Author Topic: What's with the "Space Shuttle" marking on some cables  (Read 1086 times)

Offline NiHaoMikeTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
What's with the "Space Shuttle" marking on some cables
« on: June 29, 2022, 04:08:26 am »
I have a few cables that are marked "Space Shuttle", although I don't think they're related to aerospace in any way. The really odd part is that some of the cables are SATA, a standard that didn't even exist for most of the Shuttle's service life. Is that marking just to fool beginners into thinking the cable is really high quality?
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
Re: What's with the "Space Shuttle" marking on some cables
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2022, 04:15:24 am »
It's the name of the company that makes them, Space Shuttle Cables (Space Shuttle Hi-Tech Co., LTD.)

http://www.spaces.com.tw/
« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 04:17:15 am by sleemanj »
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

The following users thanked this post: NiHaoMike, edavid

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2022, 04:17:37 am »
Is that marking just to fool beginners into thinking the cable is really high quality?

Indicates the altitude it (and you) will reach when it blows up.
iratus parum formica

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2022, 02:37:01 pm »
  FWIW   I have a whole box full of cables that came out of the space shuttles and none of them are marked "space shuttle" they're only marked with the usual meaningless numbers.  But they are in bags with NASA documentation and most have large NASA marked paper tags attached directly to them by cloth string.

The only time that I've seen a military or NASA item marked for system that it was going into is on a tape recorder that I have and it says "Built by the Leach Corporation for the Apollo Spacecraft".  One of the other id plates on it says "Collins Radio" with more meaningless numbers.  Collins was the prime contractor for the radio systems used by Apollo. Leach corporation was well known for making very high quality relays used in aircraft and they were a subcontractor to Collins Radio on the Apollo program.

Offline exmadscientist

• Frequent Contributor
  • Technically A Professional
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2022, 10:28:05 pm »
It's the name of the company that makes them, Space Shuttle Cables (Space Shuttle Hi-Tech Co., LTD.)

http://www.spaces.com.tw/
Not to be confused with (their nemesis? bitter rival? subcontractor?) Shiny Space Enterprise Co. Ltd., who produces... capacitors. And, I hope deep down in my heart, costumes for 1960s TV shows.

(Incidentally they both appear to be decent suppliers.)

My favorite off-brand vendor, however, remains T & A Brothers (who, naturally, make connectors... or was that hardware?). They seem to be harder to track down on the English internet, but certain pieces of test equipment get a lot of stuff from good ol' T & A.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf