Author Topic: Wurth vs Nichicon Capacitors regarding Life (twice the life @ half the cost?)  (Read 1604 times)

Offline MrCreosoteTopic starter

• Contributor
100uf 25v caps:  Wurth 860240474005 offers almost 2x the 105C life (8000 vs 5000 hrs) of the Nichicon UPV1E101MGD1TD at half the cost ($0.34 vs 0.71) at Digikey

I'm looking for the longest lasting electrolytic in a low temp application (Belkin KVM switch).

Given the low price, should I expect the Wurth to have significantly greater life?

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/filter/aluminum-electrolytic-capacitors/58?s=N4IgjCBcoGwJxVAYygMwIYBsDOBTANCAPZQDaIALGGABxwDsIAuoQA4AuUIAyuwE4BLAHYBzEAF9CAVgAMNRCBSQMOAsTLgwAZnoVmbTpB79hYySHoAmKQqUq8hEpHKWtMKVoiFLNGNT0sIBxcvIKiEt4y9AjQimhYDurOINYABABq%2BkGGIACqQgLsAPKoALK46NgArny4ESAAtJa2UPxVak7kNkzmDTaxdgkdGs095s3JYDIyVaip1gBuqUjorOhIhUR8qXzoACYCWFkwCgJ7XA1TXtlcIITsAJ6sdUaVKOLiQA

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
There's nothing wrong with Wurth and nothing magical about Nichicon.  I think both are likely to last an eternity in your application provided the ripple current and voltage are low enough.  Comparing specifications between manufacturers is tricky and I wouldn't read too much into that.  I would use whichever physically fit the best, was most readily available and cost the least--in that order.
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
Pro tip, never take the price of a Würth component from Digikey, as it often times will be orders of magnitude more than what you actually pay for the part if you buy directly from them. Maybe not for this part. And the same can be true for other suppliers.

Offline MrCreosoteTopic starter

• Contributor
Thanks for the replies,

The caps in question are identical spec and size wise.
I was surprised that 10% had significantly shorter lives (perhaps once they degrade beyond the 10%, they are considered "failed.)

I'll get some Wurth.  Never had any.
Thanks

Offline Daixiwen

• Frequent Contributor
I'd advise buying from Wurth directly too. They are cheap, deliver quickly and are very friendly.
They also sell some SMD components kits with a lifetime free refill , which is great for prototyping.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
100uf 25v caps:  Wurth 860240474005 offers almost 2x the 105C life (8000 vs 5000 hrs) of the Nichicon UPV1E101MGD1TD at half the cost ($0.34 vs 0.71) at Digikey

I'm looking for the longest lasting electrolytic in a low temp application (Belkin KVM switch).

Given the low price, should I expect the Wurth to have significantly greater life?

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/filter/aluminum-electrolytic-capacitors/58?s=N4IgjCBcoGwJxVAYygMwIYBsDOBTANCAPZQDaIALGGABxwDsIAuoQA4AuUIAyuwE4BLAHYBzEAF9CAVgAMNRCBSQMOAsTLgwAZnoVmbTpB79hYySHoAmKQqUq8hEpHKWtMKVoiFLNGNT0sIBxcvIKiEt4y9AjQimhYDurOINYABABq%2BkGGIACqQgLsAPKoALK46NgArny4ESAAtJa2UPxVak7kNkzmDTaxdgkdGs095s3JYDIyVaip1gBuqUjorOhIhUR8qXzoACYCWFkwCgJ7XA1TXtlcIITsAJ6sdUaVKOLiQA
Both of those prices have nothing to do with their real cost at quantity which is at least 10 times less. And it could easily be that Digikey buys Nichicon for less but puts more markup.

Offline huababua

• Contributor
Würth parts are generally okay. I also made the experiance that it is much cheapter to buy direct.
One thing which I dont really like about them; They dont manufacture inductors and capacitors themselfs - they just buy them at some cheap chinese manufacturers and rebrand them.

For inductors I know that coilcraft and bourns are doing their own - development and manufacturing. Coilcraft is also building the machines by themselfes.

The following users thanked this post: marhuum

Online peter-h

• Super Contributor
  • Doing electronics since the 1960s...
Isn't Wurth made in china, with the use of a German name done just to impress and to obtain a much higher price?

I see Wurth integrated-magnetics RJ45s which are 5x the price of certain chinese ones but look exactly the same, and work exactly the same.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2023, 01:44:43 pm by peter-h »
Z80 Z180 Z280 Z8 S8 8031 8051 H8/300 H8/500 80x86 90S1200 32F417

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf