Author Topic: What's the schematic symbol for a wire nut?  (Read 1432 times)

Offline RasteristTopic starter

• Contributor
What's the schematic symbol for a wire nut?
« on: November 15, 2020, 07:32:51 pm »
I'm working on a project where I'd like to join several grounds together with a wire nut.  Is there a schematic symbol for that?

Offline pwlps

• Frequent Contributor
Re: What's the schematic symbol for a wire nut?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2020, 07:43:21 pm »
The wire nut won't be on the PCB so you don't need a symbol, take a 1-pin connector with a minimum footprint.

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
Re: What's the schematic symbol for a wire nut?
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2020, 07:46:23 pm »
you need to draw your own things for those levels of abstraction on wiring chart, its basically like being a cartoonist at this point without clear standards or guidelines. you need to draw them as you think your audience wants to see them.

This is what I see
1) lazy/strict documentation : normal industrial wiring diagram is shown (as in a motor and a drive) with footnotes about what connectors are appropriate (send to the most advanced users). This feels like getting a balonga sandwich. Yea whatever dude, take your gruel and go.

2) more creative/thoughtful documentation : some kind of clear caricature is drawn of the connector to be used. (has more mass market appeal). Usually the advanced users won't complain because its a sight for sore eyes to see someone draw anything but a dot and hit a typewriter. I prefer this kind. Also since you see it on the paper you are WAY less likely to get a support question or have people mess it up (its hard to fuck up copying a picture). This is kinda fancy and more nutritious.

If someone tried to define a international or even national symbol for a wiring nut, the confusion would be hilarious.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 07:55:39 pm by coppercone2 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf