Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next
RF, Microwave, Ham Radio / Re: High bandwidth FM signal generation
« Last post by A.Z. on Today at 04:44:02 pm »
are you trying to build a cell phone "blanker" ?!?
Hi Niall135,

Sorry to hear that the camera resisted your attempts to revive it.

I bought a BF5421 a while ago. Nice camera with a 400 x 300 pixel VOX FPA  :-+

With regard to parts of the Series 80 camera that would be useful to me, the ape icon tube might help me revive a French Thermocam  that I have.

All the best with your Series 80 conversion project  :-+

Fraser
Test Equipment / Re: Multimeter selection for production testing
« Last post by mawyatt on Today at 04:42:41 pm »
I kid you not, we found a 34465A, that was connected to a test setup, and was doing nothing.  :-DD
Production people didn't even turn it on anymore. Anyway, I was kind of looking forward trying the SDM3045X/SDM3055X. I guess next time.

Keep looking around you may find a KS3458A also connected that they forgot about  ;D

Best,
Test Equipment / Re: Choosing between entry-level 12-bit DSOs
« Last post by wasedadoc on Today at 04:42:25 pm »
1) oscilloscope is not properly BW limited, so Sinc filter is unable to reconstruct perfectly, instead of nice sine, it creates AM sine.

140MHz is below Nyquist.
Referring to the photo in post #436, one cycle of the undulation frequency occurs every 5 cycles of the  varying amplitude 136.17 MHz which makes the undulation 27.234MHz.  So one sideband is 136.17 + 23.234 which is 163.40 MHz. That is more than half the 312.5 MHz sample rate.
Microcontrollers / Re: RIP Z80
« Last post by coppice on Today at 04:41:32 pm »
I think most MCUs are designed for a specific automotive or other consumer application, against a customer requirement for say 10M chips annually. This is pretty obvious with some chips like Siemens ones that go into ECUs but you rarely see them generally.
That used to be a common practice, but things have changed. Producing a new die is now so expensive vendors want to develop MCUs that can potentially cater to a whole application segment, rather than a particular customer. So they tend to survey customers, and try to figure out a feature set that will have broad enough appeal to capture a number of big players in that application space. Then they make the chip and offer it in their catalogue. This has created some interesting brinkmanship dynamics. Leave out one pin needed by some of the big players, and you can be out of the market. The few cents of extra hardware needed to simulate that missing pin can kill your chances. Throw in a few too many things, and pad out the pin count, and you might be too physically big or too expensive.
But since almost nobody doing that is posting here (not allowed to, for a start) we are talking mostly about lower volume stuff.
You'd be surprised. A number of people here either work or used to work in high volume stuff.
Repair / Re: Lecroy service manual for SDA6020 or Wavemaster 8600?
« Last post by speclab on Today at 04:41:15 pm »
I'm in need of the Wavemaster 8600 service manual also.
Test Equipment / Re: Choosing between entry-level 12-bit DSOs
« Last post by 2N3055 on Today at 04:37:40 pm »
All 4 channels on.
I was looking at slide pots for a prototype, so I bought up a few different models for sizing, to see which ones would fit in the enclosure I was going to use.

Whilst there's generally 45mm travel and 60mm travel, aliexpress and ebay have lots of those 75mm ones (60mm travel, but slimmer), often stereo, that are quite low profile  - like the bourns PTA6043 - and was a better fit than the larger ones like Taiwan Alpha RA6020F

Examples of the cheap clones are here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DollaTek-Potentiometer-Double-Linear-Electronic/dp/B081JNQ7MM

I bought a pack of 5 from a random ebay seller, and one from a known "good" seller, that was mounted on a breakout board for use with Arduino/Rpi etc..

They're the perfect size for my prototype, but the taper is odd.  It seems to be a "W" taper, despite all being labeled as B103 - which is usually 10k linear.  The value goes from 1k to 9k (10% to 90%) between 25 and 75% of travel, which to me at least, looks like a classic W taper used in graphic EQ's.   As a quick and dirty test, I used an Arduino to read the wipers with the top and bottom hooked to 5V/GND, and roughly moved it 6mm at a time to get 9 readings, and reading both tracks.

All 7 pots I have use this taper, which is annoying since it can't be used for linear control apps - even if I used a lookup table to correct its less than ideal.  But it seems these are perfect for making graphic EQ's like the classic MXR 6 band EQ. 

So this is just a FYI post in case others wanted to use these for control inputs and got funky results.

Test Equipment / Re: Multimeter selection for production testing
« Last post by KungFuJosh on Today at 04:37:11 pm »
I kid you not, we found a 34465A, that was connected to a test setup, and was doing nothing.  :-DD
Production people didn't even turn it on anymore. Anyway, I was kind of looking forward trying the SDM3045X/SDM3055X. I guess next time.

I guess I could trade you my SDM3045X that's upgraded to the SDM3055X-E for your 34465A. 🤔
Programming / Re: Linux Dependency Black Hole
« Last post by mag_therm on Today at 04:28:52 pm »
Hi tatel, I don't yet have an R Pi here, I use industrial computers running on 13.8V DC , the main one is Aaeon 6651 https://www.aaeon.ai/en/product/detail/boxer-6641
No problem with capacity.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next