this some weird regulatory thing maybe?

It's made in Japan during the late '80s.
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.
 
The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline UnijunctionTransistor

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 483
  • Country: us
  • Ohms Law: Resistance is futile.
Re: Weird fuse arrangement
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2025, 03:33:15 am »
In the background, on the photo where the bodged fuse appears, there is this ironic message of: “for continued protection replace only with the same type fuse”.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2025, 03:34:53 am by UnijunctionTransistor »
 

Online macboy

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 2410
  • Country: ca
Re: Weird fuse arrangement
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2025, 01:05:54 pm »
I can only guess but perhaps this unit was sold in a market where user replaceable fuses are not allowed for safety/other reasons.
 

Online Alex EisenhutTopic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3728
  • Country: ca
  • Place text here.
Re: Weird fuse arrangement
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2025, 05:04:31 pm »
The Commodore 1541 drive has a user-accessible fuse on the mains side.

This power supply fuse is on the 9VAC secondary. There's another fuse on the board on the other secondary that feeds the 5V switcher.

The 9VAC line is quite lightly loaded on the 128. Why put that fuse accessible but not the other one? I don't know what the logic is here. Just funny. At least it's cleaner now.
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.
 


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->